The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by sophsxo
UCL is harder to get into than Oxford because although Oxford has a historical reputation, UCL is better - it's fourth best in the world!

I'm sorry, are you high? :rofl:

For English Law, nowhere in the world is better than Oxbridge.

If you were to ask what UCL is better than Oxbridge for, I'd say arguably some postgrad things, notably neuroscience, but apart from that, nothing.

People get offers from better places than others (strictly prestige wise) because places have different entry standards/look for different qualities. I knew of someone who was rejected from everywhere except Oxford for PPE, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't say York was better than Oxford for PPE.

In short, the reason they have an offer from Oxford is probably becuase they had a good interview, and that made up for some lacking in their application (perhaps LNAT, Oxford is known to accept people with relatively low LNATs, whilst UCL does not.)

Total opinion though, and I probably could be said to be extremely biased.

Should be noted also, for humanities/social sciences, Oxbridge are usually top 3 in the world.
UCL, whilst undoubtedly a fine institution, is not.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Mann18

The person who said UCL>Oxford (note, even that person didn't have the audacity to say UCL>Cambridge) was clearly just quoting the QS world uni rankings. I was going to reply, but didn't think it was worth it.

On the work ex, this summer I plan to start every letter/ phone call with 'hi, I'm a cambridge offer holder looking for..' :sexface:
That'll do it :tongue:
Original post by Mann18
I'm sorry, are you high? :rofl:

For English Law, nowhere in the world is better than Oxbridge.

If you were to ask what UCL is better than Oxbridge for, I'd say arguably some postgrad things, notably neuroscience, but apart from that, nothing.

People get offers from better places than others (strictly prestige wise) because places have different entry standards/look for different qualities. I knew of someone who was rejected from everywhere except Oxford for PPE, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't say York was better than Oxford for PPE.

In short, the reason they have an offer from Oxford is probably becuase they had a good interview, and that made up for some lacking in their application (perhaps LNAT, Oxford is known to accept people with relatively low LNATs, whilst UCL does not.)

Total opinion though, and I probably could be said to be extremely biased.

Should be noted also, for humanities/social sciences, Oxbridge are usually top 3 in the world.
UCL, whilst undoubtedly a fine institution, is not.

I agree brah.

You aren't off base at all. Oxbridge is one of the best for common law jurisdictions in general. If you were to just measure in research output, specifically at law schools, only the T6 in the US could match.
Original post by smallfish
Wow congrats on your offers :smile: Just wondering, when you got your offers from Bristol and UCL?

Sorry for the late reply - UCAS wouldn't let me login yesterday. :confused:

Bristol: 18 Nov
UCL: 26 Nov

@yilyn: Haha the island south of you ... :tongue:
Reply 1524
Original post by malizia
Southampton unsuccessful
Leeds unsuccsessful
Manchester
Queen Mary
Sheffield

I'm sure you'll get your offers :smile: Are you a home or international student? I'm international btw. I haven't been getting anything much except for acknowledgement and an offer from Cardiff. Its gonna be a long wait.:frown: How's your grades?
Reply 1525
Original post by mishieru07

Singapore! :biggrin: Hello neighbour! :smile:
Reply 1526
Original post by cem79
Eeek well done!!! I am happy for you, but now scared, I'm a Law applicant waiting 2 hear lol!!!

Thanks! And don't worry. Maybe they're just processing international applications earlier so overseas students get to arrange flights, a visa and so on
Conditional offer from Sheffield University:smile:
Date sent- 9th December
Date received - 20th January
Reply 1528
Has anyone got an offer from Warwick doing Law and Business (MN11)? Thx
Original post by mishieru07
Sorry for the late reply - UCAS wouldn't let me login yesterday. :confused:

Bristol: 18 Nov
UCL: 26 Nov

Not to worry :smile:

Those are very early... hmm guess I'll have to wait a while -_-
Reply 1530
DUFFMAN! appreciates how difficult this is for all of you waiting for offers and would like to extend his support and encouragement to those of you still waiting for key decisions to be made. Hang in there! Every day you aren't rejected is a day closer to getting an offer. YEAH!

Try taking your mind off law school with a nice, frosty DUFF beverage :smile:
Original post by DUFFMAN!

DUFFMAN! appreciates how difficult this is for all of you waiting for offers and would like to extend his support and encouragement to those of you still waiting for key decisions to be made. Hang in there! Every day you aren't rejected is a day closer to getting an offer. YEAH!

DUFFMAN i want a frosty beverage! awesome post thought

Is this marketing? Has Matt Groening decided to launch Duff as a spin off product? Are you here to spread the word?

Good post though.
Ive applied for law at ucl.

Does anyone know -- if you get an offer is it just straight forwared?

as in, do they just offer u a place

or do they do some open day thing?
Reply 1534
Original post by tsevron
Thanks! And don't worry. Maybe they're just processing international applications earlier so overseas students get to arrange flights, a visa and so on

Oh ok I didn't see you were international!!! Are u gonna firm it then? I think you're the first person I've seen on here that's got an offer for Law from Notts.
Reply 1535
Original post by TY1234
Has anyone got an offer from Warwick doing Law and Business (MN11)? Thx

I have a friend who has an offer for Law with German (or maybe straight Law i'm not sure) if that helps!x
Reply 1536
Original post by cem79

Original post by cem79
I have a friend who has an offer for Law with German (or maybe straight Law i'm not sure) if that helps!x

ya that helps thx! btw Do u know when did ur frd receive it and when did he/she hand in his/her ucas? arghhh Im so worried!
Reply 1537

Original post by tyj1
was told 40's

Nice! Congrats once again !
Original post by rdude
Hi, sorry for the rejection :frown:
I was just wondering if you found out the reason for the rejection as surely your grades fit the entry requirement :s
what subjects do you do/what are you gcse grades?

stupid silly LNAT TEST :frown: which was the reason of the rejection....:frown:
thx for asking though :smile: x
for my gcses i gt : 2 A*, 7 As, 2 Bs
Reply 1539
Original post by cutegirl15
stupid silly LNAT TEST :frown: which was the reason of the rejection....:frown:
thx for asking though :smile: x
for my gcses i gt : 2 A*, 7 As, 2 Bs

KCL told you then that it was your LNAT score?

Latest

Trending

Trending