The Student Room Group

Calling all female prospective mechanical engineers!

Are there any of you out there?! I can't be the only one.

Where've you all applied for? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Personally I applied general to keep my options open, but think I will go mechanical later.
Reply 2
Hey, yeah well i have applied for aeronautical engineering at bath, southampton, bristol, sheffield and leeds. I have an offer from all of them appart from bristol which i have an interview for next week! nervous! where have you applied?? :smile:
Heyy :smile: I've applied for aerospace eng at Leicester and electronic and electrical at York Sussex and my backup dundee, I think I want to do the aerospace course because I want to eventually design planes and spacecraft, and be an RAF engineer some day :biggrin: I must say it is relief to find some girls applying for any engineering course! I am the only one in my school and it's an all girls school lol. The ratio for boys to girls in eng. courses is about. 90:10 at best in most places!

Also: i have my interview at York on the 17th feb, does anyone know what type of things we would get asked? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
OMG I'm so glad I'm not the only girl doing mechanical engineering lol :biggrin: Well I applied to Southampton, Imperial, Durham, Bath and Cambridge. I got rejected from Cam :redface: and I'm still awaiting responses from Bath and Imperial. I've got offers from Soton and Durham :smile::clap2:
Reply 5
Good luck to you all! I started mechanical engineering in September and it's awesome. I was the only girl I knew applying for it at the time and it was a bit daunting at first, but I'm really enjoying it so far (:
All of you should PM me - girls who are good at Maths = HOT! :coma:
Reply 7
Original post by yourworstnightmare
All of you should PM me - girls who are good at Maths = HOT! :coma:

:ditto:
I have applied for mechanical engineering at Sheffield and Edinburgh and general engineering at Cambridge, Warwick and Durham. I have offers for all except Edinburgh who I haven't heard back from yet.
Looking forward to being in a minority having been at an all girls school for the last 7 years.:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Got the tshirt
I have applied for mechanical engineering at Sheffield and Edinburgh and general engineering at Cambridge, Warwick and Durham. I have offers for all except Edinburgh who I haven't heard back from yet.
Looking forward to being in a minority having been at an all girls school for the last 7 years.:smile:

Oh, finally I found a girl who got an offer for engineering from Cambridge! Congrats!!!

I didn't apply for mechanical engineering, but I am a girl :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hermione17
Oh, finally I found a girl who got an offer for engineering from Cambridge! Congrats!!!

I didn't apply for mechanical engineering, but I am a girl :biggrin:

Wow! I think girls are even more of a rarity in electrical than they are in mech eng!! Looking forward to it? :wink: I went on a taster course at UCL for electrical but didn't find that interesting :smile:
btw...for your offer did they ask for the A* in a specific subject?
Wow! I think girls are even more of a rarity in electrical than they are in mech eng!! Looking forward to it? :wink: I went on a taster course at UCL for electrical but didn't find that interesting :smile:
btw...for your offer did they ask for the A* in a specific subject?

No, it was just "A*AA excluding Chemistry and General Studies", so for me it's Maths, Fmaths, and Physics in any order. What about you?

I also love mechanics! At the Open Day, the Cambridge admission tutor said that lots of students change their mind about which specialization they want to follow, I am wondering whether I would change mine! (ouch, sounds like I am assuming that I already got in!)
No, it was just "A*AA excluding Chemistry and General Studies", so for me it's Maths, Fmaths, and Physics in any order. What about you?

I also love mechanics! At the Open Day, the Cambridge admission tutor said that lots of students change their mind about which specialization they want to follow, I am wondering whether I would change mine! (ouch, sounds like I am assuming that I already got in!)

I have to get an A* in further maths :frown: :frown: So the chances of me getting in are quite slim :/ But I'm sure you'll make your offer :wink:

I am keeping an open mind but I am fairly sure i'll go for mech eng in the end anyways :biggrin:
I live with a female Meng Mechanical Engineer. A total geeks pin up I have to say
I have to get an A* in further maths :frown: :frown: So the chances of me getting in are quite slim :/ But I'm sure you'll make your offer :wink:

I am keeping an open mind but I am fairly sure i'll go for mech eng in the end anyways :biggrin:

:console: which modules are you doing for further maths? I really hope that you will make it, if we are doing same modules, we might revise together :wink:

I am also quite sure I will make my offer, I did 7 maths modules last June which includes C1-4, M1-2, FP1, and based on the UMS, it's safe to say that I got the A* in Maths already.
:console: which modules are you doing for further maths? I really hope that you will make it, if we are doing same modules, we might revise together :wink:

I am also quite sure I will make my offer, I did 7 maths modules last June which includes C1-4, M1-2, FP1, and based on the UMS, it's safe to say that I got the A* in Maths already.

I'm doing FP2 FP3 S1 and S2 :smile: FP3 and S2 are tottering along quite nicely so far so hopefully (so long as i concentrate in my revision! :wink: )... :crossedf: I've done exactly the same modules as you so far + D1, and if my offer was A* in maths i would be so there already :P Like you!

Saw you've done Step :s-smilie: You are obviously a genius at maths so revising together might be good :biggrin:
I'm doing FP2 FP3 S1 and S2 :smile: FP3 and S2 are tottering along quite nicely so far so hopefully (so long as i concentrate in my revision! :wink: )... :crossedf: I've done exactly the same modules as you so far + D1, and if my offer was A* in maths i would be so there already :P Like you!

Saw you've done Step :s-smilie: You are obviously a genius at maths so revising together might be good :biggrin:

I did S1, S2, D1 this Jan already, M3 next week. Our class has just finished FP2, and has started FP3 and M4, after that we will do M5

I love maths, I am doing this BMO question, it's so hard! Are you good at geometry?
I did S1, S2, D1 this Jan already, M3 next week. Our class has just finished FP2, and has started FP3 and M4, after that we will do M5

I love maths, I am doing this BMO question, it's so hard! Are you good at geometry?

I've got S1 this week and am doing M3 in June. Geometry is good :biggrin: Sorry for the late reply! Have you already done the question?
I like Maths but there comes a point where pure maths just boggles me in its apparent uselessness :smile: On the other hand I love physics!!
I've got S1 this week and am doing M3 in June. Geometry is good :biggrin: Sorry for the late reply! Have you already done the question?
I like Maths but there comes a point where pure maths just boggles me in its apparent uselessness :smile: On the other hand I love physics!!

I guess we are on different exam boards for Maths. I am on edexcel.

There is no need to say sorry, I suppose lots of people have exams now (I myself have chem4 this Wednesday, phy4 this Thursday and M3 this Friday)

I have done that geometry question already. It's because I have the BMO round 2 this Thursday, and I want to prepare for it. I am so excited about it! Mainly because I didn't expect myself to get into round 2 :biggrin:

You seem to love geometry, that's great, coz I love it too! I also enjoy physics. Pure Maths is also great. In Maths, for me Stats is the most boring thing ever (except some of probability is not that bad), Decision Maths does not look like Maths but it can be fun sometimes :biggrin:
I guess we are on different exam boards for Maths. I am on edexcel.

There is no need to say sorry, I suppose lots of people have exams now (I myself have chem4 this Wednesday, phy4 this Thursday and M3 this Friday)

I have done that geometry question already. It's because I have the BMO round 2 this Thursday, and I want to prepare for it. I am so excited about it! Mainly because I didn't expect myself to get into round 2 :biggrin:

You seem to love geometry, that's great, coz I love it too! I also enjoy physics. Pure Maths is also great. In Maths, for me Stats is the most boring thing ever (except some of probability is not that bad), Decision Maths does not look like Maths but it can be fun sometimes :biggrin:

I am doing OCR (not MEI) Maths!!

Good luck for all yourexams this week - I have S1 on Wednesday and Phy4 on Thursday.

I don't like stats at all - not looking forward to S1- though S2 looks a bit better.:smile:
All the best for the BMO. I got into the 2nd round a couple of years ago but I didn't enjoy the experience as I was the only one ever to have done this in my school and it was a bit embarassing. Also having to sit the exam on my own wasn't much fun. I have worked very hard NOT to repeat the experience so was pleased with my silver this year. I'm sure you wil ace it.:goodluck:

Quick Reply

Latest