The Student Room Group

When a uni gives you an offer...

When you meet the uni's offer, can they change their mind and not accept you. Or is it against the laws of UCAS. Just something I was wondering.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

It's Christmas.
If you meet the conditions of an offer, they have to accept you.
Reply 3
Original post by electriic_ink
It's Christmas.

Merry xmas to you! :biggrin:
Original post by Bektas
If you meet the conditions of an offer, they have to accept you.

:yep:

Unless they find that you lied on your application or something. But generally yeah, if you meet the offer and it's your firm choice, they have to accept you.
Original post by Medifield
Merry xmas to you! :biggrin:

You too x
Reply 6
Tanks very much :cool:
When you meet the uni's offer, can they change their mind and not accept you. Or is it against the laws of UCAS. Just something I was wondering.

Thanks

Not unless you lied on your application - if you retain the offer and meet it, they have to accept you.
Reply 8

Thanks

Is there such a thing?:confused:

Anyway, they can't. As long as you get the grades they asked for, you've got nothing to worry about.
Reply 9
fanks anyway. I'm sure this won't happen to anyone anyway!
I used to be under the impression that they could turn you down, but I mentioned it on a thread somewhere on here, and someone told me that it was a contract or something and they did have to accept you.
Original post by alexmsf
Is there such a thing?:confused:

Anyway, they can't. As long as you get the grades they asked for, you've got nothing to worry about.

I think the laws of UCAS are somewhere in between the natural laws of the universe and the laws of the land. :tongue:

Yeah, I keep getting scared about that but they can't take an offer away from you if you meet the conditions. :biggrin:
Original post by lizlaz350
I used to be under the impression that they could turn you down, but I mentioned it on a thread somewhere on here, and someone told me that it was a contract or something and they did have to accept you.

Some unis, realising they have too many students and will be fined, try to persuade some to not come. Most approach this by asking students if they want to take a gap year; I imagine that that will probably come with assurances of not paying the higher fees during this cycle, but we'll see.

However, some less scrupulous unis decide to tell people that there isn't a place for them, and hope the student is naive enough to believe that; it mostly happens with people who had it as their insurance choice, but some do do it with their firm students as well. I have my theories on the type of students they choose to try it on with, but I have no evidence for it beyond my own experiences.

But, that is against the contract, so the informed student will tell them that they know unis can't reject them once they have met their offer and if the uni doesn't drop the issue, the appropriate authorities will be contacted. :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by TheSownRose
Some unis, realising they have too many students and will be fined, try to persuade some to not come. Most approach this by asking students if they want to take a gap year; I imagine that that will probably come with assurances of not paying the higher fees during this cycle, but we'll see.

However, some less scrupulous unis decide to tell people that there isn't a place for them, and hope the student is naive enough to believe that; it mostly happens with people who had it as their insurance choice, but some do do it with their firm students as well. I have my theories on the type of students they choose to try it on with, but I have no evidence for it beyond my own experiences.

But, that is against the contract, so the informed student will tell them that they know unis can't reject them once they have met their offer and if the uni doesn't drop the issue, the appropriate authorities will be contacted. :wink:

Unis have actually done that?? That's awful! :eek:

I've never heard of this - whodunnit??
Original post by Potiron
Unis have actually done that?? That's awful! :eek:

I've never heard of this - whodunnit??

Yes, they have and yes, it is awful. I reckon they select students they think won't know about the rules because Theodore Eton will know they have to accept him ... but like I say that is just my experience, no real evidence for it.

There have been a few examples on this site, but the most recent one I've heard of is SOAS.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29166764&highlight=soas
Reply 15
Yes, they have and yes, it is awful. I reckon they select students they think won't know about the rules because Theodore Eton will know they have to accept him ... but like I say that is just my experience, no real evidence for it.

There have been a few examples on this site, but the most recent one I've heard of is SOAS.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29166764&highlight=soas

That is just shockingly awfully terribly bad, and has made me very sad.

Keep putting the word out, please.
Original post by Potiron
That is just shockingly awfully terribly bad, and has made me very sad.

Keep putting the word out, please.

Did you intend that first line to be quite so poetic?

And we will, don't worry - that's what TSR is for, right, to be the bane of admissions tutors? :p: I asked Minerva to include a notice about it in the results day advice that'll be up closer to the time and in the meantime I'll keep on telling people seeking advice about it, and people that I tell will hopefully tell others...

All we can do, really: spread the word and hope no one gets caught. :frown:
Reply 17
Did you intend that first line to be quite so poetic?

And we will, don't worry - that's what TSR is for, right, to be the bane of admissions tutors? :p: I asked Minerva to include a notice about it in the results day advice that'll be up closer to the time and in the meantime I'll keep on telling people seeking advice about it, and people that I tell will hopefully tell others...

All we can do, really: spread the word and hope no one gets caught. :frown:

There will inevitably be people who haven't yet discovered the wonders of TSR though :frown:

I didn't really mean it. Maybe when I'm sad/tipsy I'm just naturally an amazing poet.
Original post by Potiron
There will inevitably be people who haven't yet discovered the wonders of TSR though :frown:

I didn't really mean it. Maybe when I'm sad/tipsy I'm just naturally an amazing poet.

It will be on UCAS somewhere ... but who really reads all of the UCAS advice? Just have to hope the unenlightened have friends on TSR. :frown:
If you firmed the university you like, are they still able to change it or not? Like for example, I firmed this university on my ucas, will they still be able to change it?

Quick Reply

Latest