The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Nothing, but I only live here in holidays. Still, I'd be annoyed if she asked me for a set fee, she should really be asking my Dad first who agreed on their divorce to pay maintenance until I was out of full time education before she asked me. I do buy food though, and don't really let her pay for anything else. Its not costing her any more having me live here than it would her on her own...
Reply 81
If any of you pay rent to your parents, then your parents don't actually love you. :smug:
Some of the replies to this topic are horrible TBH.

My family consists of 1 working parent and a stay at home parent, with 4 kids.

Back when I turned 18 and started University and my younger brother dropped out of education my parents lost the majority of the childcare benefits and tax credits from the Government which was needed on top of my families income to support us all and pay the food and electricity bills without them having to go into any further debt.

Seeing as the Uni I went to is just down the road I opted to stay at home and with the loss of most of the childcare money from the Government they couldn't afford that without help and so I had no problem paying them £250 a month from my student loan and maintenance grant. This amount also helped lessen the load my Brother was on the family sitting around doing nothing, until my parents found Him a full time job through some family friends, so now I pay a bit less per month and He contributes from His wages.

I thought nothing of paying this money to my parents who dedicate so much time to raising us, whilst I was also making sure that my presence was not having a negative effect financially on my family and my youngest siblings' childhood.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 83
Any parent that accepts money off their child is very cold hearted indeed. Either that, or poor...
not sure,in the different month and date i will pay different
Original post by RIISE
Well, I find it unfair to not pay, as a University student you are an adult and should be responsible for paying your way. Anyway you get student finance so what you want all that too yourself? Very selfish.

That's not to everyone, just the ignorant ones.

your student loans and grants for maintenance are reduced if you live at home as it is assumed your parents dont charge you.
Reply 86
lol nothing, my parents aren't heartless and undignified.

This mainly happens in white trash families though, so glad I don't have parents like that.
I am staying at home whilst I go to uni and my parents would never charge me rent. I'll only be 18, and the maintenence loan is reduced a lot if you live at home, so I will need to spend it on transport, books and matching stationary :biggrin:!!

They said they would charge me a little if when I graduate and get a full time job still wish to live at home to save up for a deposit or something, but even then it wouldn't be much!
Reply 88
Everyone who is saying "it's only fair I pay my parents" is talking absolute nonsense. UNLESS your parents are actually struggling to pay the bills then I'm sure the vast majority of people here need the money more than their parents do in order to pay off student debts and perhaps place a deposit on a house. Goes to show how utterly selfish certain parents are, using their children to increase their disposable incomes. Should probably have stuck something on the end of it - that way their disposable income would be even higher.
I only pay £200/month to my landlady! I would be outraged if my parents expected anything near that off me as a STUDENT. Especially with how little loan those living at home receive! Once I'm earning I'd still not want to pay any more than that to my parents, I'd much rather pay a little more and live on my own/share with a friend!
Reply 90
My parents often joke about me paying rent but are never serious.
I have to say its a bit harsh of parents charging their kids rent. We're students! Not exactly the richest group of people in society.
Yeah it could be argued that you stay other places and you have to pay rent so why not at home but isn't that what family is for?
If they act like cold-hearted landlords then treat them like it I say :P Pick out all the tinyest faults in your bedroom and tell them you want it fixed tomorrow or you'll withhold your rent :wink: Works both ways!
Reply 91
Original post by Menakshelatte
YOU PAY RENT YO YOUR PARENTS??
what has the world come to...

neg rep me all you want..i asked my mum if she would take rent from me she looked at me as if i was crazy..
maybe it's different with asian families..
all of who is neg repping me have stingy parents.

i am from India but live in Melbourne, It does not matter you pay rent or your parents all about how match your affective you support in your family, because i know my situation in hear Australia at Melbourne, unforgeable this thing for me instead of i should support them this stage they supporting me, but when i was in London i was supported them so it is all about what you give them that all about you get, If you do good you will get in return in any kind of way, thanks
I don't live with my parents but i give my mom money every month.
Around $600-800 a month.
Reply 93
JFC, may as well move out completely for the amounts being stated on this thread.
Original post by Ex Death
Everyone who is saying "it's only fair I pay my parents" is talking absolute nonsense. UNLESS your parents are actually struggling to pay the bills then I'm sure the vast majority of people here need the money more than their parents do in order to pay off student debts and perhaps place a deposit on a house. Goes to show how utterly selfish certain parents are, using their children to increase their disposable incomes. Should probably have stuck something on the end of it - that way their disposable income would be even higher.

This.
Reply 95
huh! wth
i am an arab and when our current house was constructed my father arranged everything that when i get back from studying at UK/US... i would move back and have a big apparment uppstairs with my own entrance and garage
so i wont think he would be asking me any money
Reply 96
I don't get asked to pay my parents rent but I do contribute off my own back i.e. paying for a food shop once a month which is circa £80. I also do the majority of the housework along with my mum.
Reply 97
I recently dropped out of Uni (about 2 months or so ago) and have calculated that pretty much of the £500 or so I'll be earning a month minus maybe £50 or so due to tax (taxed on one job but not the other - both are part-time), I'll be paying my dad like at least £300 of that, though he doesn't support me in any way at all so with travel to work, shopping etc, it leaves me with about £100 a month, if that, depending on my hours.

Claims he can no longer afford to pay the £700 for the flat he bought which I had no say in him buying whatsoever so I am going to have to look to rent a room in someone else's flat/house with monthly rent that I can afford with help from my parents as I could never cover it myself, plus somehow in this economy find a job that magically pays a whole let better than £5.30 an hour and/or gives me more than 25 hours a week. Even when I was at Uni I still had to pay him like 3/4 of what I was earning at the time.
Reply 98
I'm on my gap year. Me and my parents came to an arranglement where I do most of the housework (cook 5 nights a week, clean, dishes + do laundry) and in return I live rent free.
What is wrong with some parents...?!
You shouldn't be making money out of your children, especially whilst their at uni. I think it's fair if you're living at home and working full time to contribute towards food and bills, but your parents shouldn't be making a profit out of you. My parent's said that they would rather me put money in a savings account.

Latest

Trending

Trending