The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ahmed.23
Ah.. thanks for the advice.. hehe:smile:

Im not sure yet.. the other thing is that Durham is really far from all the other places... like my sister and few friends are in London and i won't be able to visit because the train charges are extremely high..
Oh well.. I will just have to wait and... Warwick has not replied yet.. So no point wasting time now deciding..haha

Yep its true that academics is only a part of the university experience!

Have u received any offers yet?? Ur doing IB right??

If you book in advance you can get to London for £8-£10 (travel late at night, book a month in advance). It's 2.5 - 3hours to Kings Cross :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2881
Original post by riever86
Hey thanks - you too! I take it you're an American? I lived in the US for 7 years, returned here almost three years back.

Was it the fact that I started my post with "Awesome!" that gave me away? :redface: I'll have to work on that. :biggrin: Where did you live in the US? I'm really excited to be coming to the UK. I've only been there once.
Original post by h123f
YEAH!:biggrin: Were any of these people at St. Chad's? I really really hope it isn't over-subscribed for music :confused:

Hmm, I don't know. I've don't think I've seen a lot of St. Chad's people wandering around, but then again, I don't even think I've seen any other music people!:confused:
Reply 2883
Original post by webber8345
hahaha well you might've wanted to be close to them - to have home cooked meals or something? I know people that are like "I have family in Bristol.. ok, I think I'll apply to Bristol" whereas family really doesn't factor in at all for me - I know I won't see them lol.

Yea I'm not too excited about St Andrews.. I'll consider it though if I get an offer.

Ah ok cool :smile: we have Geog in common, I find it quite amusing that you felt the need to justify it.
I do English Higher, Biology Higher, Geography Higher, Maths Standard (its the middle of three options) Italian B Standard and Art Standard.

lol.. I always have a really hard time trying to explain Anthropology. In its broadest sense its the study of humanity and this can basically be through culture/society and biology. One distinction I've read between Anthropology and the other types of human sciences is that anthropologists immerse themselves within a culture to gain a better understanding rather than pure observation -- though I don't really know to what extent thats true at an undergraduate level. Anyways, what I like is how it seems to overlap with so many of the things I'm interested in, Biology, Geography, Linguistics, the Arts (literature, history of art.. etc in terms of culture), Psychology, Sociology.. it lets me be a bit indecisive and greedy, which I love!

I'm sorry, I'm sure you told me before, what have you applied for again?

Im applying for Economics.. Did u send an open application or did u choose a college?
It can get annoying also if you are too close to family!
Here most ppl think that Geography is about map marking.. and those kind of pointless things even though its actually not.

Ah.. that sounds really interesting..especially how its a combination of other subjects, so you have a range of things to pick and choose from.
Reply 2884
St. Aidan's popped up under 'Useful Links' on my AES yesterday so guess I got reallocated from Castle. :frown:
Does anyone know if the accommodation's nice (especially about chances of getting a single room!) and what the food's like? (Obviously the most important thing :wink: )
omg finally!!! just checked my AES and I've gotten my college. lol took about a month after my offer came through.
I chose and got Hatfield :smile: so so happy! I would've been fine anywhere but I'm just glad I know.
Reply 2886
Original post by webber8345
omg finally!!! just checked my AES and I've gotten my college. lol took about a month after my offer came through.
I chose and got Hatfield :smile: so so happy! I would've been fine anywhere but I'm just glad I know.

Congrats, you sound really happy:biggrin:
Original post by Sappho
Promise you will cry "Sappho!" when a girl bumps into you on your first day at Durham!:biggrin:

Are you referring to a certain someone?
Nothing from Durham. :frown:

or from anyone else either.
Reply 2889
Original post by Sempiternitas
Are you referring to a certain someone?

I didn't mean to, but nice thought:tongue:
5 days and 5 months?
Original post by sanksta

Original post by sanksta
St. Aidan's popped up under 'Useful Links' on my AES yesterday so guess I got reallocated from Castle. :frown:
Does anyone know if the accommodation's nice (especially about chances of getting a single room!) and what the food's like? (Obviously the most important thing :wink: )

Same thing happened to me. I'm still getting used to it. I heard the food is the best on campus and the rooms have been refurbished so they're nice. There does seem to be a lot of room sharing though, which is worrying me. I'm going to the open day though. I will probably love it when I've seen it.
Original post by Sappho
I didn't mean to, but nice thought:tongue:
5 days and 5 months?

:yep:

Hope you'll hear from Castle soon, and hope it'll be good news!
Reply 2892
Original post by Sempiternitas
:yep:

Hope you'll hear from Castle soon, and hope it'll be good news!

Wasn't it you who told me they were oversubscribed for Classics?
Reply 2893
Original post by KayteeKaytee
Same thing happened to me. I'm still getting used to it. I heard the food is the best on campus and the rooms have been refurbished so they're nice. There does seem to be a lot of room sharing though, which is worrying me. I'm going to the open day though. I will probably love it when I've seen it.

At least that's good about the food then! :smile:
Yeah, I'm sure I'll love it when I see it - I was just really hoping to get a bailey college. :frown:
But I'm not too keen on the idea of room sharing so that might be a problem...
Reply 2894
AH. just logged into my AES and it says M101 you application has been received by a college. A decision has not yet been made.
what does this mean?! is it still a good sign even if it says they haven't made a decision yet?

also apologies in that this question has probably been asked a million times, i'm
just way too excited/nervous :s-smilie:
Original post by Amy124

Original post by Amy124
AH. just logged into my AES and it says M101 you application has been received by a college. A decision has not yet been made.
what does this mean?! is it still a good sign even if it says they haven't made a decision yet?

also apologies in that this question has probably been asked a million times, i'm

No guarantees but generally a good sign. Means your department want to offer you a place. They are still deciding on your college. Good luck!
Original post by Amy124

I think it means you've been accepted:smile: Of course there is the disclaimer at the bottom, that it may be an administrative error but at this stage in the process I don't think that really matters.

Also, nice to see another NI person applying to Durham:biggrin: (even if you are from Methody:tongue:) What college did you apply to?
Reply 2897
Original post by KayteeKaytee
No guarantees but generally a good sign. Means your department want to offer you a place. They are still deciding on your college. Good luck!

Original post by TheColonel
I think it means you've been accepted:smile: Of course there is the disclaimer at the bottom, that it may be an administrative error but at this stage in the process I don't think that really matters.

Also, nice to see another NI person applying to Durham:biggrin: (even if you are from Methody:tongue:) What college did you apply to?

Haha, thanks :] yeah they seem to be a rare breed on this forum. Ah the methody-bashing :P what school are you at? St Johns, and yourself?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by BlueJoker
Got an offer yesterday for archaeology and anthropology at University College :biggrin:

Hey, congrats :biggrin: I'm straight anth at Castle!
Original post by Amy124

Same here :biggrin:

Latest