The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by watagwan
What!
Your grades and subjects are perfect! I have no hope in comparison :frown:

Where else have you applied?

Well there are other factors such as Personal Statement and being good at Maths. I got a B at AS and A at GCSE. I am doing Further Maths to AS and got predicted a B in that subject.

Whatever happens is for the best, that's what I think.
Have applied to Oxford (rejected) Warwick (econ) and LSE (Econ and Econ Hist)
GCSE: 4A*s 7As.
AS: AAAAA Economics, Business Studies, Maths, Computing, General Studies.
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* Economics, Maths, Computing, General Studies.

Applied to:
LSE (Economics): Acknowledged
Warwick: Acknowledged
Durham: Acknowledged
Nottingham: Acknowledged
St. Andrews: Rejected

I understand I may have aimed way too high. Expecting rejections from LSE and Warwick as well, just really hoping for an offer from Durham or Nottingham. Getting a little bit nervous now.
Original post by tijuthomas
GCSE: 4A*s 7As.
AS: AAAAA Economics, Business Studies, Maths, Computing, General Studies.
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* Economics, Maths, Computing, General Studies.

Applied to:
LSE (Economics): Acknowledged
Warwick: Acknowledged
Durham: Acknowledged
Nottingham: Acknowledged
St. Andrews: Rejected

I understand I may have aimed way too high. Expecting rejections from LSE and Warwick as well, just really hoping for an offer from Durham or Nottingham. Getting a little bit nervous now.

Why would you think that, I understand that LSE is a lottery but you will defo get an offer from one of these Uni's. You have a prediction of an A* in Maths and Economics so you will do very well. Look at me above, I have aimed for the same university with a bad grade in Maths which for whatever reason is big deciding factor.
Am surprised St Andrews rejected you, did they give you a reason
Original post by therockandsock
Why would you think that, I understand that LSE is a lottery but you will defo get an offer from one of these Uni's. You have a prediction of an A* in Maths and Economics so you will do very well. Look at me above, I have aimed for the same university with a bad grade in Maths which for whatever reason is big deciding factor.
Am surprised St Andrews rejected you, did they give you a reason

"Your application has been unsuccessful. Unfortunately you were in competition with applicants who were stronger academically. Our asking rates are high, but every year the proportion of applicants already holding, or predicted to obtain grades higher than our asking rates increases. As a result this means some highly qualified candidates have not been offered admission to the University as we simply do not have enough places."

Never really expected to get in to be fair, especially as I don't live in Scotland.
Original post by tijuthomas
"Your application has been unsuccessful. Unfortunately you were in competition with applicants who were stronger academically. Our asking rates are high, but every year the proportion of applicants already holding, or predicted to obtain grades higher than our asking rates increases. As a result this means some highly qualified candidates have not been offered admission to the University as we simply do not have enough places."

Never really expected to get in to be fair, especially as I don't live in Scotland.

Wow, I do not see many people applying to St Andrews from this country, I know it is a very good university it is just that people do not want to move all the way there. Therefore I am surprised that given your grades you have not been given a place. Sometimes uni's do not give someone a place if they know that the applicant is likely to get a better offer therefore will not waste one on you.

You should at least get Durham, and have a good chance for the others. Like I said LSE is a bit of a lottery but you will definately not get all rejections.
Original post by xhorseyhanx
Just recieved a rejection from Bristol :frown:

I think that you have been rejected because they know your gonna get a better offer and will therefore not waste a rejection on you. I remember you saying you have similar AS' s to me and you got all A's in them so do not worry

I have also got a rejection from Bristol which was my 5th choice and at first thought that im getting rejected everywhere now. But take positives from it
Original post by Superimpose
i'm currently very nervous since i have pretty much equal academics to you and you were rejected from both Birmingham and Bath (then again an offer from Bristol? interesting how offers work out). i have applied to all 3 of those universities and would love to go to Bristol. i have no offers so far but to be honest, i am fairly surprised at no rejections either - though i'm sure this is just because my application was sent fairly late (after christmas) so they haven't considered it yet. i sort of wish they'd just either reject me or accept me because this wait/staring at track is painstakingly difficult and fast becoming unhealthy. x_x

Honestly, I wouldn't worry. People with lower grades than me managed to get in to Birmingham, my Personal Statement wasn't bad but I think they found something they didn't like. Possibly because their course is run by their business school, and my statement was focused on globalisation etc. Bath, well I've mentioned they prefer people with 3 A's at AS as they said on the open day, but if you haven't been rejected yet then I wouldn't worry, did you recieve the e-mail saying to wait after the deadline?.

Either way you didn't send yours off very long ago, and all three are very competitive universities :smile: And don't worry about the wait, I waited two months, had people with much lower grades hear back from my insurance choice a month before me, and my first response was a rejection, so honestly there's nothing to worry about yet! Which other two unis did you apply to? Good luck!

Original post by roger1234
I just got rejected from Bristol so you were spot on :biggrin:

Ahh no, I feel like I've jynxed it now. Sorry :/ don't worry. Atleast you have your Exeter offer eh :wink:
Original post by thesnowman

Ahh no, I feel like I've jynxed it now. Sorry :/ don't worry. Atleast you have your Exeter offer eh :wink:

No worries :wink: Having an offer from Exeter is all I wanted so I couldn't be happier really.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1108
GCSE's A* Maths, 10 A's , 1 B but i don't think you could compare properly as i had circumstances in my reference :/

AS : AABB in Maths Geog Economics Physics, dropped physics, predicted A*A*A..

I reckon a big reason i got rejected was not having 3 A's in the subjects i continued.. they said in the June open day that to stand a realistic chance of getting in you need the 3 A's. I applied anyway as my hopeful choice anyway :smile:
Hope that helped

Damn! without 3As at AS looks like ill be rejected by them too!

got 2A* 6A 1B at GCSE (circumstances in my reference aswell)

A A B C - Maths , Econ , Bio , Chem (2 ums off B - not that they care ).

taking through econ maths and bio and predicted A*AA

Still hope with an A in economics and A* prediction lol (not really) haha
Original post by jak67m
Damn! without 3As at AS looks like ill be rejected by them too!

got 2A* 6A 1B at GCSE (circumstances in my reference aswell)

A A B C - Maths , Econ , Bio , Chem (2 ums off B - not that they care ).

taking through econ maths and bio and predicted A*AA

Still hope with an A in economics and A* prediction lol (not really) haha

you never know you could get in :smile: for all I know it may have been something else, just a guess
you never know you could get in :smile: for all I know it may have been something else, just a guess

Are you going to the Surrey open day? Feb 2nd?
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Are you going to the Surrey open day? Feb 2nd?

Yeap! You?
Has anyone got aqa unit 3 business economics exam next week?
Reply 1113
Has anyone heard back from Kent? My application went out on Dec 14th. All I have received so far is an acknowledgement.
Reply 1114
Original post by Red Devil k18

I do.
Original post by rohnmt
Has anyone heard back from Kent? My application went out on Dec 14th. All I have received so far is an acknowledgement.

yer i got an offer, took about 4/5 weeks to come
Reply 1116
Original post by shindaabc
yer i got an offer, took about 4/5 weeks to come

Congrats. I have a offer from Essex and tbh, Kent and Essex are the two I am most interested in.. It's killing me waiting for Kent to get back to me.. :frown:
Reply 1117
Original post by Red Devil k18

I do too. Not looking forward to it
Original post by n_251
I had this last year. Definitely not an interview. It's just an excuse for them to try and sell the Uni/Course to you. And, an excuse for you guys to get loads of free food :p: and have a tour of the Uni.

Also, are we good to go on our own? They don't need parents there do they? :') Please no...
Honestly, I wouldn't worry. People with lower grades than me managed to get in to Birmingham, my Personal Statement wasn't bad but I think they found something they didn't like. Possibly because their course is run by their business school, and my statement was focused on globalisation etc. Bath, well I've mentioned they prefer people with 3 A's at AS as they said on the open day, but if you haven't been rejected yet then I wouldn't worry, did you recieve the e-mail saying to wait after the deadline?.

Either way you didn't send yours off very long ago, and all three are very competitive universities :smile: And don't worry about the wait, I waited two months, had people with much lower grades hear back from my insurance choice a month before me, and my first response was a rejection, so honestly there's nothing to worry about yet! Which other two unis did you apply to? Good luck!

thank you for the encouragement. it's so frustrating to have everything come down to something as simple as one sentence on your personal statement that they dislike. i did receive 3 A's at AS however 1 B - and yeah, you guessed it, in Economics (4 UMS off an A, unlucky but there you go). i haven't received an e-mail from Bath to wait after the deadline, only the acknowledgement e-mails. i have also applied to Warwick (first choice, "dream uni") and Loughborough (fifth choice). i guess all i can do is hope for the best right now. even if i am rejected from 1, i'm unlikely to get rejected by all.

side note: anyone know if Loughborough send out acknowledgement e-mails?