The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dani_88
Anna, are we allowed to work in places like scbu / nicu even though we're adult nurses?

And who the hell negged you for saying so quiet lol?!

I know SOME places do take on adult trained nurses as its a seperate course you d whilst working in that area. I did query it myself but on the person specification it discussed they take RGN's so we'll see!

Had the most BORING day today, if anyone has me on facebook you'll just see photos of cartoon characters we drew in lectures...I have a 'mr buzzkillington the wasp' who has a monocle and top hat. It was that boring..
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Subcutaneous

I know SOME places do take on adult trained nurses as its a seperate course you d whilst working in that area. I did query it myself but on the person specification it discussed they take RGN's so we'll see!

Had the most BORING day today, if anyone has me on facebook you'll just see photos of cartoon characters we drew in lectures...I have a 'mr buzzkillington the wasp' who has a monocle and top hat. It was that boring..

That's pretty lame to be honest... having a problem with someone over the internet and then negging a post with no good reason. LAMEEE.

And yeh i did see, had a little chuckle. Dare i ask what you were learning that was so boring??

We got our info for our exams today. Doesn't sound too bad actually. Scenario based which is good. Told to expect one acute condition and one chronic one and they give us a list of potential conditions to read up on and get to grips with which is nice of them :p:

Oh, do you know what we got told today... "student nurses shouldn't be doing ECGs"... wtf? That'll be oh so helpful when i qualify :rolleyes:
We had an arrest at the weekend and got the guy back and i was asked to do an ecg as a hca..ergo, nurses have to know how to do this stuff.. No wonder we're getting a generation of nurses that don't have a pissing clue when there's F all we're allowed to do as students! Grr
/rant.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by dani_88
That's pretty lame to be honest... having a problem with someone over the internet and then negging a post with no good reason. LAMEEE.

And yeh i did see, had a little chuckle. Dare i ask what you were learning that was so boring??

We got our info for our exams today. Doesn't sound too bad actually. Scenario based which is good. Told to expect one acute condition and one chronic one and they give us a list of potential conditions to read up on and get to grips with which is nice of them :p:

Oh, do you know what we got told today... "student nurses shouldn't be doing ECGs"... wtf? That'll be oh so helpful when i qualify :rolleyes:
We had an arrest at the weekend and got the guy back and i was asked to do an ecg as a hca..ergo, nurses have to know how to do this stuff.. No wonder we're getting a generation of nurses that don't have a pissing clue when there's F all we're allowed to do as students! Grr
/rant.

It was so pointless...we basically did personality tests to see our learning styles and had to reflect on learning development. Basically sent me to sleep within 10 minutes, then coffee made me hyper lol

It is very lame, and its just constant comments and bullying. I think its a form of jealousy maybe as she used to do nursing and left..i dunno, but im just taking everything she says thats upsetting and sending it to the mods as it's just unacceptable to treat anyone like that really, especially for a 24yr old is quite sad.

oh no who told you that? A nurse? Its so silly. What'll end up happening is that they'll then teach students more and more and it'll come round in full circle!
On my 3rd and FINAL week of night shifts woop.

I'm getting close to finishing my first year now and i'm really considering changing branches I just don't feel like adult nursing is for me at all!?
Did any of you feel like this near the end of first year? I know I definitely want to be a nurse but I just don't think that the areas an adult nurse works in appeals to me really!? :s-smilie:
Original post by Holamigo

I'm getting close to finishing my first year now and i'm really considering changing branches I just don't feel like adult nursing is for me at all!?
Did any of you feel like this near the end of first year? I know I definitely want to be a nurse but I just don't think that the areas an adult nurse works in appeals to me really!? :s-smilie:

Have you thought about why adult nursing isnt for you?

Ive often thought nursing in general isnt for me, but im not sure where i want to go with it so its just finding something i really enjoy.
Have you thought about being dual qualified? Do your adult training and than say your child training on top (if thats the branch you wanted to switch to).
Original post by Becky_90
Have you thought about why adult nursing isnt for you?

Ive often thought nursing in general isnt for me, but im not sure where i want to go with it so its just finding something i really enjoy.
Have you thought about being dual qualified? Do your adult training and than say your child training on top (if thats the branch you wanted to switch to).

I can't quite place my finger on it but I hate how nurses don't have enough time for the little things like just talking to the patients and how they feel stuff. This it most what I like about nursing - actually talking to the patients not so keep on the clinical side to be honest...

I'm thinking about mental health as I loved my learning disability placement(lots of them had mental health issues aswel)
But the thing is I haven't had enough experience in mental health so finiding it really hard to make a decision!?!:s-smilie:
Reply 1666
Wowwww I haven't been on TSR in foreverrr! Can I join the convo though pleaseee I like a good bit of nursey conversation mixed in with the odd rant here and there!

Holamigo - think long and hard about switching because once you start branch you're not going to be able to switch back very easily if you decide you made the wrong decision! I think a lot of people have that kind of an ideal of nursing in that they'd like to be able to talk with the patients more but nurses do so much more medically than they used to that I guess you just can't really have it both ways unfortunately!

and Subcutaneous : I did a placement on scbu/nicu and there are a lot of RGNs who are doing or have done their neonatal training, midwives, child nurses and adult can all go into NICU but if you're adult then they usually like you to have some experience (not sure whether they want post qualification or whether student placements would count) in something relative so like labour ward, postnatal etc but I totally encourage people to do Neonates i loveeeeeeeeeee it, it's definitely what I want to do when I qualify!!

I can't believe people apply for jobs so early though that is wayyyy too scary haha!

Hmm I kind of just injected myself into the conversation there didn't I....never mind, do feel free to just tell me to mind my own haha!

:smile:
Hey amy, welcome back to tsr :p:

How's the course going for you? :smile:
I can't quite place my finger on it but I hate how nurses don't have enough time for the little things like just talking to the patients and how they feel stuff. This it most what I like about nursing - actually talking to the patients not so keep on the clinical side to be honest...

I'm thinking about mental health as I loved my learning disability placement(lots of them had mental health issues aswel)
But the thing is I haven't had enough experience in mental health so finiding it really hard to make a decision!?!:s-smilie:

I wanted to swap to mental health at the end of first year... but to be honest i think i'd idealised it in my head... A lot of my mental health friends are struggling now they're in "branch". I'm personally now really glad i stuck adult nursing out and i love it. I think it's pretty normal to have concerns about whether to change branch or stick... I know a LOT of people ummed and arred between adult and learning dis and adult and child in my cohort, however only 2 people swapped in the end. You're on placement at the minute aren't you? Most wards have mental health link nurses... i spent a shift with the mental health nurse at my hospital and really enjoyed it. Perhaps do that then you can pick their brains :smile:
Reply 1669
Original post by dani_88
Hey amy, welcome back to tsr :p:

How's the course going for you? :smile:

Ah thank you :smile:

And it's great thank you! I mean typically feeling harassed about exams and assignments and such, but being on placement and doing my thing is all goooooood haha :smile:

Hope everyone else is enjoying!

I understand where you're coming from, sometimes its nice to do the little things for patients, especially when they can be so appreciative of it.

I think Dani has a good point, how about trying to spend some time with the mental health liason kind of people? That way its more of an insight without actually taking the plunge of switching branch until you've made a decision.
I got a job interview...for the oxford neuro ITU/surgical rotation job. eek!
Well done.
Reply 1673
I got a job interview...for the oxford neuro ITU/surgical rotation job. eek!

congrats! The thought of applying for jobs in a years time scares the life out of me!!
Ahhh Anna exciting! When is it? :biggrin:
Its february. I was in two minds whether to go as its far to travel, plus I feel really under prepared portfolio & interview wise for this job and i'd much rather go later. However they know i'm a student..so I'm gonna go for the experience, plus a chance to go shopping for an interview outfit lol.

So we'll see..if im honest too if i get it i'd accept but i'd look for other jobs closer to home really :frown:
Ooo and holmigo as for the changing branch. Definately do some thinking! First year can be really frustrating and in adult branch it does start getting interesting towards the 2nd and 3rd year, i'm sure we can all vouch for that! Speak to your tutor especially. However its completely normal to be in two minds about it all as once you move up a year you can't switch.
I have a nursey dilemma...

But i don't really want to brand it across here because it's a bit awkward.. can i PM someone for some advice??
Original post by dani_88

But i don't really want to brand it across here because it's a bit awkward.. can i PM someone for some advice??

Yah or send me a message on FB. Just treated myself to two more nursing books!
Original post by dani_88

Feel free to pm if you like :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending