The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KCosmo
I know someone has probably already posted this but how many people do st andrews interview and how many places are there?

i think they interview around about 500, and there is 55 places for progressing to scotland, 85 for manchester.
Original post by atomos
i think they interview around about 500, and there is 55 places for progressing to scotland, 85 for manchester.

Plus around 350 offers going out, which is the number that counts really, not the number of places.
Reply 482
Original post by atomos

Original post by Carter BSc
Plus around 350 offers going out, which is the number that counts really, not the number of places.

Thanks guys! :smile: That sounds very good then if you make it to the interview stage, 350 out of the 500 get offers :biggrin: 70% chance then I guess :smile: Has anyone received a conditional yet, as opposed to an unconditional? I'd be interested to know what kind of conditions they set? Or even if anyone got a conditional from a previous year?
Reply 483
Hey guys, just a lil spoiler here. In case any of u are panicking and think its too late for an interview. We got an email, asking us if any of us could tour students after their interviews

Interview dates are as follows:
24 and 25 th January
2 Feb
9 Feb
16 Feb
23 Feb
2 Mar
9 Mar
18 Mar
will you need to bring proof of work exp etc with you?
it never said in the email but just checking incase
Original post by atomos
will you need to bring proof of work exp etc with you?
it never said in the email but just checking incase

nope. i never got asked for proof of work experience :smile:
Original post by spacepirate-James
nope. i never got asked for proof of work experience :smile:

ok cheers!
Reply 487

I can help you with the basic structure etc...

When the time starts you get taken to a small room with the other people in your group to read the given article. You get about 10 minutes or so (which is ample time).

Then you get taken into the interview rooms where they ask you questions for about 15-20 minutes. The time flies btw. The questions are pretty much what the website says: The St Andrews course, Previous experience (so pretty general average questions), and Ability to communicate tested on with the article. The article questions themselves are more of a problem-solving nature, and that's the area where you are allowed to shine (or fail dramatically :colondollar:) because it allows the biggest scope in terms of you gearing the topics to suit your own interests.

Afterwards you get a choice to ask questions and then a tour of the new medical shiny school :teeth: (which is awesome). Though, if like me you'd be too busy crying/shaking to really pay attention.

http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/interview.aspx

HI thanks for that, should be useful
Reply 488
Original post by exursist
Hey guys, just a lil spoiler here. In case any of u are panicking and think its too late for an interview. We got an email, asking us if any of us could tour students after their interviews

Interview dates are as follows:
24 and 25 th January
2 Feb
9 Feb
16 Feb
23 Feb
2 Mar
9 Mar
18 Mar

Thanks! Not to panic anyone but some people in my school got the email a couple of days ago for an interview for the 2nd of march. So I'm guessing there's two more batches of interviews to be given?

Edit: Just looked back at some of the posts where people have been told about interviews for the 9th of march, so I'm guessing 1 more batch to be given out?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by KCosmo
Thanks! Not to panic anyone but some people in my school got the email a couple of days ago for an interview for the 2nd of march. So I'm guessing there's two more batches of interviews to be given?

Edit: Just looked back at some of the posts where people have been told about interviews for the 9th of march, so I'm guessing 1 more batch to be given out?

depends what you mean by batches? as in...for everyone interviewed on a specific day they'll give them all out at once?
cos i got told on monday i had one for 23/02/11, the same day people were told of 9/03/11
Reply 490
Original post by KCosmo

They seem to be giving out dates in a random manner, perhaps to gear the article we get given to each group (ie. graduates and school-leavers) perhaps? Although I think theres still a chance of getting an interview up until the 4th March as they normally give at least 2 weeks notice.
Reply 491
Original post by Eddie91
They seem to be giving out dates in a random manner, perhaps to gear the article we get given to each group (ie. graduates and school-leavers) perhaps? Although I think theres still a chance of getting an interview up until the 4th March as they normally give at least 2 weeks notice.

yeh, i think your right :smile: just being overly paranoid :P
Reply 492
Has anyone ,who was interviewed in November, received an offer ?

getting a bit worried here .. however I guess , like they say, the majority of offers are going to be given out in March :tongue:
Original post by SRK.
Has anyone ,who was interviewed in November, received an offer ?

getting a bit worried here .. however I guess , like they say, the majority of offers are going to be given out in March :tongue:

on the medical stalking thread i remember seeing a couple of offers, but that'll probably just be the reeeally outstanding people who were definately going to get an offer. you'll probably hear once theyve interviewed everyone else i guess?
Reply 494
Original post by atomos
on the medical stalking thread i remember seeing a couple of offers, but that'll probably just be the reeeally outstanding people who were definately going to get an offer. you'll probably hear once theyve interviewed everyone else i guess?

Lets hope we all hear some good news then ! 70 % chance of an offer which is very good when comparing to other unis ( 500 applicant for 350 offers) .
Reply 495
^ ^ ... that ratio applies once applicants have received an invitation for interview of course !
Reply 496
70% chance, really!? I don't wanna get my hopes up but sounds too good to be true!
Original post by baztech
70% chance, really!? I don't wanna get my hopes up but sounds too good to be true!

I know I'm soo happy, Birmingham had the same ratio and I got in. Let's hope the same happens again. At what time is your interview by the way?
Reply 498
Original post by areyousure?
I know I'm soo happy, Birmingham had the same ratio and I got in. Let's hope the same happens again. At what time is your interview by the way?

Hey areyousure? (why that name? Chris Tarrant, is it you..) my interview is at 4.05pm! Apparantly we get a wee tour after the interview. Whens yours?
Reply 499
hey.... I don't wanna sound suspicious or something, but how do you guys know for sure they give out 350 offers? Is there any official information or did anyone find this out from a reliable source? Sorry but it really seems too good to be true !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending