The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZizAli
Please?

He is not saying Walcott has a 'goal a game' ratio. He's saying that it's very hard to find a midfielder (and he is a midfielder judging from how much effort he puts into tracking back) who does have a 1:1 ratio. His goalscoring record this season has been good...not exceptional, and it doesn't make him one of the world's best, but it has been good. You would be silly to deny that. But performing for half the season isn't good enough and he needs to do well in these last 16 league games as well. Agreed?
Original post by ZizAli
Please?

You've completely misunderstood my point, which was that NO STRIKER has a 1:1 shot:goal ratio.

Jeez.
Original post by Overmars
He is not saying Walcott has a 'goal a game' ratio. He's saying that it's very hard to find a midfielder (and he is a midfielder judging from how much effort he puts into tracking back) who does have a 1:1 ratio. His goalscoring record this season has been good...not exceptional, and it doesn't make him one of the world's best, but it has been good. You would be silly to deny that. But performing for half the season isn't good enough and he needs to do well in these last 16 league games as well. Agreed?

Thanks Overmars!
Perfect explanation, but for a slight adjustment: I'm a "she" not a "he" :wink:
Didn't realise you were talking about 'shots per goal' and not 'goal per game' either :facepalm2:

Apologies.
Original post by ZizAli
I think this is completely unfair for a few reasons.
1. If we win I am not happy. Just because Walcott is scoring goals does not make me happy. Just because we are in Semis of Carling Cup I am not happy. Just because we beat Chelsea I am not happy. I am by no means happy when we do something right because it is short term, my problems lie in the long term.

Lololol :adore:
Reply 1665
There's way too much beefing in this thread these days.
Reply 1666
The Guardian
Wenger's side cause excitement to break out when they meet the other teams in the leading pack. Members of the top five in the table have so far played one another on a dozen occasions this season. Of the 20 goals in those games, 15 have occurred in the matches involving Arsenal. The statistic is slightly influenced by the fact that they have already taken part in six of such encounters but it also reflects their blend of flair and fragility.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jan/17/arsene-wenger-arsenal-excitement
I think Flair and Fragility was written by Jane Austen.
Original post by Captain92
You've completely misunderstood my point, which was that NO STRIKER has a 1:1 shot:goal ratio.

Jeez.

Okay, excuse my misunderstanding.
Ok, you are consistent. That much is clear.

I'd hate to be your life coach but in many ways that is worse -- can you not just lighten up a bit? I mean being "not happy" when Walcott scores a goal...wtf is that? It's a game. Enjoy it. If you're going to be constantly 'unhappy' when watching us play then you might as well not watch us play.

Right now, Walcott has contributed to the team thus far. In the league he has bagged 6 goals and 4 assists. This is an average contribution, not bad, but not great. The trouble is that it is inconsistent. He will score a hat trick against Blackpool and do absolutely nothing for the next 10 games. Much like for England, he scored a hat trick against Croatia and has never scored since. His contribution is more than his quality, and in the long run quality prevails and he will fail. This is why I hate the fact that we now all of a sudden have confidence in him. Wenger appears to have no back up for the wing now because Walcott has "arrived". We have set ourselves up for extreme disappointment. Proof of my argument is Arshavin. We all know he is capable of fantastic performances but right now he is not putting the work in, but yet he has still bagged 4 goals and 9 assists. Better than Walcott, but yet in all of this Walcott is the hero and Arshavin is the villian. Quality always prevails. So yes, I do agree. Walcott must perform for the remaining 16 games but him being our first choice winger for years to come is a very worrying thing for Arsenal football club.

Edit: Any by NO means do I judge a player on the amount of goals they score. But Walcott offers nothing more to the team.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ar5enal Fan
You were criticising Walcott for missing chances and they just said well give them an example of any striker that scores every single shot. There's no statistics to find.

And stop being so pessimistic. I'm sure you were probably saying Chelsea have a strong squad and will comfortably finish ahead of us before the season and they haven't been dominant at all. Man City with all their millions are barely ahead of us and we're still involved in all 4 competitions. It's hardly the most depressing season is it? You say you think long term but would splashing money everywhere just when we moved stadium and had big debts to pay be good for us in the long term? Yes Wenger has made some bad decisions both transfer wise and tactics wise at times and some fans understandably want him gone but I don't think he's done as bad a job as you keep making out.

Walcott has a near 1:2 shots to goals ratio. 33 Shots, 14 goals:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/67507/theo-walcott?cc=5739

To say he hasn't been clinical this season is frankly absurd.
Original post by Complex Simplicity
Walcott has a near 1:2 shots to goals ratio. 33 Shots, 14 goals:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/67507/theo-walcott?cc=5739

To say he hasn't been clinical this season is frankly absurd.

I would absolutely agree with you, he has been absolutely clinical.

The problem here is that I can read.

He has played 14 times, not scored.

6 goals, 33 shots. Clinical?
Original post by ZizAli
Right now, Walcott has contributed to the team thus far. In the league he has bagged 6 goals and 4 assists. This is an average contribution, not bad, but not great. The trouble is that it is inconsistent. He will score a hat trick against Blackpool and do absolutely nothing for the next 10 games. Much like for England, he scored a hat trick against Croatia and has never scored since. His contribution is more than his quality, and in the long run quality prevails and he will fail. This is why I hate the fact that we now all of a sudden have confidence in him. Wenger appears to have no back up for the wing now because Walcott has "arrived". We have set ourselves up for extreme disappointment. Proof of my argument is Arshavin. We all know he is capable of fantastic performances but right now he is not putting the work in, but yet he has still bagged 4 goals and 9 assists. Better than Walcott, but yet in all of this Walcott is the hero and Arshavin is the villian. Quality always prevails. So yes, I do agree. Walcott must perform for the remaining 16 games but him being our first choice winger for years to come is a very worrying thing for Arsenal football club.

Edit: Any by NO means do I judge a player on the amount of goals they score. But Walcott offers nothing more to the team.

I disagree. Last season this was true, but for the moment, the last 5 or so games walcott has played consistently well. Moreover, there hasn't been a 10 game stretch of bad performances from theo this season at all . He's only had 14 league appearances this season of which only 7 have been starts, give the guy a break, he's only 21 ffs.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ZizAli
but him being our first choice winger for years to come is a very worrying thing for Arsenal football club.

It wasn't a worry when Marc Overmars was around -- and all he had was pace and the ability to finish too. The genius of Bergkamp was around and therefore he kept getting chances on goal and ended up scoring his fair share. With the quality in our creative midfield, Walcott will be allowed to do the same. Whether he's got natural talent like Arshavin matters **** all to me -- what matters is what he does, and a major advantage he has over Arshavin is that he tracks back a lot.
He's only had 14 league appearances this season.

7 of which were subbed appearances. He struggles to make an impact as a sub because he can't create something out of nothing. He's much better when the game is more open and the number of goals he has got in all competitions (unless we're arrogant enough to assume we're too good for Europe as well?) is impressive considering the number of starts. He needs to keep that going.
7 of which were subbed appearances. He struggles to make an impact as a sub because he can't create something out of nothing. He's much better when the game is more open and the number of goals he has got in all competitions (unless we're arrogant enough to assume we're too good for Europe as well?) is impressive considering the number of starts. He needs to keep that going.

Exactly, tbh this isn't the time to be criticising walcott. He's on a good patch of form and at the moment can be relied upon to consistently make things happen. Moreover he actually tracks back as well (Unlike a Russian I know). He has a long way to go, but the reality is he's still developing and right now he seems to be doing quite well (now that we seemed to have finally have players who realise passing the ball into space would be a decent idea...). Walcott is a major asset to this team.
(edited 13 years ago)
It wasn't a worry when Marc Overmars was around -- and all he had was pace and the ability to finish too. The genius of Bergkamp was around and therefore he kept getting chances on goal and ended up scoring his fair share. With the quality in our creative midfield, Walcott will be allowed to do the same. Whether he's got natural talent like Arshavin matters **** all to me -- what matters is what he does, and a major advantage he has over Arshavin is that he tracks back a lot.

Overmars didn't look out of place on a football pitch. Overamars understood the game and knew how to apply himself. Walcott looks out of place, he tries things he knows he can't do and does not understand the game. I don't think it's fair to compare them as a whole.
Original post by ZizAli
Overmars didn't look out of place on a football pitch. Overamars understood the game and knew how to apply himself. Walcott looks out of place, he tries things he knows he can't do and does not understand the game. I don't think it's fair to compare them as a whole.

Utter garbage. If all else fails, just cling onto soundbytes like he "looks out of place"...

It's very fair to compare them. You quite simply don't know what you're talking about.
Original post by ZizAli

Subjective rubbish. By what criteria do you use to judge who 'looks out of place on a football pitch'?

The facts are he produces(4th top assists this season) , has end product (3rd top goal scorer this season) , tracks back and by his mere presence on the pitch frightens top defenders.
(edited 13 years ago)
Utter garbage. If all else fails, just cling onto soundbytes like he "looks out of place"...

It's very fair to compare them. You quite simply don't know what you're talking about.

Subjective rubbish. By what criteria do you use to judge who 'looks out of place on a football pitch'?

The facts are he produces (third highest goal scorer this season), has end product (4th top assists this season), tracks back and by his mere presence on the pitch frightens even top defenders.

Pair of donkeys. One is prepared to praise Walcott for his 1:2 goal to shot ratio. Do you watch football? I don't need to misread statistics to know that is complete rubbish. The other one who prefers the use of garbage over rubbish ridicules my view that he looks out of place on a football pitch. Comparing Walcott and Overmars because they are both fast is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in ages. Why not compare Messi and Vela because they are both short?
Ridiculed, blasted, attacked, abused and frowned upon at mid season. However come the end of the season I am praised and have endless people quoting me saying "I agree with ZizAli...". It's a damn shame.

What we have here at the Arsenal Society is the clearest case I've ever known of the blind leading the blind

Latest