The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ohh a thread I've never been in before :p:

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Do you know how many people are applying for biomedical engineering and how many places there are? Obv you lot get first shot so if there's tons of you I don't even think my application gets looked at :frown:

Don't really know to be honest :s-smilie:

I don't really know what I have to do for the application :bawling: CVs and stuff :lolwut:
Original post by FFCrusader
Ohh a thread I've never been in before :p:

Don't really know to be honest :s-smilie:

I don't really know what I have to do for the application :bawling: CVs and stuff :lolwut:

Excellent... less competition :colone: (I'm kidding, it would be awesome if we both got in, so at least I would vaguely know someone!)
Excellent... less competition :colone: (I'm kidding, it would be awesome if we both got in, so at least I would vaguely know someone!)

:p:

To be honest, I wouldn't mind not getting in this year as I have the options of trying again next year and the year after :p:

It does sound interesting to do and I'm sure you'll do well in it :biggrin: Me on the other hand would probably flop :erm:

I'm curious for your reasons to choose to come here though :p: (Not that it's a bad place :smile:)
:p:

To be honest, I wouldn't mind not getting in this year as I have the options of trying again next year and the year after :p:

It does sound interesting to do and I'm sure you'll do well in it :biggrin: Me on the other hand would probably flop :erm:

I'm curious for your reasons to choose to come here though :p: (Not that it's a bad place :smile:)

I'd quite like a year in London. It really irritates me when there are talks and conferences I'd really like to go to that are cheap to attend, but when I then have to add on £100 for travel, plus more for overnight accommodation, it's just never feasible.
As for the actual course, I don't like the non-specificity of the Aberdeen iBSc (sorry, BMedSci :rolleyes:) and I want to spend a year doing something very orthopaedic based. I really like the look of the materials module :yes: I did my SSC on total hip replacement and found the technical implant design aspect of it really interesting.
Reply 444
I'd quite like a year in London. It really irritates me when there are talks and conferences I'd really like to go to that are cheap to attend, but when I then have to add on £100 for travel, plus more for overnight accommodation, it's just never feasible.
As for the actual course, I don't like the non-specificity of the Aberdeen iBSc (sorry, BMedSci :rolleyes:) and I want to spend a year doing something very orthopaedic based. I really like the look of the materials module :yes: I did my SSC on total hip replacement and found the technical implant design aspect of it really interesting.

I just went to our ibsc fair today and some courses are still taking a few externals, despite the blanket no....I would email the person with your keeness and see what happens.

That's fair enough :smile: I'm sure it would be a rather big contrast to that of Aberdeen, and the travel is pretty far!

It's nice to see that you have an idea of what you want to do :biggrin: If only I could work out what I want to end up as :erm:

The modules sure do look rather interesting, but it worries me that it might be insanely diffuicult to do well in :p: Apparently 50% is research to which I am not good at :lolwut:
Original post by Wangers
I just went to our ibsc fair today and some courses are still taking a few externals, despite the blanket no....I would email the person with your keeness and see what happens.

You're kidding me?! I could hug you! :jumphug:
Reply 447
Just booked ask dr clarke and have signed up for pastest. With driving lessons and rent and bills and just generally staying alive, things are very tight right now. Am writing to South Thames to ask if they will sub me my first months wages.
That's fair enough :smile: I'm sure it would be a rather big contrast to that of Aberdeen, and the travel is pretty far!

It's nice to see that you have an idea of what you want to do :biggrin: If only I could work out what I want to end up as :erm:

The modules sure do look rather interesting, but it worries me that it might be insanely diffuicult to do well in :p: Apparently 50% is research to which I am not good at :lolwut:

Btw, why are you applying for bio eng?
Btw, why are you applying for bio eng?

Out of the choices we have here, that is the only one that I feel that interests me personally. (We're not allowed to apply else where for after second year...have to wait til year 3 and 4, and even then we'd have to be ranked pretty high up :s-smilie:)

I had thought about doing some sort of engineering before coming to med school at one point, so this is a good opportunity to do so :smile:

Tissue engineering sounds pretty awesome too :awesome:
Out of the choices we have here, that is the only one that I feel that interests me personally. (We're not allowed to apply else where for after second year...have to wait til year 3 and 4, and even then we'd have to be ranked pretty high up :s-smilie:)

I had thought about doing some sort of engineering before coming to med school at one point, so this is a good opportunity to do so :smile:

Tissue engineering sounds pretty awesome too :awesome:

Ah, ok. I was torn between BioEng and Clinical Materials. My friend's doing a chemistry dissertation on making tissue scaffolds atm, that stuff is pretty interesting!
Original post by Captain Crash
fMRI is massively overrated. Despite all the pretty pictures you see in journals, all it tells you is that some neuron is releasing neurotransmitters. It doesn't tell you where from or whether the neurotranmission is excitatory or inhibitory. Also, it's incredibly difficult to control for - I don't think any meaningful studies have managed to do it.

Well for things like "Lie detectors" and even more interesting on sexuality - I can't get enough of it...especially to say to people who say being straight/gay is a choice...:facepalm:

Also today I spent 6 hours doing interrupted, continuous, subcuticular, mattress and under and over stitching. With lots of different kinds of suture - was really useful as when I was in clinics seeing all the different sutures of different gauges I was like wtf?
(edited 13 years ago)
Anyone going to the National Undergraduate General Surgery Conference at end of Feb?
Anyone going to the National Undergraduate General Surgery Conference at end of Feb?

I'm looking at that and the Association of Surgeons in Training conference in April - this one wins on price but there seems to be more careers info at ASiT.

The price goes up next week but I can't decide! :redface:

No, but I'll be doing a lot of drinking. Kind of the same,aye? :biggrin:
Original post by Bubble Toes
I'm looking at that and the Association of Surgeons in Training conference in April - this one wins on price but there seems to be more careers info at ASiT.

The price goes up next week but I can't decide! :redface:

I'd forgotten about ASIT! :facepalm: Meh, I'll do ASIT next year. The workshops at NUGSC look awesome!
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
No, but I'll be doing a lot of drinking. Kind of the same,aye? :biggrin:

Yeh, but you're always doing a lot of drinking. What's so special about end of Feb? :tongue:
Reply 457
I'd forgotten about ASIT! :facepalm: Meh, I'll do ASIT next year. The workshops at NUGSC look awesome!

googled it, it looks awesome. are you going to be going from aberdeen? I might get in touch with people I know in London and see if I can stay with them, because otherwise I can't afford travel + ticket + accom. Does it matter if you're a first year do you think..?
(edited 13 years ago)

Yeah they do look good! I might go for it... but ASiT is timed pretty well for me this year (and I'm not sure I fancy it in the run up to finals next year). I might have to scrounge some money off my parents - or make it a birthday present.

I'm going to this next weekend, quite excited by these workshops too!
Original post by lekky
googled it, it looks awesome. are you going to be going from aberdeen? I might get in touch with people I know in London and see if I can stay with them, because otherwise I can't afford travel + ticket + accom. Does it matter if you're a first year do you think..?

Yeh, my flatmate and I are going down on the Friday afternoon, staying in a hostel 2 nights (like £25 each max) and he's flying back up on Sunday night - I'm stopping off at home for a few days. It doesn't say 1st years can't go...

Latest

Trending

Trending