The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5660
Original post by DCmole
To be honest, maths is just a tool for physicists so all of your degrees are useless.

The only tool I see is one DCmole.

You sir, are one of the most abject weapons known to society.
Original post by Jake22
The only tool I see is one DCmole.

You sir, are one of the most abject weapons known to society.

lol......a bit random :tongue:
Reply 5662
Original post by boromir9111
lol......a bit random :tongue:

Stupidity begets stupidity.
Successfully caused professor Du Sautoy to become uncomfortable; he's actually a fairly small guy and my smile slowly escalated into laughter (over the distance of roughly 20 metres) due to my amazement of how different television portrays someone. He seemed to think I was just looking at him before beginning to laugh in his face which he definitely did not like.
I remember watching his program about history of mathematics like 2 summers ago now......was pretty interesting.....
Reply 5665
Original post by Simplicity
v-zero and Boromir9111 you do know that the scenes never happen in real life? John Nash didn't give a speech getting nobel prize nor did he come up with Nash equilibrium in a bar.

To be fair, I rank the film worse than Good will hunting. Several things are wrong with it. No mention of John Nash being horrible, racist or antisemtic. No mention of him being homosexual or being bullied at uni. He didn't see visual hallucinations nor did the bath scene happen.

Nothing was true about the film. I mean literally nothing. :angry:

I suppose the go scenes are sort of correct.

No ****.
Original post by boromir9111
I remember watching his program about history of mathematics like 2 summers ago now......was pretty interesting.....

You're kidding me right? Complete pile of ****. "Oh look, the Egyptians used to count on their fingers, and so did the Persians, la de da"
Original post by Hedgeman49
You're kidding me right? Complete pile of ****. "Oh look, the Egyptians used to count on their fingers, and so did the Persians, la de da"

Oh, that was pretty boring :tongue: but then it went to talk about math proofs like Riemann hypothesis, Fermat's last theorem.......was pretty interesting in that respect although it was kinda brief lol....
I think the guy is boring as anything, and does very little to engage those who don't know much about mathematics.
Original post by DeanK22
Admitting you do maths on a date? Usually ask what they're studying then say history else English.

I might start doing this in general.
Whenever I say I study Maths, people smile at me like I'm joking, then I wait and they slowly but awkwardly realise I'm not taking the piss. Then they overcompensate by going "oh wowowowow I was so bad at school" before finally settling on saying their honest first reaction; a back-handed compliment ("you don't look like you do Maths").
Reply 5670
Original post by assmaster
Whenever I say I study Maths, people smile at me like I'm joking, then I wait and they slowly but awkwardly realise I'm not taking the piss. Then they overcompensate by going "oh wowowowow I was so bad at school" before finally settling on saying their honest first reaction; a back-handed compliment ("you don't look like you do Maths").

I don't think anybody's ever told me I don't look like I do maths:frown:
I'm going to assume they mean you're obviously a girl though.
Original post by Slumpy
I don't think anybody's ever told me I don't look like I do maths:frown:

Should get out the room more often buddy then people will lose that assumptiom :tongue:
Original post by assmaster

That's a nice idea. Every new person I see thinks I study media (srsly) so literally laugh when I say maths. You should start wearing tee's with Baye's theorem on the front (these definitely exist, with the maths society at Oxford happily producing a large set.).

People just can't relate to maths though; if they are mathematically inclined, it's usually just not a big deal, but there is (and always will b, probably) an awkwardness about studying mathematics for the majority of the population that isn't found in other subjects.
Since I look Indian I look like I do Maths. So never get that in general. I suppose it's worse if you are oriental and bad at Maths.

Slumpy

I'm surprised girls can do Maths. http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Health/story?id=424260&page=1

DeanK22
Successfully caused professor Du Sautoy to become uncomfortable; he's actually a fairly small guy and my smile slowly escalated into laughter (over the distance of roughly 20 metres) due to my amazement of how different television portrays someone. He seemed to think I was just looking at him before beginning to laugh in his face which he definitely did not like.

That is so cool, also very rude. Du Sautoy is small, I never noticed it. Might have to re watch a history of maths again to see if this is true.

Hedgeman49

Maths has to start somewhere. The last two was interesting.

DCmole
To be honest, maths is just a tool for physicists so all of your degrees are useless.

:angry:
Reply 5674
Girl at bop: "What are you studying?"
Me: "Maths."
Girl: "I'm so sorry."

Then she walked off.

"I was never any good at that" has to be the most common reaction.

I've also been asked how you can have maths lectures.
Reply 5675
I get a lot of 'you must be really clever' comments, which I'm never sure how to respond to.

also, yeah, i've never been confused for an english student (would that i were)
I love it when people ask me what subject i'm doing when i'm at a debating competition or something, no-one excepts a physicist/mathematician there :p:
When I tell people I do maths I either get:
"Oooooh, you must be clever then!" (generally middle-aged women)
"I was rubbish at maths when I was at school..." (same demographic)
"Oh good, I like maths. Are you onto quadratics yet?" (men)
"Huh? You're not weedy enough to be a mathematician." (assorted)

On the subject of Du Sautoy, he's a total hack. He makes out like he's God's gift to maths when actually his research output is pretty modest compared to others. He just happens to be one of the more televisable mathematicians.
Just had the most bull**** exam ever.

The first question was wrong, had a mistake that totally wasted fiften minutes of my life thinking it's wrong. So that's like 5 marks down the drain.

Then, on complex bit there was another mistake that probably going to cost me the marks in that question.

Which, I'm not that fussed. But, I would thought that the examineer would do the questions before hand and not make obvious mistakes. Also, they put some nasty numbers in it.
Exams finally finished... So happy!

Quick Reply

Latest