The Student Room Group

When a uni gives you an offer...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Unless you have lied about something, they must accept you.
Reply 21
Original post by kristinaalovesu
If you firmed the university you like, are they still able to change it or not? Like for example, I firmed this university on my ucas, will they still be able to change it?

They can't change the conditions of the offer (unless you lied on your application) and if you meet them they have to accept you.

I don't think you can change which university you've firmed either, if that's what you were asking.

Original post by TheSownRose
x

amirite?
Original post by Potiron

Original post by Potiron
They can't change the conditions of the offer (unless you lied on your application) and if you meet them they have to accept you.

I don't think you can change which university you've firmed either, if that's what you were asking.

amirite?

Thanks.
Original post by kristinaalovesu
If you firmed the university you like, are they still able to change it or not? Like for example, I firmed this university on my ucas, will they still be able to change it?

Original post by Potiron

amirite?

They can lower the offer - IIRC, my friend's insurance of Swansea was lowered by a grade a couple of months before results day and made unconditional a couple of weeks before - but not raise it. Yes, if you achieve it they have to accept you.

You can change, but it involves lengthy calls to the unis and UCAS, not always successful. If you want to change it for your insurance, you can get your firm to reject you and therefore wind up with your previous insurance as your firm (you're left with no insurance.) A couple of years ago, that was very easy; last year, firm unis started wanting to check with your insurance ... so it now involves multiple calls back and forth, and if you're really unlucky they phone UCAS who tell them they can't do that when, in fact, they can. So more phone calls assuring them that your insurance is fine, they can do it...

It does still happen, but it's a bit trickier than before.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
They can lower the offer - IIRC, my friend's insurance of Swansea was lowered by a grade a couple of months before results day and made unconditional a couple of weeks before - but not raise it. Yes, if you achieve it they have to accept you.

You can change, but it involves lengthy calls to the unis and UCAS, not always successful. If you want to change it for your insurance, you can get your firm to reject you and therefore wind up with your previous insurance as your firm (you're left with no insurance.) A couple of years ago, that was very easy; last year, firm unis started wanting to check with your insurance ... so it now involves multiple calls back and forth, and if you're really unlucky they phone UCAS who tell them they can't do that when, in fact, they can. So more phone calls assuring them that your insurance is fine, they can do it...

So much knowledge... :adore:
Some unis, realising they have too many students and will be fined, try to persuade some to not come. Most approach this by asking students if they want to take a gap year; I imagine that that will probably come with assurances of not paying the higher fees during this cycle, but we'll see.

However, some less scrupulous unis decide to tell people that there isn't a place for them, and hope the student is naive enough to believe that; it mostly happens with people who had it as their insurance choice, but some do do it with their firm students as well. I have my theories on the type of students they choose to try it on with, but I have no evidence for it beyond my own experiences.

But, that is against the contract, so the informed student will tell them that they know unis can't reject them once they have met their offer and if the uni doesn't drop the issue, the appropriate authorities will be contacted. :wink:

Thank you for this!
I'll keep it in mind on results day, and however hard they convince me otherwise, I'll tell them they're wrong!

Is there anything you don't know? :P
I think you should forget optometry and work for UCAS/TSR and answer questions! It probably won't be as fulfilling or interesting though... :tongue: :rolleyes::wink:
Original post by diamonddust
Is there anything you don't know? :P
I think you should forget optometry and work for UCAS/TSR and answer questions! It probably won't be as fulfilling or interesting though... :tongue: :rolleyes::wink:

Oh, plenty! I only got through the form with copious use of the question marks, my PS was a crock o' **** and haven't got a clue about student finance. I'm only ok on what happens after you've pressed that submit button, and even then it's hardly complete knowledge of the whole process.

And no way am I giving up on optometry; just spent the whole afternoon getting dynamic retinoscopy and spatial vision into my head, I'm not going to have any room left for more information after I'm done with my degree. :eek3:
Oh, plenty! I only got through the form with copious use of the question marks, my PS was a crock o' **** and haven't got a clue about student finance. I'm only ok on what happens after you've pressed that submit button, and even then it's hardly complete knowledge of the whole process.

And no way am I giving up on optometry; just spent the whole afternoon getting dynamic retinoscopy and spatial vision into my head, I'm not going to have any room left for more information after I'm done with my degree. :eek3:

:rofl: I'm going to pretend I know what retinoscopy and spatial vision is! :biggrin: Sounds too smart for me! :biggrin:
retinoscopy =what happens when you bump your eye on a microscope eyepiece

spatial vision =disease caused by staring at stars
Original post by nulli tertius
retinoscopy =what happens when you bump your eye on a microscope eyepiece

spatial vision =disease caused by staring at stars

Google? :tongue:
Reply 31
Google? :tongue:

Puns, I thought. I hope they're real definitions though :smile:
Original post by Potiron
Puns, I thought. I hope they're real definitions though :smile:

Oh lol, how silly of me! :blush: Oooooops, can't believe I missed that!
Would be hilarious if they were real definitions! :tongue:
Original post by Medifield
When you meet the uni's offer, can they change their mind and not accept you. Or is it against the laws of UCAS. Just something I was wondering.

Thanks

It should be fine, but strangely in Durham, I had to reply within 10 days after meeting the offer to state I still wanted to go to Durham!!! If not they said I might lose my place!!
Reply 34
Original post by Johnny Luk
It should be fine, but strangely in Durham, I had to reply within 10 days after meeting the offer to state I still wanted to go to Durham!!! If not they said I might lose my place!!

I've heard of unis doing that one before. Isn't that one bull**** too, TheSownRose?

Did you want to go to Durham?

I thought that :colondollar: they totally should be real :cute:

...your avatar makes me happy :h:
Original post by Potiron
I've heard of unis doing that one before. Isn't that one bull**** too, TheSownRose?

yeah it was my firm!

Its crazy, its like if I had met my offer (i only got the letter the next day confirming I had to do this), I could have partied, gone to a different country for a holiday to celebrate that i met my offer, came back and been told that Ive been screwed over.

mad. but me being a cautious guy, made sure I was there :smile:
Original post by Potiron

If you were in the situation where you found out you'd met the offer, gone off for a fortnight celebration and came back to them saying you hadn't replied so it had been taken away, I can't see that they have a case there.

That said, I wouldn't recommend testing it just to see what happens. :wink: If you're in a position to drop them an e-mail, just do.
Reply 38
If you were in the situation where you found out you'd met the offer, gone off for a fortnight celebration and came back to them saying you hadn't replied so it had been taken away, I can't see that they have a case there.

That said, I wouldn't recommend testing it just to see what happens. :wink: If you're in a position to drop them an e-mail, just do.

If you're waiting for say Oxford to get back to you, and don't want to make Durham your firm or insurance until you've heard, they can't whip your offer away after ten days, surely? That would be mean.

They're not. :frown:

Quick Reply