The Student Room Group

What reasons have you used to get an extension?

I have sooo many deadlines this thursday and slowly realising I can't meet them all... I need to apply for an extension but I was just wondering what reasons I can give. The reason I can't meet them is because my laptop got a virus and was out of action for a few days...it had all my essays on. (Stupid I know, I have since ordered an external hard drive to back it all up automatically.) Also the internet hasn't been working in my accomodation block the past day or two. I can't use any of this as reasons though as IT problems aren't considered at all.

I had food poisoning in first year and last term had flu so can't use them again. Not sure what I can go with this time...

Scroll to see replies

Face up to it and organise your time better?

I was administered to hospital with bronchitis at the start of last week but still got my 5000 word research project (which I hadn't started) written in time for the deadline. :colonhash:
Reply 2
Why can't you get food poisoning twice?

Or what marcusmerehay said ^^
You were adopted, but never told. You've just found out; so you wanted to track down your biological parents. You searched for them, and bam you got an address for your mother. So you dress up and all and go to visit her, but without calling first... just to surprise her :wink:. You go over to her house, only to find a depressed cat; you go to the neighbours and ask them about what's happened, they tell you that she'd been killed the day before :lolwut:. The police come and you ask them what's going on, they tell you that your foster parents are suspects :shock: now they're both arrested, your biological mother is gone, and your biological father was apparently a junkie who knocked up the woman and fleed .... so now you're in a pretty dark place and need more time :dontknow:
Reply 4
Conflicting workload happens to most of us at some point, so you're just going to have to get on with the work and try and meet the deadlines. Not sure there's any point lying. Anyway, dont you have to give proof that you need one? Or is that just extenuating circumstances?
Reply 5
1. cba
2. overslept pass the deadline
Reply 6
Original post by marcusmerehay

I was administered to hospital with bronchitis at the start of last week but still got my 5000 word research project (which I hadn't started) written in time for the deadline. :colonhash:

Original post by tbm
Conflicting workload happens to most of us at some point, so you're just going to have to get on with the work and try and meet the deadlines. Not sure there's any point lying. Anyway, dont you have to give proof that you need one? Or is that just extenuating circumstances?

This and this. :colonhash:
Original post by marcusmerehay

That music video in your sig is so awesome, the MTV dance version makes no sense but it does now after seeing the uncut one. Still freaks me out though!

Wow thats impressive, its because I have 4 3000 word assignments due on the same day though that I am doomed! I do realise its my own fault for not organising my time well enough and not backing up my work but that doesn't help me now. Also I didn't know I wouldn't have internet access in my room for the whole week before the deadline. And the uni library is temporarily closed due to some power problems...
Original post by tbm

Once a term at my uni students can self-certificate an illness, i just need to come up with something plausible and get it signed by my tutor to give to my department.
Original post by futuredoc77
You were adopted, but never told. You've just found out; so you wanted to track down your biological parents. You searched for them, and bam you got an address for your mother. So you dress up and all and go to visit her, but without calling first... just to surprise her :wink:. You go over to her house, only to find a depressed cat; you go to the neighbours and ask them about what's happened, they tell you that she'd been killed the day before :lolwut:. The police come and you ask them what's going on, they tell you that your foster parents are suspects :shock: now they're both arrested, your biological mother is gone, and your biological father was apparently a junkie who knocked up the woman and fleed .... so now you're in a pretty dark place and need more time :dontknow:

Interesting/twisted imagination you've got there!
Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare
Interesting/twisted imagination you've got there!

why thank you.... it's what happens when the sun goes down :teehee:
Reply 11
Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare
That music video in your sig is so awesome, the MTV dance version makes no sense but it does now after seeing the uncut one. Still freaks me out though!

Wow thats impressive, its because I have 4 3000 word assignments due on the same day though that I am doomed! I do realise its my own fault for not organising my time well enough and not backing up my work but that doesn't help me now. Also I didn't know I wouldn't have internet access in my room for the whole week before the deadline. And the uni library is temporarily closed due to some power problems...

No, it doesn't. But let's be honest: the real reason why you're in trouble is that you started on your assignments far too late, not that you had a virus on your laptop and limited internet access for a few days.:erm: I'd say instead of spending your time trying to figure out creative ways of getting an extension which you're not really entitled to, you should just bite the bullet, finish those assignments as best you can and make sure you manage your time better in the future. You should be treating all your submission deadlines as final from the start. It's a bad idea to begin an assignment with the assumption that if worst comes to worst you'll always be able to negotiate an extension, because that won't always work - and to be fair, that isn't really what extensions are for anyway. They're for things which are beyond your control, like sudden illness or natural disasters, they're not meant as a lifeline for chronic procrastinators.
So anyway, my advice would be to stop trying to think of excuses and start thinking about damage limitation. It'll do more good in the long run, no?:dontknow:
Reply 12
Ill.

By that way, the oxymoron in your username is quite immense.
Not sure about your unis policy for lateness but at mine you lose 10% per day late. If I were you I would start now and use the lateness penalty as motivation to finish as soon as you can after the deadline :dontknow:
Original post by T-Toe
Ill.

Its not really an oxymoron, its more just a contradiction of terms. And it was my favourite album when I signed up.
Original post by lolololol
Not sure about your unis policy for lateness but at mine you lose 10% per day late. If I were you I would start now and use the lateness penalty as motivation to finish as soon as you can after the deadline :dontknow:

Any lateness, even a minute after 4pm means 0....
Reply 16
You were lazy and didn't have the discipline to get stuck into the work.

You should have had a hard-drive to back up long before you came to uni but now you realise that.

Say those 2 lines, should work, if not, damn.
Original post by chrislpp
You were lazy and didn't have the discipline to get stuck into the work.

You should have had a hard-drive to back up long before you came to uni but now you realise that.

Say those 2 lines, should work, if not, damn.

I admitted being stupid about the hard drive but it has nothing to do with me being lazy and not getting stuck into the work. I am 75% done with most of the assignments but losing almost a week's working time has meant I am now struggling to finish.
Original post by T-Toe
Ill.

What illness though?
Original post by hobnob
No, it doesn't. But let's be honest: the real reason why you're in trouble is that you started on your assignments far too late, not that you had a virus on your laptop and limited internet access for a few days.:erm: I'd say instead of spending your time trying to figure out creative ways of getting an extension which you're not really entitled to, you should just bite the bullet, finish those assignments as best you can and make sure you manage your time better in the future. You should be treating all your submission deadlines as final from the start. It's a bad idea to begin an assignment with the assumption that if worst comes to worst you'll always be able to negotiate an extension, because that won't always work - and to be fair, that isn't really what extensions are for anyway. They're for things which are beyond your control, like sudden illness or natural disasters, they're not meant as a lifeline for chronic procrastinators.
So anyway, my advice would be to stop trying to think of excuses and start thinking about damage limitation. It'll do more good in the long run, no?:dontknow:

There is an element of truth in what you're saying. I will try to take on board your advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending