The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ussumane
I applied to Newcastle :h:

Have you done the EPQ? if so you might get 2 conditions; ABB or BBB with EPQ B. That offer really put my mind at rest as i thought i might get BBB haha.
Reply 341
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
Have you done the EPQ? if so you might get 2 conditions; ABB or BBB with EPQ B. That offer really put my mind at rest as i thought i might get BBB haha.

Ah, I didn't do that, and I regret now :colondollar: What other unis you applied for?
Original post by ussumane
Ah, I didn't do that, and I regret now :colondollar: What other unis you applied for?

Well im at Sheffield now, but last year i applied for:
Sheffield - ABB
Manchester - AAB
Leeds - ABB
Newcastle - ABB or BBB with EPQ B
UCLan - like 180 UCAS points.
Well im at Sheffield now, but last year i applied for:
Sheffield - ABB
Manchester - AAB
Leeds - ABB
Newcastle - ABB or BBB with EPQ B
UCLan - like 180 UCAS points.

Sorry if you've answered this question already in the thread, but what made you choose Sheffield over your other choices?
Original post by GuineaPrig
Sorry if you've answered this question already in the thread, but what made you choose Sheffield over your other choices?

Well Manchester wanted AAB which i thought i'd be pushing to achieve and preferred Sheffield because they seemed more experienced with Japanese. With Leeds the year abroad is in the 2nd year, I preferred the idea of going in the 3rd since I will be better at Japanese. I selected Newcastle as my insurance because it was my only offer lower than Sheffield because I already had the B in EPQ (excluding UClan, which was a backup). Hope that helps.
Well Manchester wanted AAB which i thought i'd be pushing to achieve and preferred Sheffield because they seemed more experienced with Japanese. With Leeds the year abroad is in the 2nd year, I preferred the idea of going in the 3rd since I will be better at Japanese. I selected Newcastle as my insurance because it was my only offer lower than Sheffield because I already had the B in EPQ (excluding UClan, which was a backup). Hope that helps.

Agreed about the 2nd year abroad thing. I got rejected from Leeds anyway, though! Honestly I don't know how to choose between Manchester and Sheffield, I've spent a lot of time today weighing up the pros and cons of each, Manchester offering slightly more funding and having relatives in the area but I like Sheffield as a city more in general. The courses and departments seem equally terrific but I've heard a lot more about Sheffield due to the length of time it's been running. I guess I'll have to find the money to get the train up and attend the Open Days to get a better feel of the universities themselves!

Preeeetty sure SOAS will reject me anyway, so I really need to make my mind up. Actually now that I think about it, it's about 50/50 that I can meet Manchester's entry requirements anyway...

Anyway, thanks for your reply. :smile:
Original post by frogout
Manchester has high entry requirements?! My offer was BBB! But then I guess that was like 2 years ago..

They make offers from BBB to AAB i think, I got AAB but a friend of mine who also applied last year got an offer of BBB. Not sure what they base that on, perhaps experience with languages.
Original post by frogout
Manchester has high entry requirements?! My offer was BBB! But then I guess that was like 2 years ago..

Yeah AAB now. :redface:
Reply 348
ha, so for my application, it turns out that it had been sitting completed in the office since december and no one had bothered to send it off. I would be quite anooyed, but I'm feeling more relieved that I can finally get access to Track. Guess offers will take quite a while though..........
Original post by GuineaPrig

Oh God, I wish SOAS would get back to me. I got all my responses fairly early so this is quite painful. Would be very interested to hear when people start receiving their decisions from them!

lol I'm still waiting for my SOAS response too, I'm glad I'm not the only one! :P

I hope we hear soon!
(edited 13 years ago)
Both of them are known to be late with replies unfortunately.

Im quite surprised at how theres not many people who applied to Newcastle. :confused:

Ive applied to newcastle, although i havent heard back yet :frown:
Reply 351
Original post by kimikachan
Ive applied to newcastle, although i havent heard back yet :frown:

It was over a month before I heard back from Newcastle, I got my offers through email rather than straight off track...

good luck :smile:
Yeah I got an email from Newcastle first, strangely my email classed it as spam which was funny. However I didn't get an offer or email until March so don't worry about the delay. Saying that, the time i got my offer all the offer holders open days were over and they offered to give me a tour on my own which was strange. Maybe they left me until last then thought, go on then. haha
Reply 353
I will be going to University of Sheffield to do Japanese Studies and Business Management (:
Reply 354
Original post by ozair
I will be going to University of Sheffield to do Japanese Studies and Business Management (:

You're the first other person I've seen who's applied for business and Japanese. Where else have you applied ?
Original post by IBzombie
It was over a month before I heard back from Newcastle, I got my offers through email rather than straight off track...

good luck :smile:

i've just got an offer from newcastle so yey :biggrin:
Reply 356
Original post by kimikachan
i've just got an offer from newcastle so yey :biggrin:

Congrats :smile:
Reply 357
Original post by Ruadhan
You're the first other person I've seen who's applied for business and Japanese. Where else have you applied ?

Oh are you doing the same?!
I only had 5 options which was annoying but kind of handy because I immediately knew what my options would be lol

I applied to Sheffield, Cardiff, Oxford brookes, Birmingham (International Business with a Language), and SOAS (Japanese and Management)

I got accepted by Sheffield, Cardiff & Oxford Brookes and rejected by the other 2.

If I did get an offer from all 5 I still would have picked Sheffield as my Firm so I am happy (:
Reply 358
Original post by Ruadhan

Original post by ozair
Oh are you doing the same?!
I only had 5 options which was annoying but kind of handy because I immediately knew what my options would be lol

I applied to Sheffield, Cardiff, Oxford brookes, Birmingham (International Business with a Language), and SOAS (Japanese and Management)

I got accepted by Sheffield, Cardiff & Oxford Brookes and rejected by the other 2.

If I did get an offer from all 5 I still would have picked Sheffield as my Firm so I am happy (:

Hey, I'm a first year Business Studies and Japanese student at Sheffield (we are a rare breed I'm afraid!) so if you have any particular questions about the course, I'll be happy to help :smile:
Can i ask, are any of the people here who are planning to go to Sheffield for japanese, like intimidated by the intensity of this course, I heard loads of people drop out and anyone done japanese before at school, coz i do it for A-levels? just wondering anyone else like me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest