The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) Core 3 - 19/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Full solutions
Original post by ward309
Full solutions

You've made a mistake on question 8a(ii).
β=212π(α12π)=212πα+12π=3πα2πα\beta = 2\frac{1}{2}\pi - (\alpha - \frac{1}{2}\pi) = 2\frac{1}{2}\pi - \alpha + \frac{1}{2}\pi = 3\pi - \alpha \not= 2\pi - \alpha.

Other than that, I agree with those solutions.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
β=212π(α12π)=212πα+12π=3πα2πα\beta = 2\frac{1}{2}\pi - (\alpha - \frac{1}{2}\pi) = 2\frac{1}{2}\pi - \alpha + \frac{1}{2}\pi = 3\pi - \alpha \not= 2\pi - \alpha.

Are they the same as Mr M's? I hope so as I think I only dropped 3 marks (fingers crossed)
Reply 323
Original post by fell
we'll kill core 4 :wink: (and re take C3)

high five to that :biggrin:
Original post by Got the tshirt
Are they the same as Mr M's? I hope so as I think I only dropped 3 marks (fingers crossed)

Yes (apart from the mistake I pointed out above).
Yes (apart from the mistake I pointed out above).

You got pooled for Cambridge??!! :eek: Do they know the kind of genius that you are?! You're like some kind of maths wizard! :wizard:

Will you be hopefully joining us at Imperial if Cambridge doesn't work out? :tongue:
Original post by nikita_atikin
You got pooled for Cambridge??!! :eek: Do they know the kind of genius that you are?! You're like some kind of maths wizard! :wizard:

Will you be hopefully joining us at Imperial if Cambridge doesn't work out? :tongue:

Definitely considering it! :wink:

It basically will come down to what UMS I achieve in FMaths; whether I get 3A*s; and whether I get a S in STEP II or III, or not... If I achieve all of these, I may be tempted to reapply if Cambridge doesn't want me right now. :p:

I'm clearly not as good as most of you think I am haha! The fact that I'm pooled says it all! :p:
Original post by Backslash
Re-take looks like a possibility! Hopefully, having done core 4 by summer, that'll help with core 3! Just hoping it's not a HARDER paper in summer...

In the opinion of most people who know of the OCR A-Level maths exams (including my teachers), it is pretty much unanimous that C3 has been a harder paper than C4 for the last 5-6 papers. C4 in itself doesn't particularly help C3 at all really (apart from the integration practice you get in C4). It seems as though they are using C3 to filter most of the A* candidates.
Reply 328
In the opinion of most people who know of the OCR A-Level maths exams (including my teachers), it is pretty much unanimous that C3 has been a harder paper than C4 for the last 5-6 papers. C4 in itself doesn't particularly help C3 at all really (apart from the integration practice you get in C4). It seems as though they are using C3 to filter most of the A* candidates.

I thought this C4 was harder than this C3, tbh. I must be weird :s-smilie:
Original post by ElMoro
I thought this C4 was harder than this C3, tbh. I must be weird :s-smilie:

C4 comes down to whether you can integrate, differentiate and solve easy linear differential equations. If you can do those, it's a straight forward exam. The only other topic is vectors, in which doesn't even go into much depth at all (it's quite a tough concept to grasp for many people at first, though). This year's C3 was probably about as difficult as last summer's. The C4 paper was harder than last summer's though, in my opinion.
The C4 paper was harder than last summer's though, in my opinion.

Really? I found the last one (June) pretty difficult, this one I found some what a lot more straight forward. What would you say was more difficult, just in general :smile:

Also I agree with you, the C3 papers have been a lot more challenging than the C4 papers in the last 5-6 sittings.
Original post by mathsclown
Really? I found the last one (June) pretty difficult, this one I found some what a lot more straight forward. What would you say was more difficult, just in general :smile:

Also I agree with you, the C3 papers have been a lot more challenging than the C4 papers in the last 5-6 sittings.

Well I compared how long it took in comparison to last year's C4. It took me 35-40 minutes to finish C4 last year and that was enough time to get 100%. This paper took about 50 minutes to do and I even slipped up on one of the questions (numerical errors :rolleyes:). The possible reason for this difference in timing is that I took the former under exam conditions whereas I was in no rush to finish off the Jan 2011 paper. I thought the paper was ridiculously easy last year so, in my mind, it didn't take much thought to be convinced that this year's paper was more difficult (as there wasn't too much to beat, in terms of difficulty). Just my opinion though, others may disagree.
Well I compared how long it took in comparison to last year's C4. It took me 35-40 minutes to finish C4 last year and that was enough time to get 100%. This paper took about 50 minutes to do and I even slipped up on one of the questions (numerical errors :rolleyes:). The possible reason for this difference in timing is that I took the former under exam conditions whereas I was in no rush to finish off the Jan 2011 paper. I thought the paper was ridiculously easy last year so, in my mind, it didn't take much thought to be convinced that this year's paper was more difficult (as there wasn't too much to beat, in terms of difficulty). Just my opinion though, others may disagree.

Ah cool, then again I did put a lot more effort in for the Jan 2011 paper, that might have made the difference. Anyways thanks for the response :smile:
Original post by gregory14db
Same here. So I'm going to have extra tuition outside of school. And yeah I know it's expensive but if it means you can get into the university and course of your choice then I think you should think about it. Even just half an hour a week will help. I am applying for medicine next September and so I need an A, but am only predicted an A/B, and that is what I will get without extra help.

I think my main problem was that I just didnt understand what it was asking. If it'd been any of the other past papers we'd doe I'd have almost definatly got A if not A* but that one completely threw me. Almost certain for a re-sit but so is almost everyone else at my college. I've applied for medicine this year so i really need an A, but i think i'll need to out do myself to not get an A overall, think i only need C's in all the exams for A2.

I might consider tuition after that, but I never considered it before cause (I though) I got it, A's and A*'s in mock so assumed i was ok. Think i should get help with actually reading the question, that might help me lol

Good luck with applying for Medicine! :smile: and don't do what I've done and start to panic a bit if other people hear things way before you do, you'll get something through eventually even though it feels like forever cause you send your application in before everyone else :smile:
Reply 334

I'm aware of this

thanks

Just read you were pooled. I'm really surprised. I thought you would certainly get an offer. You are a lot more able than some students I have taught who were successful. Did the interview not go particularly well?
Original post by Mr M
Just read you were pooled. I'm really surprised. I thought you would certainly get an offer. You are a lot more able than some students I have taught who were successful. Did the interview not go particularly well?

No longer pooled, I've just been rejected. My interview went as well as it possibly could have gone, in my opinion. Answered everything they asked me in a reasonably good time scale with one or two prods throughout. In my second interview, there was a question in which we were only expected to do roughly one half of in the given time of half an hour but I completed it fully and so we were left discussing things other than the question such as my EPQ, for example.

I'm honoured that you think I'm that able although I've always felt as though I'm a bit overrated and, to be honest, this seems to have proven it. I guess I'm considering reapplication as it's where I wanted to be. That decision will wait until results day.

I think what's done it for me is my very poor mechanics mark.

I'm trying to figure out how to get feedback. Do you know who I would need to contact for this?
(edited 13 years ago)
No longer pooled, I've just been rejected. My interview went as well as it possibly could have gone, in my opinion. Answered everything they asked me in a reasonably good time scale with one or two prods throughout. In my second interview, there was a question in which we were only expected to do roughly one half of in the given time of half an hour but I completed it fully and so we were left discussing things other than the question such as my EPQ, for example.

I'm honoured that you think I'm that able although I've always felt as though I'm a bit overrated and, to be honest, this seems to have proven it. I guess I'm considering reapplication as it's where I wanted to be. That decision will wait until results day.

I'm trying to figure out how to get feedback. Do you know who I would need to contact for this?

Yes you can get feedback through your school. Your Head of Sixth Form would normally request it.

Did your school fully back your application? I'm wondering if your reference was lukewarm. Do they rate you highly?

What was your mechanics mark? Is this M1?
Original post by Mr M
Yes you can get feedback through your school. Your Head of Sixth Form would normally request it.

Did your school fully back your application? I'm wondering if your reference was lukewarm. Do they rate you highly?

Thank you, I will get in contact with him soon.

I was the only person ever (AFAIK) who was encouraged to take STEP in year 12 so I guess they do think something good of my mathematical ability. My reference was written by my form tutor, who hasn't ever worked with me in a mathematical environment before so I guess, in that respect, it could have been weaker than had it been written by my maths teacher? I have doubts that it would boil down to something as small as that though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending