The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2840
Original post by mlsdbk
I've heard amazing things about sheffield from so many people! and its soo nice and a good uni at the same time.. im not applying but if you have an offer i would choose it as insurance.. what's your subject? :smile:

Ah awesome. From people who go there? I've never seen it and I don't know anyone who has. I am going in February but I'm just so keen to firm Durham now!

I've applied for Geography. Both unis have excellent courses for Geography and, even though Manchester is further down the league tables than Sheffield, when I saw Manchester I thought the department was excellent so I'm trying to block league tables out of my decision making :s-smilie:.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Hnk2401
Just a quick question, does anyone know if, when you're replying to offers, if you can choose your firm and insurance separately? Or if you have to reply to your firm and insurance at the same time?

Because I know I'm *definitely* firming Durham but I'm not so sure about an insurance...

Otherwise, if anyone could give me any reasons to choose either Manchester or Sheffield for my insurance, go for it! (and would be much appreciated).

You have to do them at the same time, unfortunately.
Original post by Nia M
Okay, I changed my application to a different department last week, but on AES it's still showing up as 'Combined Honours in Arts'. Should I phone up AES and ask them to change? (The course code on Track only changed on Friday)

I'd probably say ring admissions, they'll be able to solve / put you in contact with whoever the relevant person is.
What have you changed it to now then?
Reply 2843
Original post by riotgrrl
You have to do them at the same time, unfortunately.

Bleh. Ok thanks!
Original post by Hnk2401

Original post by Hnk2401
Ah awesome. From people who go there? I've never seen it and I don't know anyone who has. I am going in February but I'm just so keen to firm Durham now!

I've applied for Geography. Both unis have excellent courses for Geography and, even though Manchester is further down the league tables than Sheffield, when I saw Manchester I thought the department was excellent so I'm trying to block league tables out of my decision making :s-smilie:.

It depends what their offers are and how well they fit with what you think you might get. I know someone who got into Manchester with quite low grades for Geography so I don't know if that's any indication of how good it is.

Also, I'd check the National Student Survey for student satisfaction ratings. A lot of people want to go to Manchester because of the social aspects but I heard that students on some courses are not particularly happy.
Reply 2845
Original post by KayteeKaytee
It depends what their offers are and how well they fit with what you think you might get. I know someone who got into Manchester with quite low grades for Geography so I don't know if that's any indication of how good it is.

Also, I'd check the National Student Survey for student satisfaction ratings. A lot of people want to go to Manchester because of the social aspects but I heard that students on some courses are not particularly happy.

Coool thanks for the advice.
Reply 2846
Original post by Hnk2401

Yes from people who have been there and from those who have visited.. it's both good and really fun! I would recommend it :smile: bit its your choice off course.. anyway.. Durham's amazing :smile:
This is bloody hilarious:

http://mostly-harmless.org.uk/downloads/

It's a Durham student magazine and I so want to join when I go :biggrin:
Original post by Noodlzzz
This is bloody hilarious:

http://mostly-harmless.org.uk/downloads/

It's a Durham student magazine and I so want to join when I go :biggrin:

haha it's brilliant :biggrin:
Got an offer yesterday for archaeology and anthropology at University College :biggrin:
Reply 2850
Original post by Sappho
Finally AES says: 'Your application has been received by a College.'

Hurra! :woo:

Now fingers crossed for the last bit!

Fantastic!!!
Reply 2851
Original post by emmalong
yeah me but ive not heard anything yet, what about you?

still in department :frown:

It changed the other day to a decision made but nothing changed on UCAS then it changed back.

I was so scared I got a rejection. I check AES more frequently now the deadline's gone.
Reply 2852
Original post by skypig97
Fantastic!!!

Thank you :biggrin:
Which college did you get your offer from again?
Original post by Sappho
Finally AES says: 'Your application has been received by a College.'

Hurra! :woo:

Now fingers crossed for the last bit!

Congrats!!!!! I hope you get castle!
Reply 2854
Original post by adam0311
Congrats!!!!! I hope you get castle!

Thank you :smile:
Unfortunately I heard Castle was oversubscribed for Classics:frown: Well, maybe someone declined their offers?:tongue:
Congrats on yours too! When did you hear?
Reply 2855
Original post by riever86
St John's appeared under my "Useful links" (in the AES) today, so looks like I got into my first choice, according to the other posts on this thread! Excellent...

Awesome! Another future Johnian. And another mature student to boot! Congratulations!
Original post by Sappho
Thank you :smile:
Unfortunately I heard Castle was oversubscribed for Classics:frown: Well, maybe someone declined their offers?:tongue:
Congrats on yours too! When did you hear?

You mean they've already filled up for classics? Or that they're just oversubscribed in general?

Thanks. I got my offer at the beginning of November, and then was confirmed by castle at the end of November.
Reply 2857
Original post by adam0311
You mean they've already filled up for classics? Or that they're just oversubscribed in general?

Thanks. I got my offer at the beginning of November, and then was confirmed by castle at the end of November.

Yes, I mean filled up for Classics. Oh I really hope UCAS will make it official soon! I'm getting so excited about it all:smile:
Excellent - my letter from Castle came through today :smile:

I'd really like to go on the open day, but I've got a dress rehearsal that day and my best friend (who's in the same production) is going as well :cool:
I really don't want to see the director's face when we tell her (or even be in the same country, to be quite honest)!
Reply 2859
:redface: i just got an offer!!!!
i genuinely thought i'd get rejected :')

Latest

Trending

Trending