The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8600
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Bringing a 17" laptop to university is a pain. Too big and bulky. Recently, I've found myself eyeing up those 13" white MacBooks people have, their lack of noise when typing, screen size and their portability. Jealous. :ashamed:

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 13. :biggrin:

I have the matte black one. I hate glossy laptops.

It's even priced reasonably - £400-500.
Original post by lareneg
I hate glossy laptops

I hate glossy screens and the reflection in them. I wish more laptops had matte screens.
Are there any advantages to glossy screens I wonder :holmes:
Original post by Chrosson

I hate glossy screens and the reflection in them. I wish more laptops had matte screens.
Are there any advantages to glossy screens I wonder :holmes:

Better colour - you just need the right environment
Original post by secretmessages
Better colour - you just need the right environment

Ah, cheers.
I find it quite irritating that I've been thus far unable to use a laptop outside. The matte screen one was closest but it simply didn't go bright enough to be visible.

Ah, cheers.
I find it quite irritating that I've been thus far unable to use a laptop outside. The matte screen one was closest but it simply didn't go bright enough to be visible.

Indeed, that's the same difficulty I get. Matte screens keep reflection to a minimum, but on a sunny day it's just too bright outside to be able to see anything; Glossy screens are bright enough but reflect everything so you end up looking at a reflection of yourself :p:
Reply 8605
Original post by secretmessages
Indeed, that's the same difficulty I get. Matte screens keep reflection to a minimum, but on a sunny day it's just too bright outside to be able to see anything; Glossy screens are bright enough but reflect everything so you end up looking at a reflection of yourself :p:

Get a Mac? :p: Never tried it out in sunlight, but it's supposed to be quite decent.

Original post by Dez
Get a Mac? :p: Never tried it out in sunlight, but it's supposed to be quite decent.

:hmmm:

I don't leave the house enough to warrant it :teehee:
x.

I need three screens to reply to your personalities pm.
One to read my message, one to read your response and one to compose my response to your response.
:sigh:
I need three screens to reply to your personalities pm.
One to read my message, one to read your response and one to compose my response to your response.
:sigh:

It is hard to keep track. :tongue:

Original post by gamer91
but if you want a highly priced 13" you could get a thinkpad, which would double up as a snow sledge/offensive weapon/hammer/coffee strainer and you can take it with you into space should you ever happen to become an astronaut.

although I've only got a little netbook/netvertable and my desktop atm, my sister is borrowing my laptop (its a bit on the heavy/large side so I never really took it anywhere, however it is far nicer to program on than my netbook, 1024x600 is inhumane).

Original post by lareneg
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 13. :biggrin:

I have the matte black one. I hate glossy laptops.

It's even priced reasonably - £400-500.

Original post by Mad Vlad
You are nothing to me now... :sigh:

X-series Thinkpad. Surely?

:colondollar: I'm sorry, guys but I can't help but feel attracted to those MacBooks over the Thinkpads. Sony Vaio E/F series - good alternative in your opinions? They seem to also look the same and possess the same type of keyboard. :holmes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8609

It is hard to keep track. :tongue:

:colondollar: I'm sorry, guys but I can't help but feel attracted to those MacBooks over the Thinkpads. Sony Vaio E/F series - good alternative in your opinions? They seem to also look the same and possess the same type of keyboard. :holmes:

The end line with laptops tends to be you get what you pay for. Vaio, Lenovo and Macbook laptops are expensive, but tend to be much better built and last longer. Best advice you can ever take is to go into a shop and try them out - or find a friend with one. The Thinkpad Edge, Vaio E/F Series and Macbook all have the same 'Chiclet' style keyboards - and I prefer the Edge's keyboard over the Vaio's. I can type as fast on it as on a standard keyboard, which is fairly impressive (110wpm+). As I'm sure you know, the Macbook also has a fantastic keyboard.

What happened there? :lolwut:

Original post by lareneg
(110wpm+)

:zomg:
Have you done some kind of course? I can type faster than average joe but...christ.
Reply 8611
LOL I just booted up my PC, and was welcomed by Windows announcing it's a counterfeit copy (even though I genuinely bought it).

So, I clicked the "Get Genuine" option, and half a second later it popped up saying "Activation Successful" and restored my lovely Aero theme.

Oh, Windows.
new camera lens guys :awesome:

bai student loan
Reply 8613
:zomg:
Have you done some kind of course? I can type faster than average joe but...christ.

Nope. I have 130wpm on the Facebook typing test, but that was down to luck more than anything. Just tried an online one which gives you a passage to type and I get 105-115wpm consistently :biggrin:

(with 1 or 2 mistakes usually)
What happened there? :lolwut:

You're too fast. :colonhash: I copied the image URL from Google search results. Late night amateur mistake. :pierre:
(edited 13 years ago)
Somewhat tech related, for anybody that hasn't seen this - they have to watch this. It's amazing. The editing is perfect, I've never seen editing on this scale and with such skill. A girl remixed 170 films that came out this year into one video. The songs fit perfectly so that the lyrics, scenes, settings and dialogue all correlate to each other. "fall away" part of the lyric of one song is played as several scenes from several films shows a person falling. Each scene is related to the next.

I recommend watching it.

The amount of work that must have gone into making something like this is mindblowing.
(edited 13 years ago)

Somewhat tech related, for anybody that hasn't seen this - they have to watch this. It's amazing. The editing is perfect, I've never seen editing on this scale and with such skill. A girl remixed 170 films that came out this year into one video. The songs fit perfectly so that the lyrics, scenes, settings and dialogue all correlate to each other. "fall away" part of the lyric of one song is played as several scenes from several films shows a person falling. Each scene is related to the next.

I recommend watching it.

The amount of work that must have gone into making something like this is mindblowing.

nice!
Reply 8617
A girl remixed 170 films that came out this year into one video.

Last year*
Original post by lareneg
Last year*

:colondollar:

:colonhash:
Reply 8619
http://www.dabs.com/products/lacie-2tb-minimus-usb-3-0-desktop-hard-drive--compatible-with-usb-2-0--74ST.html

Yes guys, you too can be the proud owner of a levitating external hard drive.

Latest