Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
History at St Cuthbert's :jiggy:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
:hi:

Durham is my fifth choice, for biomedicine. I'm hoping to stay at the John Snow college.
Seasick Steve
:hi:

Durham is my fifth choice, for biomedicine. I'm hoping to stay at the John Snow college.

ditto
Reply 4
Law at Van Mildert :smile:
Physics at University college.
You gotta love the chance of castle accommodation!
I've chosen Nottingham over Durham but I'm still not entirely sure...

Applying for Economics L100...
Reply 7
Physics - not sure which college yet (any reccomendations?).

I'm also worried about cost. I get no support from my parents and will have the maximum maintenance grant and loan of £4900 plus hopefully the £1000 bursary that durham give out. Do you think I will be able to live the year on that? I'll try to get a job and save some before I go but stuff like that isn't certain so I don't wanna include it in the main budget.
medicine at good ol' stockton....
Anthropology and Archaeology & Anthropology at University college :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Fat-Love

I'm also worried about cost. I get no support from my parents and will have the maximum maintenance grant and loan of £4900 plus hopefully the £1000 bursary that durham give out. Do you think I will be able to live the year on that? I'll try to get a job and save some before I go but stuff like that isn't certain so I don't wanna include it in the main budget.

Easily - that's the budget I'm working on for the year, and I've got enough to put the DG in savings, in theory...
Reapplying for English - applied last year, got an offer, missed my grades :rolleyes:

not sure which college though.

WORD OF ADVICE: think twice about choosing University College (Castle) - it might look absolutely magnificent being a castle and all, but it's so popular you're more likely to get shunted to another college. So be careful!

good luck everyone!
Biomedical Sciences @ Stephenson

I don't like the idea of the formal gowned events :h:

Durham isn't my first choice, UCL is, but it's around my 2nd/3rd
Reply 13
Fat-Love

Perhaps look at where the physics faculty is and choose a college closeish to there?
I'm sure you'll be fine! My parents aren't paying for anything and I won't get the full maintenance loan but I'm sure it'll work out ok :smile:
Reply 14
Engineering at Collingwood (probably ... still persuadable). Also applying to Oxford (like that's going to happen), but I do love Durham, and tbh I'm not sure if I'd just rather go there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Alloram
Easily - that's the budget I'm working on for the year, and I've got enough to put the DG in savings, in theory...

whew! that's a load off my mind. I was worried that if durham gave me an offer I wouldn't be able to accept because of financial reasons.

Do you know of any good colleges near the physics department? I like my lie ins :biggrin:
Reply 16
I'm applying for History at St Cuthbert's, I wasn't loving the idea of catered accommodation so I didn't have too many college options

Time to send applications soon :smile:
Reply 17
Fat-Love
whew! that's a load off my mind. I was worried that if durham gave me an offer I wouldn't be able to accept because of financial reasons.

Do you know of any good colleges near the physics department? I like my lie ins :biggrin:

Near Physics?

Well, tbh they're all within walking distance...

I have to recommend Castle - not near the site, but it's my college :wink:

Near the Science Site - try Grey or St. Mary's. Or Collingwood.

If you want to check - http://www.dur.ac.uk/map/durham/ shows where everything is :smile:

And as for good colleges - they're all equally good - except whichever one you end up in, which is obviously best :smile:
I'm applying for Physics. I haven't decided which college yet, but probably one fairly close to the gym.
Reply 19
Fat-Love

Oh yeah, I think that should be fine.

I only get a basic loan and haven't struggled. That said, I've never lived in college accomodation which can be expensive. In fact, if I were to go into college as a returner (self catered ensuite) it would cost more than my loan!

Now I'm classed as an independent student, so my entitlement is no longer based on parental income, I was entitled to maximum loan and a £1000 higher education grant (what is the maintenance grant for those who entered post-2006) for my final year. But I've chosen to do it part-time meaning that I won't get either the loan or the grant. Only a £285 grant. Which is quite a difference :p:

Anyway, as mentioned I can get by comfortably enough on just the loan. The £1,000 grant wouldn't have been touched or, if it had, it would've been spent on books which although useful it's not necessary to spend more than a couple of hundred or so on books (if that) let alone £1,0000

Mind, this is living in very cheap private accomodation. Probably the cheapest private accomodation you can get in the city. But living in more expensive accomodation should still give you enough money.

Durham's small so easy to walk around. You won't have anything like transport costs. Food isn't particularly expensive. Books can be picked up quite cheaply if you get them second hand.

If you do feel you struggle financially then, once you've started, there are other potential sources of help including the access to learning fund. The university shouldn't sit back and allow you to struggle/drop out simply because of financial reasons. They won't you to complete the degree and be well supported. It's in their best interest after all :p:

But I've known a number of people with a funding level similar to yours and they do quite nicely.
(edited 13 years ago)