The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gemma :)!

[QUOTE=Gemma [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]!;29477789]Can I join, please? :-)

Good to see you around here Gemma :smile:

How are you?
Original post by Facticity
Hmmm that sounds very serious. I feel for you, you have my condolences :redface: I think from your situation, stress and grief (if that is all he brings) should be kept away, it can serve to weaken a family. So perhaps keeping a distance is recommended. However I think it is important to keep in mind that scripture tells us to be mindful of our elders, your grandfather is the reason your parents are here and thus the reason you are here. I think perhaps if he is disrupting your family, a distance would be good, however it shouldn't become a hate because that is a powerful and unpleasant emotion. Perhaps the best thing is to stay away however I think he is still your grandfather. We are told to love as Christians not hate or exile others. :redface:

But perhaps I don't fully understand your situation, so I cannot speak entirely in confidence. :smile:

I think I left out a vital piece of information, he's my step granddad, don't know if that makes any difference... :smile:
Good to see you around here Gemma :smile:

How are you?

Hello!
I'm fantastic at the moment thanks, how are you?
I've worked out how to join the society ha sorry I am a tad slow!
xxx
Original post by Tzarchasm
Drinking in moderation is fine. Drinking excessively is not, especially if you are drinking in order to get drunk.

"And do not bedrunkwith wine which is dissipation but be filled with the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18)

Sorry if I interfered. :colondollar:

haha, don't worry, the question was actually aimed at all! I was interested to have a bit of a debate up here because so many people think differently round here.

Original post by + polarity -
the deed's been done mate :rofl:

Yes pols (but not to get cheesy christian here :tongue:) Jesus forgives, washes us clean as the whitest snow. so the deeds been undone! aha.... no? okay :getmecoat:

Original post by marille
Meh, so long as you can generally behave yourself (both in terms of your actions whilst drunk and the amount of crap you're pouring through your liver) I don't think it matters that much. :p:

EDIT (for the sake of transparency): she says looking at an empty vodka bottle under the desk...

I think that's what I've pretty much decided, because I hate counting units I tend to go on how I feel and generally aim it so I don't get much past tipsy, My tolerance varies a lot. so this is best for me :smile:

Original post by insignificant
Following on from this... I have a question to you fellow christians :smile: Do you ever feel guilty drinking? Personally, I feel that it's wrong to drink, as you shouldn't have to use a drug to induce happiness, and it inhibits you and I like to be in control. I don't mind drinking, on the principle of say wine tasting, so it's appreciating the taste rather than the effects it has.

Not drinking has led to many people looking at me like I am mad, and is one of the reasons I haven't really got on with many people. But when I transfer Uni, I'm going to join the Christian society and hopefully have a chance of finding more like minded people.

This is not a dig at anyone by the way! Just my own personal belief.

I drink, but not to induce happiness. though that said sometimes just makes everything funny. I like the buzz, and I can be buzzy without being out of control, not a fan of out of control. (It's taken me a long time to gain control in these situations)

In the past with alcohol I've done things of a not very high moral standard, and drinking heavily was normal within my social group. but that is just one of the many things God has changed within my heart.

Original post by Purple Haze
i think its a hard one because everyones tolerance to alcohol is different. two drinks could get me drunk whereas for someone else it could be about 5...and how you define drunk is also an issue

You don't have to drink to have a good time, the best times i have had i have been completely sober lol..I think i am blessed in the way that even though the majority of my friends are christian they still respect my beliefs and thigngs

personally i prefer not to drink at all :smile:

I
Original post by Calumcalum
Don't worry, I get the same. There are a few other non-drinkers around at uni. :smile:

RE: the general conversation, I'm a bit of a puritan. Take from that what you will...

why are ya transferrin'?

oh yh I'm effectively tee-total

alcohol tastes nasty

some beverages are delicious. TOFFEE VODKA SO NICE! :smile:
Can I join, please? :-)

welcome :smile: How's things doing? You seem to have joined at a slightly more interesting time!

More alcohol + christianness responses welcome :h:
Original post by rainbowbex

Yes pols (but not to get cheesy christian here :tongue:) Jesus forgives, washes us clean as the whitest snow. so the deeds been undone! aha.... no? okay :getmecoat:

some beverages are delicious. TOFFEE VODKA SO NICE! :smile:

:yep: :top: :rofl:

I don't see how those two flavours could work together, but maybe I will find out one day :ahee:

Sainsbury's squeezed red grape juice is ****ing delicious, not even exaggerating

welcome :smile: How's things doing? You seem to have joined at a slightly more interesting time!

More alcohol + christianness responses welcome :h:

Hiii :-)
I'm good, how are you?

Loving the alcohol related discussion. It's actually fascinating the level of difference in opinion there can be between people who are all supposedly following the same religion and "rules" (for want of a better word..)

Personally, I am a tee-total but that's got nothing to do with my religion as bad as that probably sounds.

I am a Christian and have been since I was born (although only fully practising since 2008 when I was adult enough to go against what my family wanted for me) but the reason I don't drink is because my Grandad got throat cancer a couple of years back from drinking alcohol (not exsessively, either) and it scared me. Simple as that.

Looking forward to some interesting (and hopefully more polite than the rest of TSR!) discussions on here!
:colone:

Yeah, my dad dropped me off on Monday morning lol. This week has been gruelling so far, and will continue to be so until Monday, when I finish this assignment (this morning) and this project, but then I'll have other projects and problem sheets to be getting on with, but I'll give myself a couple of days off. :colonhash:

I've just rolled out of bed so I'm not fully awake yet, and I got some crazy migraines the first couple of days of term, so my first proper day was yesterday. :borat:

How are you? Did you had exams? :broken:

i'm goooood thanks, going for dinner with a friend tonight which will be nice :smile:

Project fun then?? Sorry to hear about your migranes, that must suck!

I had two exams last week, if you go back a few pages you can witness me complaining about them.

Think I'm about to make a crazy multiple post again. I do that!

i'm goooood thanks, going for dinner with a friend tonight which will be nice :smile:

Project fun then?? Sorry to hear about your migranes, that must suck!

I had two exams last week, if you go back a few pages you can witness me complaining about them.

Think I'm about to make a crazy multiple post again. I do that!

Very nice! Where to? :eating:

It's been nice to bring an idea to life, but I did virtually obsess over it for a few days, and it took me a few days to recover, but I still have a bit to do this evening, then a load of research to do over the weekend. :sigh:

I'm almost having one now. I took 1 paracetamol plus earlier on though. I'm hoping a short nap will take care of the rest :ahee:

Yeah I think I saw those posts when I was lurking :smug:
here's a question for you; stance on drinking as a Christian. she asks with a hangover, lol

I drink, and I would like to say I don't drink to excess...but I have done a few times in my life. Luckily even on those times I've not done anything bad. I do try and limit myself to tipsy drunk rather than out of it...but sometimes it's rather hard to judge when the tipping point is. Considering I've just gone and bought a bottle of wine and some vodka for flat party I'm going to tonight, I'm hardly tee-total :getmecoat:
Hiii :-)
I'm good, how are you?

Loving the alcohol related discussion. It's actually fascinating the level of difference in opinion there can be between people who are all supposedly following the same religion and "rules" (for want of a better word..)

Personally, I am a tee-total but that's got nothing to do with my religion as bad as that probably sounds.

I am a Christian and have been since I was born (although only fully practising since 2008 when I was adult enough to go against what my family wanted for me) but the reason I don't drink is because my Grandad got throat cancer a couple of years back from drinking alcohol (not exsessively, either) and it scared me. Simple as that.

Looking forward to some interesting (and hopefully more polite than the rest of TSR!) discussions on here!

I'm well thank you. Still waiting to hear back about a Job as they are still waiting on a reference.

Well, that then changes the discussion to boil down what being christian really is. (which could end up being a VERY long post. There is differences in opinion across the board, for me it may be another thing God moves to change in me, but for now I'm fairly comfortable with how it's at. (if that makes sense?)

I don't think it sounds bad, I think that what you put into your own body is your choice, and seeing things like that I understand. yeh, we tend to be much politer in here, the general lack of religion hating is the prime feature.

May I ask as what changed - made you choose to commit to Christ (well start practising) instead of well whatever.. lol

Very nice! Where to? :eating:

It's been nice to bring an idea to life, but I did virtually obsess over it for a few days, and it took me a few days to recover, but I still have a bit to do this evening, then a load of research to do over the weekend. :sigh:

I'm almost having one now. I took 1 paracetamol plus earlier on though. I'm hoping a short nap will take care of the rest :ahee:

Yeah I think I saw those posts when I was lurking :smug:

he's cooking :h: he's a good friend!

you've build that? or designed it? (sorry dumb)

:frown: I hope there is no issue! And you don't get one!

hhmm, I've been thinking, I was talking to a friend yest, and he was asking me for my testimony (I wouldn't give it) saying he wanted to know more about me/my history.

I guess this struck a point because I'm on one hand, what dya wanna kno, and on the other hand won't share that. but then testimony is personal so? was I bad for saying no? :/

he's cooking :h: he's a good friend!

you've build that? or designed it? (sorry dumb)

:frown: I hope there is no issue! And you don't get one!

hhmm, I've been thinking, I was talking to a friend yest, and he was asking me for my testimony (I wouldn't give it) saying he wanted to know more about me/my history.

I guess this struck a point because I'm on one hand, what dya wanna kno, and on the other hand won't share that. but then testimony is personal so? was I bad for saying no? :/

:gah:

designed lol, but I can make it move :wizard:

Maybe you could've given him just a little bit of info :colondollar: But what you're saying makes complete sense. :yes:

I'm not sure what my testimony is, apart from being alive

Spoiler

I'm well thank you. Still waiting to hear back about a Job as they are still waiting on a reference.

Well, that then changes the discussion to boil down what being christian really is. (which could end up being a VERY long post. There is differences in opinion across the board, for me it may be another thing God moves to change in me, but for now I'm fairly comfortable with how it's at. (if that makes sense?)

I don't think it sounds bad, I think that what you put into your own body is your choice, and seeing things like that I understand. yeh, we tend to be much politer in here, the general lack of religion hating is the prime feature.

May I ask as what changed - made you choose to commit to Christ (well start practising) instead of well whatever.. lol

Ooh sounds good, fingers crossed you get it! Getting any kind of job is pretty good right now lol x

Well religion is obviously something that's really person to us as individuals, so I guess we can't expect others to have the same views or the same strength views.. if that makes sense.

That is a LONG story, and one that's only just (literally, in the past couple of weeks) sorted itself out for me.. back in 2008 I met this guy who was a Christian, and went to church several times a week, lived his life in a really good, kind way etc (pretty stereotypical, actually, don't meet a lot of people like it) and I really liked him. I've always gone to church, but not every week, maybe every 3-4 weeks while I was growing up.. so I made the decision to go with this guy whenever he went.

Anyway to cut a long story a little less long (lol) the people there were amazing, the way ideas were put across was respectable and not "pushy", and every fact was given reasoning, which I liked. God has always been a part of my life, but I feel like I've always lived "with" him rather than "for" him (again, no idea if that makes sense, but I'm trying!)

Meeting this guy, and seeing how other Christians live their life just made me think very, very hard about how I should be living mine. I'm not pretending that I don't still make mistakes, I have a lot to learn still, but I feel like I'm in a much better "place" with regards to religion and my general life now than I ever have been!

Sorry for the long post!!

I think I left out a vital piece of information, he's my step granddad, don't know if that makes any difference... :smile:

Hmmm, It may do, i guess if you do not owe yourelf to him and he has not cared for the family, then the best option is to take a step away. But as I said before, you may not be alive because of him, however we should restrain from hating people. :redface:
As I said though, I cannot comprehend being in your shoes, so I think only prayer and acting as you see fit can help :smile:

[QUOTE=Gemma [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]!;29480275]Hello!
I'm fantastic at the moment thanks, how are you?
I've worked out how to join the society ha sorry I am a tad slow!
xxx

haha took your time. But now that you're here :woo:

I'm quite good. Exams were stressing me, and even cut into my TSR time :nooo: I know, it was tragic haha

No worries, we all have our slow moments. Everything well for you?
Hmmm, It may do, i guess if you do not owe yourelf to him and he has not cared for the family, then the best option is to take a step away. But as I said before, you may not be alive because of him, however we should restrain from hating people. :redface:
As I said though, I cannot comprehend being in your shoes, so I think only prayer and acting as you see fit can help :smile:

Sorry to but in :colondollar: but I have been in a similar position so I though I may put my 2 cents in :redface:

I would say that you shouldn't feel bad or feel obligated to tell others your testimony. Your testimony is your own, between you and God alone. If it is personal, then there is no reason to feel bad about not sharing it with the world. God doesn't judge you for it and the person asking shouldn't (unless their ultra strict!). The past is the past, and that is where it stays right? So no need to unnecessarily share it with everyone. :smile:
Sorry to but in :colondollar: but I have been in a similar position so I though I may put my 2 cents in :redface:

I would say that you shouldn't feel bad or feel obligated to tell others your testimony. Your testimony is your own, between you and God alone. If it is personal, then there is no reason to feel bad about not sharing it with the world. God doesn't judge you for it and the person asking shouldn't (unless their ultra strict!). The past is the past, and that is where it stays right? So no need to unnecessarily share it with everyone. :smile:

I would rep you, but I can't til I've repped some other ppl more.

thanks for this post, appreciate it! And don't appologise for butting in, if I wasn't inviting a public reply, I wouldn't post on a public forum. :wink:

I also kinda apreciate that my testimony is quite powerful (or haha I believe it to be because God has done soooo much with me, most people have noticed the change) and could be good to be shared..
Corinthians 6:10 "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Proverbs 23:19-21, "Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way. Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: for the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty."
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2478
Original post by Tzarchasm
Corinthians 6:10 "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Proverbs 23:19-21, "Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way. Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: for the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty."

From the same books you quoted:

1 Corinthians 14:34 : "Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says."

Proverbs 27:15-16 : "A quarrelsome wife is like the dripping of a leaky roof in a rainstorm; restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand."

Seems like the Bible doesn't like women much either... :p:

(Textual and historical context is important for a lot of Christians.)

EDIT: I found this when I was looking for those ... Proverbs 25:16 : "If you find honey, eat just enough— too much of it, and you will vomit." Lol, thanks Proverbs, ily.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ooh sounds good, fingers crossed you get it! Getting any kind of job is pretty good right now lol x

Well religion is obviously something that's really person to us as individuals, so I guess we can't expect others to have the same views or the same strength views.. if that makes sense.

That is a LONG story, and one that's only just (literally, in the past couple of weeks) sorted itself out for me.. back in 2008 I met this guy who was a Christian, and went to church several times a week, lived his life in a really good, kind way etc (pretty stereotypical, actually, don't meet a lot of people like it) and I really liked him. I've always gone to church, but not every week, maybe every 3-4 weeks while I was growing up.. so I made the decision to go with this guy whenever he went.

Anyway to cut a long story a little less long (lol) the people there were amazing, the way ideas were put across was respectable and not "pushy", and every fact was given reasoning, which I liked. God has always been a part of my life, but I feel like I've always lived "with" him rather than "for" him (again, no idea if that makes sense, but I'm trying!)

Meeting this guy, and seeing how other Christians live their life just made me think very, very hard about how I should be living mine. I'm not pretending that I don't still make mistakes, I have a lot to learn still, but I feel like I'm in a much better "place" with regards to religion and my general life now than I ever have been!

Sorry for the long post!!

Agreed. That's really cool, not to worry about the long post! if I were to tell of my journey with God (my testimony) we'd kinda be here all day, lol. I will tell it eventually. I don't know when or where, but it'll happen! I love the with/for analogy i might just have to steal it.

I'm really sorry for the slow reply, I had to run out.

Sounds kinda similar to mine really, this church I've got in Bristol has shown me so much and I've really learnt from them! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending