The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
HI :biggrin: has anyone who's applied for Politics and Parliamentary studies heard anything? applied 23rd November...and still anxiously waiting :P

Thanks
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 461
Ive got a conditional offer for Biology- ABB,havent heard anything about open days or anything yet
Reply 462
Hey everyone, I received an offer a while ago to read BA Chinese and Japanese at Leeds on the condition that I get grade A in spanish (I already have other A2 grades) :smile:
Is there anyone else here that is applying or already has an offer for Japanese and/or Chinese?
Reply 463
Original post by e.lau16
HI :biggrin: has anyone who's applied for Politics and Parliamentary studies heard anything? applied 23rd November...and still anxiously waiting :P

I've applied for this course too (: so far I've only received an email back in mid-November acknowledging my application though. Hoping they'll consider me for politics even if I don't get into the politics and parliamentary studies course though.
I have all my offers now, and Im pretty sure Im firming Leeds :biggrin:

Anyone else firming?

x
Original post by jeffercake

Anyone else firming?

x

Congratulations on your offers :biggrin: I think I'll be firming Leeds, but I want to see how my retake goes before I do!
This is a bit of a random question, but if anyone has any idea at all what the answer would be it would be very helpful! Basically, I've applied to courses at Leeds, both English/Classics and English. However in my spare time a year or so ago I started learning Italian in my spare time and have now got a reasonable grasp in the basics or so of the language. I looked to apply to English and Italian B at Leeds (where Italian is taught ab inito ie from the beginning) but they ask for a formal language qualification. Now i don't have a GCSE language; because i had no particular desire to learn German so took History instead, or AS etc, so I don't have this so I wasn't able to apply to it as one of my lower options.

Does anyone think ( i hold on offer for the classics course) you would be able to swap to that course (when you got there) despite lacking the linguistic qualification if, like i do, you have a background in the language? I'm not hugely bothered if you can't (electives!) and obviously i didn't particularly want to email Leeds as it's not the most enthusiastic thing i could possibly do, but if anyone could help that would be brilliant :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 467
Original post by georgia246
This is a bit of a random question, but if anyone has any idea at all what the answer would be it would be very helpful! Basically, I've applied to courses at Leeds, both English/Classics and English. However in my spare time a year or so ago I started learning Italian in my spare time and have now got a reasonable grasp in the basics or so of the language. I looked to apply to English and Italian B at Leeds (where Italian is taught ab inito ie from the beginning) but they ask for a formal language qualification. Now i don't have a GCSE language; because i had no particular desire to learn German so took History instead, or AS etc, so I don't have this so I wasn't able to apply to it as one of my lower options.

Does anyone think ( i hold on offer for the classics course) you would be able to swap to that course (when you got there) despite lacking the linguistic qualification if, like i do, you have a background in the language? I'm not hugely bothered if you can't (electives!) and obviously i didn't particularly want to email Leeds as it's not the most enthusiastic thing i could possibly do, but if anyone could help that would be brilliant :smile:

Thank you!

I don't know about changing courses, but if you need an official language qualification there is the equivalent of the IELTS test for the Italian language: http://www.iiclondra.esteri.it/IIC_Londra/Menu/Imparare_Italiano/Certificazioni/
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
Congratulations on your offers :biggrin: I think I'll be firming Leeds, but I want to see how my retake goes before I do!

When will you know?

My offers for Leeds and Sheffield are the same, so I'll definitely be firming Leeds!

I still need to get two more distinctions on my Access Course, but yeh.. Im pretty excited now! :biggrin:

Anyone else firming?

x

Me :biggrin: Got an offer with same grade requirements from Manchester... I'll firm Leeds and insurance Manchester (or insurance Sheffield if they ever make me an offer :p:)

:five:
Original post by Bella Occhi
Me :biggrin: Got an offer with same grade requirements from Manchester... I'll firm Leeds and insurance Manchester (or insurance Sheffield if they ever make me an offer :p:)

Is Manchester the same grade conditions as Leeds? Won't that be a bit pointless firming Leeds and insuring Manchester? If you miss one, you miss both! :P

Anyway, yay! Another Leeds student!
Sheffield have made me the same offer as Leeds, so i can't insure them (damn!). So I need to make sure i get two more distinctions in history (Im a mature student, studying an Access Course).

Best knuckle down!

:biggrin:

Is Manchester the same grade conditions as Leeds? Won't that be a bit pointless firming Leeds and insuring Manchester? If you miss one, you miss both! :P

Anyway, yay! Another Leeds student!
Sheffield have made me the same offer as Leeds, so i can't insure them (damn!). So I need to make sure i get two more distinctions in history (Im a mature student, studying an Access Course).

Best knuckle down!

:biggrin:

Well I just figured if I happened to miss the offer they might be more likely to give me a place anyway if I'd put them as insurance...... I don't know :p:
Reply 472
I'm firming Leeds for English Lit and Spanish - so exciting!!
Aloha!

Obviously, I want to go to the open day for LLB Law at Leeds (post-offer). I was just wondering, has anyone got a list of the open days for 2011 yet please? Apparently all of the days are different e.g. Law is different from Spanish, but I've googled it all over and have found nothing. I've found people asking the same thing but from last year, and there was no answer! I've got nothing in the post, and obviously need to plan when I need time off school.
If anyone knows, please let me know!

Thank you lovely people! :biggrin:

xx
Original post by lizolove
Aloha!

Obviously, I want to go to the open day for LLB Law at Leeds (post-offer). I was just wondering, has anyone got a list of the open days for 2011 yet please? Apparently all of the days are different e.g. Law is different from Spanish, but I've googled it all over and have found nothing. I've found people asking the same thing but from last year, and there was no answer! I've got nothing in the post, and obviously need to plan when I need time off school.
If anyone knows, please let me know!

Thank you lovely people! :biggrin:

xx

I got the details a couple of weeks after my offer. I guess you just have to wait! When did you get your offer?
When will you know?

My offers for Leeds and Sheffield are the same, so I'll definitely be firming Leeds!

I still need to get two more distinctions on my Access Course, but yeh.. Im pretty excited now! :biggrin:

I think it's 9th/10th March! :afraid: Already planning for the retake in June though! :redface: Good luck with those distinctions, hope to see you at Leeds! :cool:
Reply 476
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
I think it's 9th/10th March! :afraid: Already planning for the retake in June though! :redface: Good luck with those distinctions, hope to see you at Leeds! :cool:

I was wondering about this. Do you know if, god forbid I don't manage to pick up four marks and get my B in History for the Leeds English course, they would be alright with you sitting again in the summer?

I thought about this, and surely it would go against the conditions of the offer they've given? But then again, my conditional offer only asks for 'A-Level History: B'
Original post by roverston
I was wondering about this. Do you know if, god forbid I don't manage to pick up four marks and get my B in History for the Leeds English course, they would be alright with you sitting again in the summer?

I thought about this, and surely it would go against the conditions of the offer they've given? But then again, my conditional offer only asks for 'A-Level History: B'

Apparently you can take an exam 3 times, so as long as you get the grades by 31st August, you should be fine :smile:
Original post by YaziB
Got an offer at the beginning of December;

ABB (A in French) for French and Arabic. Think this is going to be my firm!

Leeds are counting a BTEC in my offer so if I get BB, I have a place for Arabic + Middle Eastern Studies :smile: nice to meet a fellow Arabic student!
Original post by roverston

I'll probally need to do more retakes in June to meet my Leeds offer, and you have to notify UCAS and any unis that you have a conditional offer with if you intend to do more exams than stated on your UCAS form.

Latest