The Student Room Group

CUSU Shadowing Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Languages Nutter
You should be assigned to a student by the system (your shadow student, that is). At the student end we've only just been "connected", so if my experience is correct then you should be able to send messages to each other via the "send a mentoring email" button. We've been advised to get in touch with our shadows first, since Year 12s may be a little nervous, but do feel free to send messages to your shadowing partners if you want.

I still haven't come up with a good noun for the students being shadowed. "Shadow-ee"? "Shadowing partner"? "Current students"?...

I'd say the students are our shadows, we're the shadow-ers or probably just "current students" :biggrin:
You should be assigned to a student by the system (your shadow student, that is). At the student end we've only just been "connected", so if my experience is correct then you should be able to send messages to each other via the "send a mentoring email" button. We've been advised to get in touch with our shadows first, since Year 12s may be a little nervous, but do feel free to send messages to your shadowing partners if you want.

I still haven't come up with a good noun for the students being shadowed. "Shadow-ee"? "Shadowing partner"? "Current students"?...

Oh, ok thanks for clarifying!

According to Cambridge I think you're called Mentors/ current students and we're shadows or "mentees" - I definitely saw that word somewhere! :tongue:
Original post by 03jenniferp
Ah awesome and you definitely shouldn't be scared at all I promise to be really nice it is just i'm one of the two John's Historians doing the scheme so I wanted to check you were definitely my one and not the other persons! :biggrin:

This is really good actually because you can tell me a bit more about you and I can organise things to do for when you come so that you get to see stuff you're interested in e.g. if you really were interested in debating I can take you to the Union to see a debate or if you're really into a sport I could take you along to a game/practice or if you like Drama I can take you to see a show etc.
So what are you interested in? :smile:

Also is History the only subject you're interested in because if there were other subjects you were thinking about I can introduce you to friends who do that subject :smile: Also btw I reckon you'll love it at St. John's - it really is one of the most brilliant colleges! (Not that I'm biased AT ALL!) :smile:

Yes, History is the only subject that I'm interested in.

I'd like to go see a debate if possible but other than that I don't really know. Suprise me I guess! :smile: (my main interests are history and reading but I don't know how helpful that is to you.)
Reply 83
Original post by spottyslope

Yes, yes it does. Should I be scared? :biggrin:

You're shadowing Jenni? Be terrified. TERRIFIED.
Original post by Bean_Giant
You're shadowing Jenni? Be terrified. TERRIFIED.

*runs away screaming* :biggrin:
Reply 85
Has anyone else been sent a copy of all the 'rules' of the shadowing scheme by their Access Officers? It's pretty ridiculous. Before we actually meet the shadow, we're not allowed to exchange any contact details over the Ementoring system, when we're with them, 'for practical purposes' we should exchange mobile numbers, but as soon as the scheme ends we're advised to delete that information 'for our own protection.' Apparently it's to be 100% professional at all times - so much for making a friend out of your shadow.
Original post by spottyslope
Yes, History is the only subject that I'm interested in.

I'd like to go see a debate if possible but other than that I don't really know. Suprise me I guess! :smile: (my main interests are history and reading but I don't know how helpful that is to you.)

Okie dokie I'll take you to a debate Thurs evening and i'll line up some other stuff for us to do as well! I don't know yet if I'll be having a supervision on any of those days but if possible I'll either try and rearrange mine so you can tag along or I'll attach you to a fellow John's historian for an hour whose supervisions tend to be later in the week (mine are usually around a tuesday you see).

Hmmm I will of course be taking you to some lectures etc. during the day so I just need to find us some fun activities for the afternoon! :smile: I'll get on it!

Oh and honestly no need to be afraid :p: Craig just likes to tease me :biggrin:
Reply 87

Okie dokie I'll take you to a debate Thurs evening and i'll line up some other stuff for us to do as well! I don't know yet if I'll be having a supervision on any of those days but if possible I'll either try and rearrange mine so you can tag along or I'll attach you to a fellow John's historian for an hour whose supervisions tend to be later in the week (mine are usually around a tuesday you see).

Hmmm I will of course be taking you to some lectures etc. during the day so I just need to find us some fun activities for the afternoon! :smile: I'll get on it!

Oh and honestly no need to be afraid :p: Craig just likes to tease me :biggrin:

Might be quite challenging trying to get your shadow into the Union debate without them being a member. By the looks of the pack CUSU have sent us there's plenty for the shadows to do and most of it is organised for them, rather than us being in control. There's a debating workshop at the union on the Friday afternoon arranged specifically for the shadowing scheme - might be better off doing that.
Reply 88
hya im on the scheme as well shadowing a undergrad med student, who else is staying at Pembroke college ? :biggrin:
The first part of the Shadowing Scheme starts today - I hope you all have a good journey up here and are looking forward to it!
Reply 90
Original post by Bean_Giant
Might be quite challenging trying to get your shadow into the Union debate without them being a member. By the looks of the pack CUSU have sent us there's plenty for the shadows to do and most of it is organised for them, rather than us being in control. There's a debating workshop at the union on the Friday afternoon arranged specifically for the shadowing scheme - might be better off doing that.

This is a little post facto, but the union lets shadows and the person they're following into the debate (even if they aren't union members) and they sit on the balcony. There isn't actually that much CUSU stuff, and besides, organising things yourself is more fun!
Reply 91
Original post by Mr Dactyl

Original post by Mr Dactyl
This is a little post facto, but the union lets shadows and the person they're following into the debate (even if they aren't union members) and they sit on the balcony. There isn't actually that much CUSU stuff, and besides, organising things yourself is more fun!

They won't let you in next week - I asked. It's the big debate (loads of MPs coming) and unless your shadow pays £20 for a ticket it's not gonna happen.
Reply 92
Shadow-ee (Y) *like* :biggrin:
Quick question - what does one wear to formal hall? :P I'm going to formal hall at Girton College tomorrow and as I've started packing I've realisied I don't know what I'm supposed to wear? Obviously I won't turn up in jeans or trousers - but still, what should I wear, like a casual dress, a formal dress, just a skirt and top...help? I don't think my student will check her emails until tomorrow :rolleyes:

Any ideas?
Original post by Niki_girl
Quick question - what does one wear to formal hall? :P I'm going to formal hall at Girton College tomorrow and as I've started packing I've realisied I don't know what I'm supposed to wear? Obviously I won't turn up in jeans or trousers - but still, what should I wear, like a casual dress, a formal dress, just a skirt and top...help? I don't think my student will check her emails until tomorrow :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

I organised a formal hall for shadows at Clare College, and there wasn't a specific dress code - several shadows just came in jeans and a shirt! That was fine.

Things may be different at Girton, but since you're shadows I highly doubt that anyone will focus on what you're wearing.
I organised a formal hall for shadows at Clare College, and there wasn't a specific dress code - several shadows just came in jeans and a shirt! That was fine.

Things may be different at Girton, but since you're shadows I highly doubt that anyone will focus on what you're wearing.

I hope so, as long as they let me in! What if I'm the only shadow though :s-smilie: then people will be like....."why isn't she dressed up?" do the porters get funny about it?....What would students normally wear, I want to blend in :tongue:
Reply 96
Hi
im thinking of applying for the 2012 shadowing scheme
but i dont think i can do one of dates , will i be able to tell them this and they still give be a place and if they do give me a place but its the dates i cant do will i be able to refuse it ??
Will we stay in the same college as our 'mentor'?? What kind of activites will we do in the evenings? Any more general infomation/expeirences would be nice,
Im interested in engineering but understand i need a second choce, not sure wot to.put,

thanks
john
Reply 97
Original post by astrojg
Hi
im thinking of applying for the 2012 shadowing scheme
but i dont think i can do one of dates , will i be able to tell them this and they still give be a place and if they do give me a place but its the dates i cant do will i be able to refuse it ??
Will we stay in the same college as our 'mentor'?? What kind of activites will we do in the evenings? Any more general infomation/expeirences would be nice,
Im interested in engineering but understand i need a second choce, not sure wot to.put,

thanks
john

Hi, you can select which dates you're available for on the form when you apply.

You will stay in a guest room provided by a college. The numbers of rooms and volunteers from each college doesn't match up (naturally), but it is most likely you will stay in a room provided by the college of which your mentor is a member.

Evenings vary, there will probably be a debate at the Union and a pub quiz, or your mentor could take you to the cinema or theatre or anything really.

I went on the shadowing scheme and had a good time, it's pretty fun and gives you a much better idea of what it's like to be a student than anything else can. I guess natural second choice options for Engineering would be maths, computer science or natural science (physical). It doesn't matter that much if your mentor isn't in your subject area, they or a friend of theirs can take you to relevant lectures.
Reply 98
aaaah I've applied for the 2012 shadowing scheme, really hope I manage to get in, I've applied for Veterinary Science as my first choice, so if I do manage to get a place on the scheme then I'll be really lucky! what's the earliest you'd find out if you're a 'shadow-ee'? :wink:
Reply 99
Original post by Niki_girl
I hope so, as long as they let me in! What if I'm the only shadow though :s-smilie: then people will be like....."why isn't she dressed up?" do the porters get funny about it?....What would students normally wear, I want to blend in :tongue:

Nah, they won't :smile: but if you fancy dressing up just for the fun of it, any kind of nice-looking dress is fine. Something you might wear for a nice meal out with your friends, maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending