The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Durham rejection received today; never ideal. For anyone who wants to know I was predicted A* A* A (including Law) at A2, got AAAC at AS and AABBCFUUDDE at GCSE, so it's not really much of a surprise that I've been rejected. Oh, I was applying with deferred entry too, which Durham aren't keen on. Though it's nice to finally have a reply, after exactly 100 days of waiting!
Original post by High As A Kite
Where did you apply?

Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Reading, Warwick.

Who's your first choice? It must be a good feeling when you couldn't care less what your last choice thinks of you :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Potiron
Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Reading, Warwick.

Who's your first choice? It's a good feeling when you couldn't care less what your last choice thinks of you :tongue:

oooh the BIG question! :eek: At the moment I have no idea! :s-smilie:
It's a messy situation, i'll send you a PM to explain... Perhaps you could offer advice?

Top choices there by the way! I think i sense your firm choice!
(edited 13 years ago)
oooh the BIG question! :eek: At the moment I have no idea! :s-smilie:
It's a messy situation, i'll send you a PM to explain... Perhaps you could offer advice?

Top choices there by the way! I think i sense your firm choice!

You're more than welcome to PM me if you like, and I will try to help you as best I can.

No actually, I keep changing my mind about which one I like most :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Potiron
You're more than welcome to PM me if you like, and I will try to help you as best I can.

No actually, I keep changing my mind about which one I like most :tongue:

damn! you quoted me before I noticed and edited the error in my last post!

If you don't firm Warwick, can you put my name on the decision letter? :wink: (when you get it!)

ahh, it corrected itself after a while
(edited 13 years ago)
damn! you quoted me before I noticed and edited the error in my last post!

If you don't firm Warwick, can you put my name on the decision letter? :wink: (when you get it!)

Aha, that I'll even get an offer is a rather big assumption to make. I will see what I can do :tongue:

Edit: what error? :wink:
Original post by sunnykahlon
notts don't half take their bloody time...please tell me not many people have offers from them yet?

Original post by smallfish
I'm waiting too... its my first choice as well :frown:

Still waiting here, although according to their website they wait for all their appplicants before responding- so expect a reply from now onwards.

Just as a side point I've applied at Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, York and Bangor.
Predicted straight A's and I've only heard back from Bangor, so it's not looking promising. :frown:
Reply 1627
Original post by TimmonaPortella
The person who said UCL>Oxford (note, even that person didn't have the audacity to say UCL>Cambridge) was clearly just quoting the QS world uni rankings. I was going to reply, but didn't think it was worth it.

On the work ex, this summer I plan to start every letter/ phone call with 'hi, I'm a cambridge offer holder looking for..' :sexface:
That'll do it :tongue:

You might be surprised :colonhash:
If job offers are anything to go by anyway.
I got my job before I got into Oxford, but a few places I applied emailed me asking what my intentions were this year after I already had my job, I thought "No harm in seeing what happens."
What happened was, I said "I hold an Unconditional offer for Jurisprudence (Law) at Oxford, so I'll be matriculating there in October 2011."
1 day later: "We are sorry, you have not been successful." Pfft.

Also, I knew they were referring to the QS rankings, but I still felt I had to defend my own university, whilst dragging Cambridge in there so I didn't accidentally say "Oxford is better than anywhere..." and be instantly struck down by yourself and the other Cambridge lawyers.

Original post by adam0311
I agree brah.

You aren't off base at all. Oxbridge is one of the best for common law jurisdictions in general. If you were to just measure in research output, specifically at law schools, only the T6 in the US could match.

Thanks for the back up, I can't have people slander Oxford, the place is tight.
T6= top 6?
Who would those be in your opinion? I've seen incredibly varied tables for the top US Law schools, with Harvard being 3rd in some (NYU top) and Yale being 9th in some, when instinctively, I'd place those two at 1 and 2, with Columbia at 3.
Original post by danielsmith
Still waiting here, although according to their website they wait for all their appplicants before responding- so expect a reply from now onwards.

Just as a side point I've applied at Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, York and Bangor.
Predicted straight A's and I've only heard back from Bangor, so it's not looking promising. :frown:

finally someone else who applied to bangor! i was begining to think it was just me! did you take the entrance scholarship exam?

good luck on your other choices! i'm still waiting on durham too, fingers crossed!
Original post by Mann18
I got my job before I got into Oxford, but a few places I applied emailed me asking what my intentions were this year after I already had my job, I thought "No harm in seeing what happens."
What happened was, I said "I hold an Unconditional offer for Jurisprudence (Law) at Oxford, so I'll be matriculating there in October 2011."

Also, I knew they were referring to the QS rankings, but I still felt I had to defend my own university, whilst dragging Cambridge in there so I didn't accidentally say "Oxford is better than anywhere..." and be instantly struck down by yourself and the other Cambridge lawyers.

I jest brah. Cool it :pierre:
You're not usually one to shy away from the inter uni rivalry snide comments!

On the work ex, for actual jobs they won't want to hire someone who will be leaving probably (there's also a chance they knew Oxford hadn't given out offers at that time? I know it's not terribly likely). For work ex, I think they will give less of a crap, because you're only going for a short amount of time. Just a guess though, I've been successful at 99/100 places I've asked for work ex, so I'm hardly an authority.
Reply 1630
Original post by adam0311
LSE would be a good pick then. That's why I picked it. Originally my plans were to come back to the US and get a JD, but I have no interest in practicing in the US now.

Now I'm pretty set on London, but also entertaining the possibility of Singapore and the offshore MC.

Hey so are you going to the LSE or did you go there?????? If yes then how is it?????????????
Reply 1631
Original post by mishieru07
Cheer up, you have LSE, which is just as good, if not better than KCL for Law! :smile:

Your LNAT could be good - they might have rejected you on other grounds! They didn't state a reason for me but I'm pretty sure it's not the LNAT because I have an offer from UCL, which is supposedly quite the LNAT Nazi.

I thought LSE = No social life has less to do with its location in London and more the fact that the students tend to work very hard, creating a mugger culture with little time for socializing? Of course, it's always up to the individual and it's definitely possible to have a great social life wherever you go!

Thanks for comforting me :smile:
Congrats on your offer from UCL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want one from UCL too but just when LSE boosted my confidence, KCL killed half of it. Well Im thanking LSE for giving me an offer before I got rejected from anywhere else.
Original post by danielsmith

I know many applicants in my school (admittedly not for Law) that have received offers from Nottingham... some well before Christmas.

I'm in the same situation, predicted 3A's and applied to Nottingham, UCL, Bristol, Sussex and Warwick.... only heard from Sussex really. Though I guess I would rather wait than hear from them with a rejection. :redface:
Reply 1633
Original post by Idealine
Durham rejection received today; never ideal. For anyone who wants to know I was predicted A* A* A (including Law) at A2, got AAAC at AS and AABBCFUUDDE at GCSE, so it's not really much of a surprise that I've been rejected. Oh, I was applying with deferred entry too, which Durham aren't keen on. Though it's nice to finally have a reply, after exactly 100 days of waiting!

Durham are too up their own backside for their own good in my opinion. Phoned them up to check that their UCAS listed entrance requirements weren't a mistake and was told that they do expect 3 A's at Advanced Higher. Cue me asking the tutor if she was being serious and was she aware of the standard that Advanced Highers were. Obviously don't know what they're talking about and I'm expecting a rejection soon as my tracker hasn't moved from department. From there, they can expect a very sharp email to their admissions department.
Reply 1634
Really am rather worried about Surrey as a backup. All my other unis are AAA I kind of really need this offer D:
I reckon we should give Nottingham, SOAS a bit more time than 6 days after the deadline hahah :smile:
Reply 1635
I jest brah. Cool it :pierre:
You're not usually one to shy away from the inter uni rivalry snide comments!

On the work ex, for actual jobs they won't want to hire someone who will be leaving probably (there's also a chance they knew Oxford hadn't given out offers at that time? I know it's not terribly likely). For work ex, I think they will give less of a crap, because you're only going for a short amount of time. Just a guess though, I've been successful at 99/100 places I've asked for work ex, so I'm hardly an authority.

:p: I love a good slandering of places I know are actually brilliant. E.g:

"My favourite joke:

"

But yeah, I had thought perhaps you were being serious :colondollar:

Hmm, when you throw around such impressive work experience statistics, I can't help but feel you are an authority. (Side note, they couldn't have known, and it was actually for a 6 month contract for someone on maternity leave, so it wasn't because I was going to leave I don't think, I guess they wanted someone who wasn't so sure what they wanted to do incase they needed them to stay though.)

Well, I've fired off a couple of emails asking for some work experience at barrister's chambers. (Criminal ones :sexface: ) Now we play the waiting game.
Reply 1636
Original post by EDW1N
Durham are too up their own backside for their own good in my opinion. Phoned them up to check that their UCAS listed entrance requirements weren't a mistake and was told that they do expect 3 A's at Advanced Higher. Cue me asking the tutor if she was being serious and was she aware of the standard that Advanced Highers were. Obviously don't know what they're talking about and I'm expecting a rejection soon as my tracker hasn't moved from department. From there, they can expect a very sharp email to their admissions department.

:rofl:

"Are you even aware of the standard that Advanced Highers are?!"

"Yes."

"Pfft."

"Sorry, what's your UCAS ID number?"

"Recites it."

"Thanks, we just made the sorting pile a little lighter."
(Hangs up.)

:rofl: "Up their own backside." Who are you?!
Original post by Mann18
:p: I love a good slandering of places I know are actually brilliant. E.g:

"My favourite joke:

"

But yeah, I had thought perhaps you were being serious :colondollar:

Hmm, when you throw around such impressive work experience statistics, I can't help but feel you are an authority. (Side note, they couldn't have known, and it was actually for a 6 month contract for someone on maternity leave, so it wasn't because I was going to leave I don't think, I guess they wanted someone who wasn't so sure what they wanted to do incase they needed them to stay though.)

Well, I've fired off a couple of emails asking for some work experience at barrister's chambers. (Criminal ones :sexface: ) Now we play the waiting game.

I've just realised, I meant to say I was unsuccessful at 99/100. Lmao, now I totally look like a pompous ass.
Do you think it's wise to start with asking for work ex now for summer? I might fire some off.

edit: Some EMAILS off. :pierre:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1638
I've just realised, I meant to say I was unsuccessful at 99/100. Lmao, now I totally look like a pompous ass.
Do you think it's wise to start with asking for work ex now for summer? I might fire some off.

:rofl: I had thought "Damn, he's pretty much called me out right in front of everybody." But nah, we cool.

And I wouldn't say it could be anything but advantageous. They'll probably assign work experience on a first come first served basis, rather than make people apply competitively.

And even if they did the latter, early future Cambridge student surely beats late, future Cambridge student?

In short, I would (and have.) :p:
Original post by Mann18

Thanks for the back up, I can't have people slander Oxford, the place is tight.
T6= top 6?
Who would those be in your opinion? I've seen incredibly varied tables for the top US Law schools, with Harvard being 3rd in some (NYU top) and Yale being 9th in some, when instinctively, I'd place those two at 1 and 2, with Columbia at 3.

Its important to note for US law schools that they are completely separate from the uni as a whole. For example, NYU isn't ranked high for UG, but for LS, it's ranked in the T10. Now that I cleared that up so other people reading this won't go into a frenzy, here's how it works...

The top law schools in the US are usually called the T14 (top 14). Most people don't focus on the specific ranking (i.e whether Cornell is number 9 or 10). Rather its done by grouping. HYS would be the top 3. Then comes CCN (Chicago, Columbia and NYU). Next is MVP (UMich, Virginia, Penn). Northwestern is in between CCN and MVP. Cornell, Georgetown, Berkeley, and Duke makeup the last bit. These 4 are rarely grouped, however.

Yale is accepted as the number one law school in the country, regardless of the yearly changes in newspaper rankings. Havard is second. Stanford is number three. This tends to be accepted as fact.

For the next tier. It ranges. Most people view it as Columbia->NYU->Chi. But its now becoming Columbia=NYU->Chi.

Next tier--this is the most debated. My personal view is, M=V=P. Although, I would buy the argument P->M->V

Comments on the ungrouped--Georgetown for law school is not nearly as good as it is UG. It has been having a ton of trouble placing kids. Cornell is ehh. The problem is NYU and Columbia will trump the Cornell kids everytime...so essentially Cornell is out-marketed. Duke--great if you want to stay in the south. Berkeley--similar situation to Cornell....UCLA and SLS often places better in LA law. Northwestern, similar situation to Cornell...they get out-marketed by the Chi kids.

Original post by qcdang
Hey so are you going to the LSE or did you go there?????? If yes then how is it?????????????

Oh no! I'm just going to be starting uni.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending