The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mad Vlad
*puckers*

That's just an outrageous pricepoint. :no:

I'd love a Honeycomb tablet, but that's just far too much. Let's see what comes out at WMC...
****. I forgot to write down all the apps I had installed :pinch:

Lesson learned the very hard way... :erm:
Ah, gutted!
Original post by cassiejohnson
Does anyone know if the Motorola Defy is any good? It's Android and 'life proof' (semi-rugged)?

Sounds like a good phone, but I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience of it?

The popular opinion on my home forum is that the defy is an excellent device. it's rather chunky owing to it's environmental protection, but it gets excellent battery life and can be overclocked to (apparently) over 1500MHz, making it extremely nippy.

additionally, apparently the phone's waterproofing is so good that it works underwater! :eek: don't try this!
Original post by Cypher_Aod
The popular opinion on my home forum is that the defy is an excellent device. it's rather chunky owing to it's environmental protection, but it gets excellent battery life and can be overclocked to (apparently) over 1500MHz, making it extremely nippy.

additionally, apparently the phone's waterproofing is so good that it works underwater! :eek: don't try this!

I'm a user for the defy as well - if I'm not mistaken most of those who overclock only do so until about 1100, or at the very most 1300 to maintain stability.

I suppose it would work underwater but I've also heard of someone testing out its "underwater capabilities" but didn't have one of the seals plugged right - ruining his phone. Just something to keep in mind :tongue:

Also, the touchscreen won't work underwater, just to note :biggrin:

With that said I think it has really good bang for buck though :wink:
Reply 3445
Gah... Been waiting three months for Three to issue the upgrade android 2.2 for us HTC wildfire users....

Really quite frustrating since 2.1 feels quite buggy
I have both an android phone and a tablet and love the os. The only thing I have a slight complaint about is the firmware version on my tablet has a delightful problem where is loses the ability to download and install apps from the market after 2/3 days. They are however working on fixing this issue.
Original post by katephillips
I have both an android phone and a tablet and love the os. The only thing I have a slight complaint about is the firmware version on my tablet has a delightful problem where is loses the ability to download and install apps from the market after 2/3 days. They are however working on fixing this issue.

which tablet? :smile:
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
which tablet? :smile:

It's the Scroll by Storage Options. I bought it for myself as an after Christmas present. :smile:
Playbook from blackberry any good?
Reply 3450

For next time :tongue:

http://orangesanfrancisco.co.uk/android/how-to-backup-and-restore-the-orange-san-francisco-zte-blade/
Reply 3451
Uh oh, doesn't sound too good. :frown:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/oops-android-contains-directly-copied-java-code-strengthening/

In simple terms? Google copied Oracle's Java code, pasted in a new license, and shipped it.

The news poster Nilay Patel is a lawyer so he knows what he's on about.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RedGuy

Original post by RedGuy

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/oops-android-contains-directly-copied-java-code-strengthening/

Huh whats this about?
Original post by mikeyd85

Original post by mikeyd85
Motorola Xoom rumoured to be £700... :eek:

Gutting but at least next time you'll have titanium backup
Original post by RedGuy

That's going to make the lawsuit interesting but I'm not going to read 47 pages :wink:
Original post by blueray

It's not Android :colonhash:

Not saying I wouldn't accept if it was a gift like.
Original post by blueray

Original post by blueray

From what I've heard on the engadget podcast, you need a blackberry for it to work properly but as it isn't out yet I don't want to comment much more so will leave it at that for now
Reply 3456
Original post by blueray
Huh whats this about?

Google stole code from Oracle and claimed it as their own. Oracle sued. If Oracle win the case, and they probably will, Google will have to pay a **** load of money to Oracle and it may bring a production halt to Android phones temporarily.

And then Oracle might go after companies who use Android, like HTC, Samsung, Motorola etc.
Reply 3457
Original post by G8D
It wouldn't really stop Android phones at all. Android is open source and already in the hands of the manufacturers.

Also, would the fact that Google don't actually sell Android not greatly reduced the amount of damages available to Oracle?

Temporarily, it can halt production.

No. Every Google product is free only because they make money from advertising. Just imagine the amount they have made from advertising on Android handsets. If anything, this will increase Oracle's chance of winning their case.
Reply 3458
Original post by G8D
Is there published statistics on Google's ad revenue and, more importantly, does it distinguish between Android/other? It could simply be "mobile" income. Also, advertising isn't build into Android. Yes Google Ads and AdMob are WITHIN Market apps, but that is developers putting it into Android, not Google themselves.

90% of ALL Google's profit is from AdSense/AdWords. 200,00 Android phones are sold every single day and there are 200,000 apps - lets say at least 25% of them have some form of Ads. Do the maths.

Also Google make ad revenue from mobile ads on the Google mobile site, but these service any device that isn't a desktop.

Think about how many people would have access to mobile sites if it wasn't for Android. Not everyone wants to spend £500+ for an iPhone. Google realised this, found a way to make profit from it and hello Android. I remember reading on Engadget just the other month, Android has the biggest share in smartphones in the US. They overtook Apple some time last year and have now overtaken BlackBerry.

I'm not saying money from ads on Android is irrelevant, but I'd hope it wasn't as relevant as you seem to think it could be.

Google only sells one product, and that is AdWords. Android is simply another way to get AdWords and AdSense onto devices. Do you really think Google are developing Android for free and for the fun of it? Come on. I love Google but they are clearly in the wrong here.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3459
Original post by G8D
I don't really think that Google will take much of a dent even if Oracle win this. Android is a very small source of income for Google, relatively, so they wouldn't get much in damages compared to the income that goes to Google from other sectors.

That's true, but my original point was it doesn't make a difference when it comes to Oracle's favour.

Anyway, I just found this article and it turns out Android isn't actually copying code from Oracle. Engadget is just up to crap journalism again.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/oops-no-copied-java-code-or-weapons-of-mass-destruction-found-in-android/2162

But the same lawsuit still stands, Google copied technology from Oracle and are profiting from it, without giving Oracle a piece of the cake.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending