The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by riever86
I know there's lawyers at respected firms from both, but yes, in the latest tables Durham is higher. Not that I think they're worth that much. And I think there is something to be said for following your heart in these things, being comfortable in your surroundings is a good thing to have when doing something as intense as a law degree, surely.

I got my official offer letter from St. John's today. So will be heading up there in March, to have a look around.

Exactly. You can't really go wrong with either. I think LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, KCL and Bristol would give you the exact same prospects.

Did you do any schooling in the US btw?

Congrats!

I was planning on going to the open day, but it wasn't worth paying for the flight. There's little that can be done to change my mind on Durham. If it didn't cost $1200 though, I would definitely go.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by spocckka

:s-smilie:

Engineering at collingwood too :smile:

they havnt gotten back to me about my college its been like 3 weeks (which is okay, but my friend got in for law a few months ago.. and they still havnt told hr). engineering too :smile:
:s-smilie:

Engineering at collingwood too :smile:

Awesome :smile: Are you going on one of the two day college and department visits?

Original post by nuttynatz
:biggrin: aw... haha... thats really great you got an offer then.. lol.. you must be getting pretty excited then :wink:! :biggrin: Yeah, I've loved Durham from the beginning so yeah i would definitly firm it :tongue:

What was there offer if you don't mind me asking :colondollar:

They gave me an offer of AAB, which I'm really happy with. Hopefully motivation will kick in soon and I'll find it less of a chore to start working :rolleyes:
Original post by martyp417
they havnt gotten back to me about my college its been like 3 weeks (which is okay, but my friend got in for law a few months ago.. and they still havnt told hr). engineering too :smile:

Have you checked the aes?
Original post by Keckers
Awesome :smile: Are you going on one of the two day college and department visits?

hopefully, hopefully. I've only heard my college on he aes, so I haven't received a letter yet, but gather that that means I'm in.
I'd want to go to the open day/night/day, but I'm coming from northern ireland and a lot of money has already been spent on flights to interviews and other open days. But Im sure il be able to make, it looks great.

Have you checked the aes?

i feel really stupid right now, whats the aes? :smile:

i feel really stupid right now, whats the aes? :smile:

It's Durhams' own site where you can check the status of your application. It shows when your apllication has been passed from dept to college etc. Also, when your college is allocated, it appears under "useful links" a few days before the letter arrives.

They send the log in details with the acknowledgement when you first apply.
Original post by KayteeKaytee

Original post by KayteeKaytee
It's Durhams' own site where you can check the status of your application. It shows when your apllication has been passed from dept to college etc. Also, when your college is allocated, it appears under "useful links" a few days before the letter arrives.

They send the log in details with the acknowledgement when you first apply.

thankyou!
so im on useful links and it says (under the title colleges), st johns college, colleges. does that mean ive applied to st johns (which i have) or that im accepted into st johns..?
Reply 2988
thankyou!
so im on useful links and it says (under the title colleges), st johns college, colleges. does that mean ive applied to st johns (which i have) or that im accepted into st johns..?

It normally means you've been accepted into St. John's. I applied to St John's too: about a week after I got the offer, "useful links" updated with a link to St John's, and then yesterday I got the letter from them. Congratulations, and hope to see you in September! (I'm for law.)
Reply 2989
Rejected for History with 5 A's at AS level. :frown:
Original post by BigPash
Rejected for History with 5 A's at AS level. :frown:

It's really not all about grades, History is so horrendous oversubscribed that pretty much everyone has perfect AS grades, A* A-levels predicted/achieved, A*s at GCSE, etc.

I guess it all comes down to the reference and personal statement, and if you seem like a good fit for the history degree at Durham. Did your personal statement suggest you want to study things that aren't really in the Durham course? They might have thought you'd be more suited to another course. :s-smilie:

EDIT - whoever disliked this, it's true!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2991
rejection for English Literature

it's going to be a sad friday evening :/

It normally means you've been accepted into St. John's. I applied to St John's too: about a week after I got the offer, "useful links" updated with a link to St John's, and then yesterday I got the letter from them. Congratulations, and hope to see you in September! (I'm for law.)

oh awesome!! my friend got in for law too, st johns, but shes aiming for oxford (smart girl ahah) :smile:
Original post by LukethePianoMan
That sounds pretty fun actually, and I'll be 18 by then too, though I don't want to get too embarrasingly drunk! There is freshers week for meeting everyone, as the train fares are pretty costly too, £80 for you too i presume, on top of the £30 accomodation fees.
I was talking to someone who goes to a different university (you don't want to know where :wink:) but he said at the Durham open day he had the time of his life! The open day sounds like a very good experience but I think I'll save the money and catch up work :smile:

Look at train fares now. You may well be able to get an advanced fare a lot cheaper than the usual fare if you book early (but be aware that you have to travel on a particular train). From Worcester for instance, it's £27 return rather than £93.
Reply 2994
Conditional offer for Accounting and Finance :smile:
Reply 2995
just a quick question....my AES has changed to 'received by a college. A decision has not yet been made' on thursday. How long till i get told of an offer/rejection? And is it likely that it will be an offer...so just as likely to be rejecton?

thanks
Reply 2996
Original post by e.lau16
just a quick question....my AES has changed to 'received by a college. A decision has not yet been made' on thursday. How long till i get told of an offer/rejection? And is it likely that it will be an offer...so just as likely to be rejecton?

thanks

It will most likely be an offer.. but sometimes you have to wait until a college takes you too.. the department has accepted you! Well done :smile:
Original post by tiny hobbit
Look at train fares now. You may well be able to get an advanced fare a lot cheaper than the usual fare if you book early (but be aware that you have to travel on a particular train). From Worcester for instance, it's £27 return rather than £93.

Ah I'll have a look then!
What course are you applying to?
Original post by e.lau16

thanks

Very likely to be made an offer :smile: Congratulations :smile:
My 1000th post!
I would like to dedicate my 1000th post to all you Durham applicants, lets hope everyone gets offers who wants to go there so we can all go and have a great time there!
Can't wait to go to Durham this October :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending