The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by tim657
Hey, i have an offer from trinity for medicine.

And yeah, 1992 was a good year to be born in.

and 1993 :wink: Don't forget us young'uns!
Reply 661
Original post by contractlaw
Im not being funny- but the IB offers im seeing on here are so high!!

Mine for Law was 36 with 776, and my firends got like 37 with 777 for PPE at HL- but they are now asking people for 39?? wtf?

How many years ago was that?
Am I the only one already compiling a mental packing list? I keep thinking "oh i'll totally need one of those next year" (fancy dress, hot water bottles, bottle openers...). I reckon I have about 3 car-fuls so far...
Original post by Lumi Nous
Am I the only one already compiling a mental packing list? I keep thinking "oh i'll totally need one of those next year" (fancy dress, hot water bottles, bottle openers...). I reckon I have about 3 car-fuls so far...

You're certainely not the only one :wink: my mum is getting super excited and started to buy me all kind of stuff, like suitcases, electric kettle <- very useful (I got ill during my interview periode and the tea saved me :tongue:)
fancy dress.. yeah fancy dress :smile: I should definitely get some of those :smile: and I figured some white and black clothes.. like blouses, skirts, black heels and stuff.. for formal hall etc.
Original post by Anon1993

you're making me feel ancient.
Reply 665

I got bought a microwaveable hot water bottle for Christmas, it's awesome! :smile:
But if my mum mentions bedding one more time - duvet covers, pillows, cushions, the lot - I will scream :tongue:
I posted this on another thread a few minutes ago (will turn up in my inventory of posts in about a half hour I'd suppose), but anyway, there's something I thought I should tell you lot as it might interest you. A girl in my Spanish class who is insanely good at English and applied for English (not going to tell at which college because she could end up reading this very page :wink:) had the same process as everyone else, got the AAA offer in the week leading up to Christmas and was, of course, delighted but here comes the interesting part. They posted a letter to the head of the English department at my college on Wednesday and changed the offer to nothing other than an unconditional. She is now free to do however and whatever she likes in all the exams this year. So watch out you guys, although this is exceptionally rare, it could happen to you :smile:

... and yes, I'm very chuffed for her.

(PS. Cambridge is better than Oxford)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Vindaloo!
Can anyone advise me - I was rejected by Oxford post interview and would like to apply again next year. My question is should I apply to the same college which I really liked or a different one? I had two interviews one could not have gone better and the other could not have gone worse - altough I have not got any feedback as yet I feel I know what let me down. I would really like to apply to the same college again but is this stupid would love some advice from anyone who has applied this year for the second time. Thanks

I re-applied to St. Catz (same place as I did last year) this year and got in.

But this isn't particularly useful for a number of reasons.
1. Catz has poor applicants for Maths subjects because they don't ask for Further Maths.
2. I applied for deferred, so they could've liked me the previous year, but not enough to give a deferred place.
3. I have a decent job and plan for my gap year, which wasn't 100% when I applied last year, so that could've swayed them.
4. I applied open last year so never had any college choice until I arrived
Reply 668
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
tuning forks

:yes: Don't know how I'd cope without mine.
Original post by Backslash
Anyone else got an offer from Trinity? :smile:

in a weird twist of events Trinity have only decided to give one offer this year, so it turns out no-one else does, it's just you
:tongue:

And 1991.. :colondollar: My 20th Birthday is in the first few days of freshers.... I'm going to be so wise :rolleyes:

Am I the only one already compiling a mental packing list? I keep thinking &quot;oh i'll totally need one of those next year&quot; (fancy dress, hot water bottles, bottle openers...). I reckon I have about 3 car-fuls so far...

I'm getting bits and bobs at a time cause I figure it'll be a huge (expensive) rush if I try and do it all right before we go :smile: It's going to take me a while to find the perfect duvet cover :tongue: although my mum did text me while I was at work today asking if I needed a duvet - she's more over-excited then I am! :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 671
Original post by freezombie
you're making me feel ancient.

Or maybe you just make me feel young? :tongue:
Reply 672
Original post by SuperPatchKid
And 1991.. :colondollar: My 20th Birthday is in the first few days of freshers.... I'm going to be so wise :rolleyes:

haha just an excuse to party harder :tongue:
Reply 673
Original post by Gallant Megapenthes
I re-applied to St. Catz (same place as I did last year) this year and got in.

But this isn't particularly useful for a number of reasons.
1. Catz has poor applicants for Maths subjects because they don't ask for Further Maths.
2. I applied for deferred, so they could've liked me the previous year, but not enough to give a deferred place.
3. I have a decent job and plan for my gap year, which wasn't 100% when I applied last year, so that could've swayed them.
4. I applied open last year so never had any college choice until I arrived

No college has Further Maths as a requirement - the requirements for maths are common across all colleges.
Original post by RichE

Original post by RichE
No college has Further Maths as a requirement - the requirements for maths are common across all colleges.

While it is true that, unlike for some course at The Other Place™, the requirements are the same across all colleges, I could imagine that the sentence "We are happy to consider applicants who have not taken Further Mathematics at A-level." on the St. Catz website may attract more applicants sans Further Maths
My offer is 39 with 7 in HL Economics. I think its quite reasonable compared to the Cambridge IB offers I saw which included an offer asking for a flat 45.
Reply 676
Original post by SuperPatchKid

I'm 20 before we start :colonhash:
I imagine I'll be sitting under a shady tree, wearing airy robes and my long, grey hair will flow in the summer breeze. Students will come to me for advice on a range of issues, and I will answer only with cryptic riddles.

That's how it works right?

Anyway, has anyone recieved anything from their college acknowledging their acceptance of the offer at all?
I firmed Unconditionally in the first week of January but haven't received anything.
Original post by Mann18

Original post by Mann18
I imagine I'll be sitting under a shady tree, wearing airy robes and my long, grey hair will flow in the summer breeze. Students will come to me for advice on a range of issues, and I will answer only with cryptic riddles.

Ah yes. Airy robes belong on the mental packing list.
Original post by Mann18

That's how it works right?

Anyway, has anyone recieved anything from their college acknowledging their acceptance of the offer at all?
I firmed Unconditionally in the first week of January but haven't received anything.

I am going to be a fairly old one, I'm 20 in December.
Can I join you and be like a disciple and spread your cryptic riddles?

I have accepted mine, I think Catz said they give more information in the summer or something... it said something in the offer letter
Reply 679
Original post by Gallant Megapenthes
I am going to be a fairly old one, I'm 20 in December.
Can I join you and be like a disciple and spread your cryptic riddles?

I have accepted mine, I think Catz said they give more information in the summer or something... it said something in the offer letter

Of course you may, I'm thinking of starting a franchise anyway.
"The solitary stick snaps easily, the bundle, not quite so."

My offer letter just says I'll receive more information "in due course." I assume that means in the Summer now.

Original post by freezombie
Ah yes. Airy robes belong on the mental packing list.

I hope you don't mean mental as in insane :colonhash:
But yes, it would be wise to begin packing mentally as soon as possible, or as I would say in October:

"The prepared honey bee generates the sweetest nectar."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending