The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chlojomojo
Offer from Wadham college for Medicine :biggrin:

YIPEEEEE !

loving the above praise for wadham college :smile: Although I have only spent two days I feel confident in saying it is the best college EVER !

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Wadham! Offer for English. Can't wait!
Original post by shoshin
The opposite happened this year too. Someone on TSR got rejected for Oxford pre-interview, was then contacted a few days before the interviews took place to say that the rejection was a mistake - and subsequently got an offer.

I have a friend [who reads this forum sometimes - hello!] who had no offers, and got rejected by Nottingham (got to be depressing). A month or so later, he got an email saying the rejection was a mistake. He still hasn't heard what their decision is, so he may end up being rejected by the same place twice
Original post by mintaero25
OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration,... what actually happened was:

She got a letter saying she'd been invited to an interview for Law...

... and then an email the next day saying her application had been unsuccessful.

So she called up her college like"OK, which one is right?" and they were like "Ah, sorry the letter was an admin mistake, you have NOT got an interview." :eek:

Ouch, that can't have been fun...
Original post by mintaero25
But remember that girl that got her interview taken away... :eek:

ps... :hi: and also...:hump:

that was deep. :p:confused::eek::colone::angry::rolleyes::cool::s-smilie::mad::wink::biggrin::biggrin::frown:
Original post by purplelover
You're going to need A*A*A for some Oxford courses nest year too.

Well I have a friend who just got a 3A* Camb offer for NatSci :eek:
She was predicted 4A*s though, but still, if I got that offer I'd reject it them on principle for being so cheeky.

Original post by gasmask

...but I've only got 86% UMS. Will they withdraw my offer now?:afraid:

Run for your life!!! :woo:

Original post by Lookatmycoolname
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Wadham! Offer for English. Can't wait!

Future Wadhamites of the world unite!! And can I just say, shotgun one of the library beanbags :colone:

Oh and your name is VERY cool :yes:
Original post by frequent_flyer

Original post by frequent_flyer
Well I have a friend who just got a 3A* Camb offer for NatSci :eek:
She was predicted 4A*s though, but still, if I got that offer I'd reject it them on principle for being so cheeky.

No you wouldn't.

And it's not as cheeky as offering above predictions. (Which I don't think happens a lot)
Original post by freezombie
No you wouldn't.

And it's not as cheeky as offering above predictions. (Which I don't think happens a lot)

If they want you to get better than you're predicted, wouldn't they just reject you?
I guess I do see it as fair that Oxford start bringing in A*s because in theory then, a lot of Cambridge offer-holders have to work harder to reach their offers than Oxford holders.

It does feel a bit weird to think that, with 3As and safe A AS marks - I would not have got an interview at Cambridge either year yet I have an offer here - I do feel like I'm pretty lucky in terms of the period I applied in!
Original post by SuperPatchKid
I guess I do see it as fair that Oxford start bringing in A*s because in theory then, a lot of Cambridge offer-holders have to work harder to reach their offers than Oxford holders.

It does feel a bit weird to think that, with 3As and safe A AS marks - I would not have got an interview at Cambridge either year yet I have an offer here - I do feel like I'm pretty lucky in terms of the period I applied in!

We're definitely the lucky year- in before A* is required AND the fees go up!
Original post by riotgrrl
We're definitely the lucky year- in before A* is required AND the fees go up!

:dancing: Of course! And to think I spent most of secondary school being disgruntled at being the tester year. :ahee:
Original post by SuperPatchKid
:dancing: Of course! And to think I spent most of secondary school being disgruntled at being the tester year. :ahee:

To be fair, I am sort of sick of never having any past papers cos "it's a new syllabus!"
Reply 651
Hey, i have an offer from trinity for medicine.

And yeah, 1992 was a good year to be born in.
Reply 652
Original post by shoshin
Top marks for honesty, you could have brazened that out as it was an inadvertently witty observation :smile:

Hah, I'm not gonna lie - I did consider it. Unfortunately, my New Year's Resolution is to be more up front...
Im not being funny- but the IB offers im seeing on here are so high!!

Mine for Law was 36 with 776, and my firends got like 37 with 777 for PPE at HL- but they are now asking people for 39?? wtf?
Which school is it that offers you law at 36 776?
Original post by tealandtaup
Which school is it that offers you law at 36 776?

Merton Oxford
Original post by J_Stev
Yeah! Maths at Exeter. :smile:
Nah, I Didn't stay, but I had one interview there :biggrin:
Did you apply there?

So excited, just want to fast forward the next sorta 6 months!

Which college did you stay in?? Yeah i stayed there!!

I know!! I cannot wait either!!
Reply 657
WHAT?! An offer of 36 with 776 is a godsend! Those are the two lowest offers I've ever heard of. They're out of Oxford's standard offer range, which is 38-40. I don't see how 39 is a high offer - it's pretty reasonable.
Original post by CocoPop
WHAT?! An offer of 36 with 776 is a godsend! Those are the two lowest offers I've ever heard of. They're out of Oxford's standard offer range, which is 38-40. I don't see how 39 is a high offer - it's pretty reasonable.

It is not! haha stupid people can easily scrape AAA (24% of people get AAA), 39 is seriously hard to get (the top 4%)!

Perhaps im biased because I got 39 and il be damned if its being compared to AAA. I did an A Level as well and it was no where near as difficult as the IB.

But i think it varies doesn't it because Ive also heard of people getting offers of 24
but with 777 and 3 core points so that's hard in a way.
(edited 13 years ago)
Why are New College offer-holders virtually non-existant? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest