The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel- Unit 3 Contested Planet Pre-release

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolly21
Discuss you definetly don't need a conclusion. BUT, analyse you might need one.. depends what the rest of the question is..i.e. analyse the relative importance, you would need a conclusion. A question will sound whether there needs to be some concluding statement (:

and you are very, very welcome. Glad I could be of help! Good luck with the exam! (:

:smile: I get it now!.

It is really annoying when my teachers basically says I need conclusion for every question. I dont even write conclusion for question start with 'explain' but when i do that she is like 'you need a conclusion'.

I feel better about this exam now. Conclusion is the worst part, it is annoying when the question does not actually ask us to conclude e.g. choose one choice over another, but I have to do it even though I don't even know what to conclude. It actually waste the time. I got really bad marks in the mock because of that.

Thank you again. :smile:
Reply 41
Just had our last lesson on this before the exam...terrified!! Never done anything like this before so don't know what to expect and therefore what to learn :frown:
do we have to say where we got additional information from?

like websites/books etc,where facts/figures have come from
Reply 43
Original post by Harshilmistry

Not that I am aware of. It doesn't say anything about doing so in the mark scheme. I think we can quote websites though, like the ones at the back of the pre-release.
Reply 44
I'm doing revision for this at the minute and some of the things everyone has said is really helpful! Thanks :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by OhNo_23
Not that I am aware of. It doesn't say anything about doing so in the mark scheme. I think we can quote websites though, like the ones at the back of the pre-release.

Original post by Harshilmistry

My teachers have said that for a few things particularly in the synoptic section it is beneficial to give quotes or information from sources.. so you could just say something like The US Department of Energy....etc.
I won't really be doing that for Section A though, don't think that that's as important.
Its not vital, but i think it 'looks good' (:
Hey can anyone help me define a choke point??
Original post by gadget-Geek

Well, I dont have a proper definition for it. But I think it is where the shipping must pass. In this context, it is where energy is transferred to different places. :smile: The relavant key word is 'energy pathway' :smile:
Original post by gadget-Geek

'Choke points' are the points at which shipping must pass - this is where piracy can easily occur which affects the energy transferral to Certain places in North America and can contribute to their energy crisis.
how many questions do we have that is to do with the synoptic? I'm confused!
Original post by street.lovin'
Well, I dont have a proper definition for it. But I think it is where the shipping must pass. In this context, it is where energy is transferred to different places. :smile: The relavant key word is 'energy pathway' :smile:

Not quite

Original post by Superstar6318
'Choke points' are the points at which shipping must pass - this is where piracy can easily occur which affects the energy transferral to Certain places in North America and can contribute to their energy crisis.

Yeah this is more like it, example is Panama canal

how many questions do we have that is to do with the synoptic? I'm confused!

Pick 2 questions from the first half, Each question has part A and B
Second half is synoptic, three parts, A,b and C, you have to do them all.
Original post by antipesto93
Not quite

Yeah this is more like it, example is Panama canal

Pick 2 questions from the first half, Each question has part A and B
Second half is synoptic, three parts, A,b and C, you have to do them all.

ah ok thought so - just needed reassuring. I also asked someone who did the exam last year and they said one of the questions on energy will most likely be on the one where there are different peoples opinions.

and btw, do you know how many marks each are for the three energy questions? I know they're all out of 40 but that's all I know.

and yeah whoever doesn't know about where the choke points are they're dotted out in your pre-release; obviously focus on the Panama Canal as that's the closest to North America. Its in Venezuela if that helps.

right, must actually get down to some revision now....
ah ok thought so - just needed reassuring. I also asked someone who did the exam last year and they said one of the questions on energy will most likely be on the one where there are different peoples opinions.

and btw, do you know how many marks each are for the three energy questions? I know they're all out of 40 but that's all I know.

and yeah whoever doesn't know about where the choke points are they're dotted out in your pre-release; obviously focus on the Panama Canal as that's the closest to North America. Its in Venezuela if that helps.

right, must actually get down to some revision now....

The marks for each question in Section B vary. But they will make a total of 40 marks.

It can be, 10, 12 and 18.... or 10, 14 and 16... Depending on how mean the examiner is, I guess XDD

I am trying to revise, but I cannot concentrate.
Original post by antipesto93
Not quite

Oops, sorry for my mistake. I completely forgot about the piracy. XD
The marks for each question in Section B vary. But they will make a total of 40 marks.

It can be, 10, 12 and 18.... or 10, 14 and 16... Depending on how mean the examiner is, I guess XDD

I am trying to revise, but I cannot concentrate.

I hate this exam so much! I should have started revision earlier!
Atm I'm doing an essay 'To what extent are unconventional fossil fuel resources sustainable in North America?'

how on earth do I incorporate water, development gap, tech fix and other stuff into my answer?
Reply 55
Atm I'm doing an essay 'To what extent are unconventional fossil fuel resources sustainable in North America?'

how on earth do I incorporate water, development gap, tech fix and other stuff into my answer?

Water is pretty simple to incorporate. In situ extraction of unconventional oil deposits (e.g. in the Alberta tar sands and US oil shale) is an extremely water intensive process and can lead to pollution of water tables as polluted water is very hard to contain. Development not so sure. You could make a point about the potential for technology to provide truly sustainable energy pathways for North America e.g. the potential for nuclear fusion development, but relating to unconventionals basically talk about the potential for technological developments to minimise negative environmental impacts of extraction e.g. effective containment of polluted water...

Can anyone say how well we need to know the quotes at the back? I can't see them being at all useful in the exam. I'm massively stressed out now. I pretty much like section b but it's section A I'm nervous about... any question predictions for biodiversity/development/superpowers???

Yeah, I know what you mean. I am in exactly the same situation.

Unconventional is basically nuclear power and wind farm , right? This question is tough. XD

Well, for technological fix. You can probably say that the increase in technological advances will help North America to develop the technology and reduce the technical difficulties of unconventional sources. This will help it to support the demand in the future. North America is rich so I am pretty sure they are capable of doing that.

For development gap, maybe mention that Mexico is a developing country. While USA and Canada are able to invest in techonology, Mexico might not be able to. And this might cause development gap in the region?

For biodiversity, you can talk a lot about it. Unconventional sources consumes lots of land. Nuclear power and wind farm are the examples. Land clearance may destroy the wildlife habitats/biodiversity.

For water, I do not know. :P

You can also talk about the American people's views. Use the source from the last page of the pre release.

I really should revise now. :P
Original post by a.nk

Can anyone say how well we need to know the quotes at the back? I can't see them being at all useful in the exam. I'm massively stressed out now. I pretty much like section b but it's section A I'm nervous about... any question predictions for biodiversity/development/superpowers???

So unconventional is fossil fuel?

I though it was nuclear power and that? I look on internet and Yahoo asnwer says it is nuclear power and wind farm...

I am confused!!

Well, the quotes at the back will become useful you discuss the different views of people. :P Probably when you talk about the social, economic and environmental impacts of certain energy sources. :s-smilie:
So unconventional is fossil fuel?

I though it was nuclear power and that? I look on internet and Yahoo asnwer says it is nuclear power and wind farm...

I am confused!!

Well, the quotes at the back will become useful you discuss the different views of people. :P Probably when you talk about the social, economic and environmental impacts of certain energy sources. :s-smilie:

I feel consoled at the fact other people are going through my stresses. I really should have revised earlier though. I reckon I'll resit :frown:

I think unconventional fossil fuels are basically the ones that aren't normally used....the ones in the pre release which are biofuels, tar sands, oil shales and deep water or whatever
I feel consoled at the fact other people are going through my stresses. I really should have revised earlier though. I reckon I'll resit :frown:

I think unconventional fossil fuels are basically the ones that aren't normally used....the ones in the pre release which are biofuels, tar sands, oil shales and deep water or whatever

I misread your question! :P It is 'unconventional fossil fuel' and I thought it said 'unconventional energy sources'

Oh my god, I would have got 0/15 mark if it was the exam!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending