The Student Room Group

Ever had a shocking moment to do with an offer?

Scroll to see replies

I have had a few shocking moments with offers, the last few times I've logged in and there are none
Original post by Sifr
I believe that was one of the lines I used, what I wrote was highly embarassing and personal!
I was off my head literally, I was on anti-depressants at the time and it used to make me feel so :s-smilie:
Of course I mentioned this all to the examiner in my "dear diary" entry LOL.

Thankfully my health has since improved greatly, and i'm planning to write real answers this time round :biggrin:

Ah, antidepressants. Yup, they mess you up. :frown:
Glad you're feeling a bit better! :tongue:
well , i'm applying for history and sociology (not many options for that one) and one of my choices was UWE which i immediately regretted. It asked for 300 ucas points but i already had a C at AS cus i hated the subject but in my others i got AAB, now predicted AAA. Well in december they told me my course had been cancelled and i was actually really happy because i got to apply to leeds instead . woop woop.

But i guess all this is irrelevant because i recieved a conditional from Warwick (holy crap!!) but yeah i guess it's kinda weird that i was happy about a course being cancelled.

Just waiting for exeter now who i want to be my insurance (wish they would bloody hurry up though!!) :biggrin:
I'm re-taking second year of A-Level, and despite being told numerous times by teachers, TSR's and friends that I'll be disadvantaged (uni's will put the grades up just for me since I'm retaking), I've managed to get 3 offers on the lower end of typical offers from Aston (x2) and Leicester for Mechanical Engineering.

Oh, and I managed to get all 3 of these offers in the space of an hour or so today.. I don't know what to say really :biggrin:
I got an offer from Cambridge with only 2 A*s and 2As at GCSE with no mitigating circumstances.
That was pretty shocking :smile:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I got an offer from Cambridge with only 2 A*s and 2As at GCSE with no mitigating circumstances.
That was pretty shocking :smile:

Have you already done your A levels when you got your offer ?
Not really shocking but I wasnt expecting to hear back from Warwick until waaay after the deadline and I heard back in November :biggrin: was still chuffed though :smile:
Original post by Parring The Par
Have you already done your A levels when you got your offer ?

Nope, I'm doing A2s now :smile:
has anyone got an unconditional offer?
Original post by crowdejm01
has anyone got an unconditional offer?

Not sure why this is in the 'shocking moment' thread..
But yes, I have an unconditional offer for biomedical sciences at Sheffield university :yep:
Reply 190
Results day came around and instead of getting the AAB I needed to do Economics at Newcastle I got ABB. I got rejected by my insurance (International Business at Leeds which was same grades) but had no reply from Newcastle (which was a bit awkward when I went out on results night and people asked me if I got in and I was like 'I don't actually know'). To be honest I just presumed a rejection would come through at some point and I felt pretty stupid for putting Leeds as my insurance because had I put Sheffield or Manchester I would have got in. ANYWAY I ended up ringing Newcastle the next day and I found out whilst they couldn't offer me a place on the 2010 course they could offer me an unconditional for 2011. That was a bit of a shock as I presumed I'd have to resit my exams and reapply. So yep unintentional gap year but an unconditional offer for the course I wanted and now I get first choice of accommodation, nice :h:
Reply 191
Original post by JosieMcfeene
My best mate got into Southampton for physics with ABC :s-smilie:

I know someone like that at my college. Offer was going to be ABB, but the physics teacher at the college liked her so they both went to Southampton uni for a load of meetings with the admissions staff, and they let her in with a C in maths.
i got an interveiw at marjons in plymouth, and i lived in lancashire.
my interview was in january (2010) but due to being snowed in i couldnt get down, so rearranged it for the february.
got all excited went down with my mum and step dad. then picked my gran up when we were there, as she lives down there, got to marjons and realised i was 3 hours late for my interview. after being shouted at by my mum, they still offered me an interview.
so i left my family to go up, had the interview and in the interview despite being 3 hours late i got offered conditional!

so went back down and told them, i think my mum wanted to slap me [=

moral of the story, if you change your interview date, throw away the orriginal bit of paper, so you dont get mixed up [=
Reply 193
i got CDDE at AS-levels. 1A* 8As and 1B at GCSE and got an ABB offer from LSE for management sciences.
Reply 194
Applied to the university of my dreams (Brunel), got rejected (I didn't have the A-Levels but was sure I had more than enough experience. Sadly they said 'Oh, if you were a mature student we'd accept you in a heartbeat!) SO annoyed. I cried for days.

So I was still determined, I ended up planning to apply again to Brunel through clearing in the hope that their offers had gone down and that I could 'talk' someone into it.

I was in a cafe in Spain (on holiday) at the time, constantly ringing them and asking if it had gone down a little more, when my Mum suggested I looked at some other places, I ended up finding Kent doing the exact same course. I applied online, and got a reply offering me a place in 20 minutes.

Kent is slightly higher in most league tables than the uni Brunel, (or at least its equally reputable), their non-clearing offer is exactly the same as Kent, now I'm getting firsts across the board. Brunel don't know what they're missing dammit.
My shocking offer moment was on the bus home on a Friday, two weeks ago. I was sitting on the bus home and there were roadworks so the bus was crawling. Because I was bored, I thought I'd check track on my iphone. I wasn't expecting anything to change because I'd convinced myself UEA would spend months on creative writing portfolios because I heard of people sending their portfolios in December and not hearing from them till March. I'd also convinced myself I was going to be rejected because I'd decided my portfolio was ****.
Track was loading really slowly... When it finally loaded I saw 'conditional' next to UEA and I started bouncing up and down on the bus like an idiot. My mum was with me and she was looking at me in a WTF is wrong with you kind of way and I couldn't speak and kept bouncing and making incoherent noises. I shoved my phone at her and then she went equally crazy and started hugging me because she knew how much I wanted to go there. I suppose the shock is that I actually got an offer from my first choice and that I was on the bus when I found out.... :biggrin:
I must've terrified some old ladies!
Original post by diamonddust
My shocking offer moment was on the bus home on a Friday, two weeks ago. I was sitting on the bus home and there were roadworks so the bus was crawling. Because I was bored, I thought I'd check track on my iphone. I wasn't expecting anything to change because I'd convinced myself UEA would spend months on creative writing portfolios because I heard of people sending their portfolios in December and not hearing from them till March. I'd also convinced myself I was going to be rejected because I'd decided my portfolio was ****.
Track was loading really slowly... When it finally loaded I saw 'conditional' next to UEA and I started bouncing up and down on the bus like an idiot. My mum was with me and she was looking at me in a WTF is wrong with you kind of way and I couldn't speak and kept bouncing and making incoherent noises. I shoved my phone at her and then she went equally crazy and started hugging me because she knew how much I wanted to go there. I suppose the shock is that I actually got an offer from my first choice and that I was on the bus when I found out.... :biggrin:
I must've terrified some old ladies!

That is a brilliant story! Congrats :biggrin:
Original post by Pheebs1201
That is a brilliant story! Congrats :biggrin:

Thank you! :biggrin: I'm STILL shocked! I officially give up on myself! :tongue:
I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Brizzle! I have no idea why I still call it Brizzle haha! :biggrin:
Original post by diamonddust
Thank you! :biggrin: I'm STILL shocked! I officially give up on myself! :tongue:
I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Brizzle! I have no idea why I still call it Brizzle haha! :biggrin:

I was tempted but I didnt want people to think I was gloating about getting a lower offer :redface: I am secretly THIRLLED though :colondollar:

Seriously well done, UEA for creative writing is TOUGH competition, you should be proud of yourself :biggrin:

P.S I call it brizzle too :cool:
Highlight of my application process has been applying for Bristol with it in mind as my top choice, but worried about getting the AAB grades they want.
Got an interview there, and at the end of the interview the guy said he liked me and would recommend I get an ABB offer.
Happy Days!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending