The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Renal
As the old joke goes.

BL is famous for it's lack of anatomy knowledge, that might even have been true as recently as three or four years. But, you have pretty good teaching now and most BL students, those that will graduate in 2012 onwards, have a good anatomy knowledge.

Ahh yes of course. :wink: Apparently consultants on firms are saying our anatomy knowledge has increased based on previous years. But yeah, to be expected really - we have loads of anatomy teaching in first year!

Original post by iq101
What does proper mean when it is said ' Connective tissue proper' ?

I swear, sometimes I think this crap is made up. :p: Never heard of that. :s
In other news, decided I will apply for my iBSc this year - really really interested in Medical Education - that's the one I'm going for.

Second choice might be either Experimental Pathology or Infection and Immunity. Not sure yet.

Now to get cracking on the 'personal statement'. :work:
Finished revising for tomorrow's exam. My technique for this one has been to get bang on top of 2/3 of it, and then try and get a solid enough foundation in the final third. We shall see if that pays off.
Original post by Medicine Man
In other news, decided I will apply for my iBSc this year - really really interested in Medical Education - that's the one I'm going for.

Second choice might be either Experimental Pathology or Infection and Immunity. Not sure yet.

Now to get cracking on the 'personal statement'. :work:

I swear the iBSc PS is harder to write than the initial medicine one :rolleyes: Are you including non-academic stuff like extracurricular activities, or is it purely subject based?? (I'm applying for Biomedical Engineering at Barts).
Reply 424
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I swear the iBSc PS is harder to write than the initial medicine one :rolleyes: Are you including non-academic stuff like extracurricular activities, or is it purely subject based?? (I'm applying for Biomedical Engineering at Barts).
Have You thought about ucl orthopaedic sciences, its at stanmore and apparently quite good, although they work them hard.
Reply 425
Original post by Wangers
Have You thought about ucl orthopaedic sciences, its at stanmore and apparently quite good, although they work them hard.

UCL aren't taking externals.
Original post by Wangers

:bawling: That was the dream... but as Kinkerz said, they stopped taking externals this year.
SSC library project should definitely start today. Have to decide what to write about "Imaging the Brain". Anyone know any interesting CNS conditions where imaging for diagnosis or understanding could really be improved?
Reply 428
Original post by Mushi_master
SSC library project should definitely start today. Have to decide what to write about "Imaging the Brain". Anyone know any interesting CNS conditions where imaging for diagnosis or understanding could really be improved?

Not mainstream - but CJD, imaging is still pretty vague for that - althought part of it comes down to the few numbers of cases actually available.
Original post by Wangers
Not mainstream - but CJD, imaging is still pretty vague for that - althought part of it comes down to the few numbers of cases actually available.

Ah good thinking. Was going to look at Diffusion Tensor Imaging (cool pictures of white matter tracts), and how this could affect clinical practice.
craaaazy misfolding proteins
Reply 431
Original post by Mushi_master

Lots of interesting stuff going on with fMRI for various psychiatric disorders e.g. schizophrenia.
Original post by Helenia
Lots of interesting stuff going on with fMRI for various psychiatric disorders e.g. schizophrenia.

I'm INSANELY interested in fMRI haha. Not particularly into neurology generally, but fMRI rocks my world

I've written like the first line. :/

I think it's got to be academic. And tbh, my ECs are all pretty irrelevant so I don't think I'll waste space on that. I should probably ask someone who's applied though. I will do tomorrow and get back to you.

Oh, FFCrusader's applying for Bio Engineering too!

And OMG, second year neuro - two words: UNNECESSARILY COMPLICATED. I actually wanted to go into neurology before this module. Now it's all gastroenterology baby.
I've written like the first line. :/

I think it's got to be academic. And tbh, my ECs are all pretty irrelevant so I don't think I'll waste space on that. I should probably ask someone who's applied though. I will do tomorrow and get back to you.

Oh, FFCrusader's applying for Bio Engineering too!

Ta! That info would be awesome... There are loads of other people in my year applying for external iBSc's, but none for Barts AFAIK! Do many of your yeargroup have like research/audit/presentation stuff to their name?

FFCrusader

Do you know how many people are applying for biomedical engineering and how many places there are? Obv you lot get first shot so if there's tons of you I don't even think my application gets looked at :frown:
Ta! That info would be awesome... There are loads of other people in my year applying for external iBSc's, but none for Barts AFAIK! Do many of your yeargroup have like research/audit/presentation stuff to their name?

Do you know how many people are applying for biomedical engineering and how many places there are? Obv you lot get first shot so if there's tons of you I don't even think my application gets looked at :frown:

I don't think most people would have done that sorta stuff yet. Maybe the super keen ones, but tbh we've only just started second term of second year - I don't suspect many would have.

The way it works for internals is that we're ranked based on exam results up to the year before the year you're in (weighted twice as much as the interview score) and then a combined score is generated.
I don't think most people would have done that sorta stuff yet. Maybe the super keen ones, but tbh we've only just started second term of second year - I don't suspect many would have.

The way it works for internals is that we're ranked based on exam results up to the year before the year you're in (weighted twice as much as the interview score) and then a combined score is generated.

I currently don't know my ranking, cos it's not something we get told til 4th year, so this is gonna be fun...

What about the third years? I think I saw on the website that 3rd and 4th years can apply to? Or are there significantly less of them?

I wasn't allowed to apply after second year cos of a ridiculous scottish thing that counts your 4th year as your honours year, so if I'd intercalated before now they would only consider it an unclassified degree regardless of my result!
I currently don't know my ranking, cos it's not something we get told til 4th year, so this is gonna be fun...

What about the third years? I think I saw on the website that 3rd and 4th years can apply to? Or are there significantly less of them?

I wasn't allowed to apply after second year cos of a ridiculous scottish thing that counts your 4th year as your honours year, so if I'd intercalated before now they would only consider it an unclassified degree regardless of my result!

We normally shouldn't get our proper ranking as the iBSc ranking usually excludes grads on the 5 year course who can't intercalate. However, they failed this year and included grads by mistake (mainly for second years) which means the ranking we received was a not the official ones they'd use for the iBSc applications. They say they're working on giving us our actual iBSc rankings asap.

You can intercalate after 2nd, 3rd or 4th year. Usually the majority of places (and applicants) are from 3rd years and 4th years (mainly 3rd years though). There were usually only like 10 or 20 places for 2nd years. However as my year is a bulge year, they've pretty much more than doubled the spaces for 2nd years to 55 in the hope that it would act as an incentive for more second years to apply and thus reduce the number of 3rd years next year on wards which they can't accommodate for. This was at the expense of internal 4th year places which have been more than halved. But this is only for this year just to sort out numbers in my year. It shouldn't really affect external applications I don't think, but I reckon dropping them an email might be worthwhile. Whether or not their plan will work is a different case - they did say that they will give out offers based on how many applications they receive from each year internally so assuming not many second years applied, the slots will go back to the 4th years.

And screw that Scottish rule! It sounds annoying. :/
Original post by Philosoraptor
I'm INSANELY interested in fMRI haha. Not particularly into neurology generally, but fMRI rocks my world

fMRI is massively overrated. Despite all the pretty pictures you see in journals, all it tells you is that some neuron is releasing neurotransmitters. It doesn't tell you where from or whether the neurotranmission is excitatory or inhibitory. Also, it's incredibly difficult to control for - I don't think any meaningful studies have managed to do it.
Reply 439
Started doing some revision for finals today :gah: (If finally sorting out PasTest and OnExamination and doing some practice questions counts :p:)

Latest

Trending

Trending