The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1700
Original post by Complex Simplicity
I don't think so. There's still some very good teams in it besides barca. I remember in 2003, when Real Madrid seemed unstoppable, outplayed Man Utd, only to get beaten by a spirited Juventus side.

How Real failed to win it that year I'll never know. Good point. But I'm going to have the audacity to say that we will at least reach Wembley as a bare mimimum if we get past Barca. All the "top teams" are woeful this season. Chelsea is becoming a burden to watch, Man Utd are getting all the results they want despite playing out of their depth, Real Madrid is a circus defensively, if you watch them play you'll notice how they run around with their 1000's of attacking players like headless chicken trying to figure out where the next through ball might pierce through them. I fancy our chances against these. But then again, it only takes one bad performance.
Reply 1701
Original post by ZizAli
I was just about to reply to your previous post until I saw this.

The only joke here is your life.
Original post by ZizAli
Right now, Walcott has contributed to the team thus far. In the league he has bagged 6 goals and 4 assists. This is an average contribution, not bad, but not great. The trouble is that it is inconsistent. He will score a hat trick against Blackpool and do absolutely nothing for the next 10 games. Much like for England, he scored a hat trick against Croatia and has never scored since. His contribution is more than his quality, and in the long run quality prevails and he will fail. This is why I hate the fact that we now all of a sudden have confidence in him. Wenger appears to have no back up for the wing now because Walcott has "arrived". We have set ourselves up for extreme disappointment. Proof of my argument is Arshavin. We all know he is capable of fantastic performances but right now he is not putting the work in, but yet he has still bagged 4 goals and 9 assists. Better than Walcott, but yet in all of this Walcott is the hero and Arshavin is the villian. Quality always prevails. So yes, I do agree. Walcott must perform for the remaining 16 games but him being our first choice winger for years to come is a very worrying thing for Arsenal football club.

Edit: Any by NO means do I judge a player on the amount of goals they score. But Walcott offers nothing more to the team.

League:
Walcott: 664 minutes, 6 goals, 4 assists, Defensive: 7/10
Arshavin: 1407 minutes, 4 goals, 9 assists, Defensive: 1/10
Nasri: 1482 minutes, 9 goals, 1 assist, Defensive: 8/10

Walcott forecast for 1407 minutes: 12.71 goals, 8.47 assists ==== brilliant contribution

So not better than Walcott and purely on those stats Walcott>Nasri>Arshavin.

Stop posting ****, yeh but 3 were against Blackpool blah blah, couldnt give a ****, Blackpool are a worthy 10th. So Walcott isn't consistently great, if he's winning us every other game it doesn't matter.
Reply 1703
Original post by Complex Simplicity
I was neither ridiculing you nor blasting you. You made an absurd comment, I called you up on it and now you're ranting away about how you're 'praised at the end of the season'? Seriously, GROW UP! How old are you that you throw silly tantrums like a child rather than debating the issue like an adult?

Please do us all a favour and go away!

Now now. No need to be angry.
Work rate and determination with some ability will always outshine a moody player with excellent ability in terms of productivity.

See (Bergkamp, D) vs (Balotelli, M).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1705
Original post by marcusmerehay
Work rate with some ability will always outshine a moody player with excellent ability in terms of productivity.

See (Bergkamp, D) vs (Balotelli, M).

Suggesting bergkamp had any less than excellent ability is frankly heinous
Original post by tplob
Suggesting bergkamp had any less than excellent ability is frankly heinous

I wouldn't say so.

In terms of raw ability, Bergkamp was always outclassed by Henry - it doesn't mean he was incapable of moments of magic himself, as we all very well know.

If I was being pedantic then I could replace him with Wrighty.
Balotelli has 8 goals in 11 appearances. Poor example but your initial point is sound.
I wouldn't say so.

In terms of raw ability, Bergkamp was always outclassed by Henry - it doesn't mean he was incapable of moments of magic himself, as we all very well know.

Bergkamp was probably the most technically gifted player we've ever seen in the Premier League :lolwut:

Bergkamp and Henry :coma: What a partnership that was!
Original post by Jeppasloth
Balotelli has 8 goals in 11 appearances. Poor example but your initial point is sound.

Yeah, I noticed that after I wrote it though I was basing it more on his time at Inter. :yy:
Original post by Ar5enal Fan
Bergkamp was probably the most technically gifted player we've ever seen in the Premier League :lolwut:

Bergkamp and Henry :coma: What a partnership that was!

I don't want to be controversial here, but the most technically gifted player we've had in the Premier League is either Robert Pires or Aliaksandr Hleb.

Technical ability doesn't make you a great player without application (Hleb wasn't good defensively and almost never shot or scored, whereas Pires was a true club legend).
I don't want to be controversial here, but the most technically gifted player we've had in the Premier League is either Robert Pires or Aliaksandr Hleb.

Technical ability doesn't make you a great player without application (Hleb wasn't good defensively and almost never shot or scored, whereas Pires was a true club legend).

I understand what you're saying but I'd disagree with it. Bergkamp had so much ability, technically and mentally. His vision was unreal, control was perfect, he could shoot, pass, he had everything that a player of that type needs. Balotelli is still young and it looks like he has ability but I wouldn't put him anywhere near Bergkamp at the moment. Maybe a better example would've been someone like Kuyt because he isn't overly blessed with footballing ability yet he works hard every single game and as a result has been very successful.
Reply 1712
I agree with Arsenal fan, Bergkamp had a lot of technical ability, to suggest othewise is a bit........
I'm not suggesting he didn't, he was an incredibly gifted player.

Maybe when I was a bit younger I was a bit more oblivious to his overall play, but I always found him stuck in Henry's shadow.
:toofunny:

This place in a nutshell. The overall point is valid -- any idiot knows that talent, in itself, is useless if you're not willing to put the effort in. Rather than nitpicking at a poor example, why not just accept the obvious point? Jesus wept.

But while we're at it, Marcus, you're the first gooner I've known who is suggesting that Bergkamp isn't the most technically gifted player we've seen at the club. Henry was arguably more effective, productive and -- depending on preferences -- better to watch, but Bergkamp's fairly untouchable in terms of technique.
Reply 1715
I wouldn't say so.

No way, bergkamp was better than henry in every way except pace (which is so important it made henry the better player).
Let's move on to more pressing matters, like the team for tomorrow. Personally I think Clichy, Nasri, RVP and Wilshere will be benched and the team will look a lot like this:

Szczesny

Sagna Djourou Koscielny Gibbs

Song

Ramsey Fabregas

Walcott Chamakh Arshavin/Rosicky

I hope Chamakh starts, but I've got a feeling Wenger will keep faith in Bendtner (unfortunately). Fabianski is still out so Shezza continues, while Sagna returns from suspension. :woo:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1717
Let's move on to more pressing matters, like the team for tomorrow. Personally I think Clichy, Nasri, RVP and Wilshere will be benched and the team will look a lot like this:

Szczesny

Sagna Djourou Koscielny Gibbs

Song

Ramsey Fabregas

Walcott Chamakh Arshavin/Rosicky

I hope Chamakh starts, but I've got a feeling Wenger will keep faith in Bendtner (unfortunately). Fabianski is still out so Shezza continues, while Sagna returns from suspension. :woo:

Reckon Arshavins a certainty for this game, if Rosicky's fit he'd probably play him to rest theo. Would like to see Ramsey but don't think he'll start, probably be denilson instead. Agreed on chamakh, he'll probably go Bendtner though..
I'm not sure he'll start Ramsey, probably play Denilson :facepalm2: I'd prefer to see Cesc benched and have Nasri start, Cesc really doesn't look fully fit plus Nasri had a little rest last week as well. We really need to progress though, especially since the draw for the next round was so favourable.
I'm done with you fools. Absolute fools.

Premier League prediction: 76 points
Champions League prediction: LOL

I leave you in the hands of Slawaccess, Marcus, Overmars, Economist, Complex Simplicity (14 goals in 33 games) and the rest of the dimwits that attempt to comfort one another. Blind leading the blind.

Latest