The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
Original post by Potiron
I'm butting in here and it's really none of my business but I would recommend mentioning your Oxbridge offers and plans for the future in your applications for work experience. Something on the lines of "I'm keen to pursue a career in the legal profession and I hold an offer to read Law etc..." Sorry bye.

:p: I can't speak for Timmona, but I'm sure he will, as I do, thank you for your recommendation.

For things like this, I think it really pays to get as many opinions as possible (especially ones that sound good, like yours.)

So, thank you :p:

Anyway, I meant to ask you actually, are you still set on Cardiff?
Original post by adam0311

The BCL at Oxford and LLM at Cambridge would be far more academic than an LLM at a US LS, bar Yale. The LLM's at US schools tend to be just the first year classes (torts, contracts, constitution, criminal, property and civil procedure), since these are the core classes in the US. Of course it depends on the LLM program. For example, some will specialize in international law, banking, etc. I'd like to go for the Cambridge LLM (it looks like they have a new corporate LLM coming out, that looks interesting as well), but will probably apply for 1 or 2 US LLM's in addition. Of course this is 4 years from now lol....

Oh really? I had been considering applying to Harvard for postgrad but was kinda deterred by the all the admissions criteria. Might just end up staying in Cambridge for postgrad then.

How do you know so much btw?!?!

Original post by Mann18
Whilst I understand this, I was not attacking that part of his statement.
I was more attacking the idea that Durham don't know what the hell they're doing.

I have heard AAA in AHs is harder than AAA at A-Level, but bottom line, Universities can set their requirements at what they want. I apologise if my intial statement wasn't very sympathetic, but how... (arrogant?) does one have to be to assume a university has made a mistake with their requirements, and then outright tell them they're wrong when they confirm it?

Yeah, I get where you're coming from.
Reply 1662
Original post by Mann18
Whilst I understand this, I was not attacking that part of his statement.
I was more attacking the idea that Durham don't know what the hell they're doing.

I have heard AAA in AHs is harder than AAA at A-Level, but bottom line, Universities can set their requirements at what they want. I apologise if my intial statement wasn't very sympathetic, but how... (arrogant?) does one have to be to assume a university has made a mistake with their requirements, and then outright tell them they're wrong when they confirm it?

I did so because on top of that I was slightly irritated with the rather arrogant and snotty admissions tutor who had messed me around for twenty minutes on the phone and talked to me as if I was a bit simple (slightly ironic...)
Reply 1663
Original post by EDW1N
Ah, that old chestnut! Put it this way: Durham ask for what, AAA at A2? Then they ask for AAA at Advanced Higher. It doesn't take an Oxonian comedian and genius such as yourself to work out the obvious implication. They're placing them on a similar par which, trust me, they most certainly are not. Do you have to submit a dissertation for each subject at higher? Do your exam boards make the number of candidates attaining A's as rare as possible? Do you really think they're equal? Even Scottish universities have had the brains to publicly acknowledge the difference between A levels and AH's. While your point would have a certain amount of validity if it was a level playing field it clearly isn't one.

Firstly, I'd like to unreservedly apologise for calling you a troll/arrogant. I had incorrectly assumed you were joking, and it wasn't very "welcoming" of me.

On the issue, again, I can understand your anger/frustration, but you cannot really have hoped to tell Durham what to do with regard to Scottish Applicants?
If they ask for AAA, it means they get enough applicants with AAA to be able to ask for it. In any case, if they really are as hard as you suggest, you should be top of the list of people they'll accept with less than the required grades if you drop one.
Reply 1664
Original post by EDW1N
I did so because on top of that I was slightly irritated with the rather arrogant and snotty admissions tutor who had messed me around for twenty minutes on the phone and talked to me as if I was a bit simple (slightly ironic...)

:facepalm2:

Now I'm just a massive, massive douche.

Sorry.
:colondollar:

I can relate to being spoken to like you're an idiot by an admissions tutor :colonhash:
Original post by Mann18
It's fine :p:
I had already drafted a CV for my employment search, so I just attached it to the email (once I'd added the Oxford part.)

After my little speech about why I was applying, I said "I attach a copy of my CV also for your viewing, thank you, Mann18."

If you're asking what one should include in a CV, there are many guides on the internet detailing how to do one (no two agree.) I would check them, but if you're looking for a Mann18 quick How-To: Contact details, brief introduction of your qualities (I mean "Honest, dependable. I'm being serious, a lot of CVs apparently have this,) qualifications/skills, prior jobs/work experience, thank you.

You'll find better ones though :p:

Cheers :smile:
Reply 1666
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Cheers :smile:

It's OK :p:

Let me know how you get on!
Original post by Mann18
:p: I can't speak for Timmona, but I'm sure he will, as I do, thank you for your recommendation.

For things like this, I think it really pays to get as many opinions as possible (especially ones that sound good, like yours.)

So, thank you :p:

Anyway, I meant to ask you actually, are you still set on Cardiff?

Nah, I haven't heard from Cardiff yet, or visited the place. I saw a rugby match at the millenium stadium once, and the docks area's very nice, but I've not seen the university, they were a hasty fifth choice.

I've really only been stuck between Bristol/Warwick/Reading. At the moment I'm leaning towards Bristol but it may change after I've re-visited places and heard from Warwick either way.

Which college at Oxford are you going to?
Reply 1668
Original post by Mann18
Firstly, I'd like to unreservedly apologise for calling you a troll/arrogant. I had incorrectly assumed you were joking, and it wasn't very "welcoming" of me.

On the issue, again, I can understand your anger/frustration, but you cannot really have hoped to tell Durham what to do with regard to Scottish Applicants?
If they ask for AAA, it means they get enough applicants with AAA to be able to ask for it. In any case, if they really are as hard as you suggest, you should be top of the list of people they'll accept with less than the required grades if you drop one.

Thank you, I apologise as well for some of the comments. I've had a pretty crappy week and it's obviously come out in a very heated way which, again, I apologise for.

Yes, I see your point, looking back I don't think it was a comment made to tell them what to do. On reflection I think it was a heat of the moment thing said out of astonishment and, by this point, biwilderment. It's disillusioning to know things seem to be up against you. I hope that is the case but I'm resigned to the fact I'll be rejected because my predicted grades fall one short of their requirements and it's a bit depressing. Anyway we shall see... Nicely argued point, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly at Oxford if you chose to go there. Best of luck!
Reply 1669
Original post by Potiron
Nah, I haven't heard from Cardiff yet, or visited the place. I saw a rugby match at the millenium stadium once, and the docks area's very nice, but I've not seen the university, they were a hasty fifth choice.

I've really only been stuck between Bristol/Warwick/Reading. At the moment I'm leaning towards Bristol but it may change after I've re-visited places and heard from Warwick either way.

Which college at Oxford are you going to?

Meant Reading :facepalm2:
Sure I read that you had really fallen for it and were disregarding Bristol?

Anyway, Bristol is I think, really good both for Law, and as a university. The accomodation there is basically like colleges if you choose it to be, or it can be more of a typical uni accomodation deal which is something I think is quite good, the choice between the two. I have a friend who goes there, she seems to quite like it anyway :p:

St Edmund Hall is the Oxford college that accepted me, not one of the more grand colleges (in fact, it's known for it's informality) but I really liked it when I went to visit.
Reply 1670
Original post by EDW1N
Thank you, I apologise as well for some of the comments. I've had a pretty crappy week and it's obviously come out in a very heated way which, again, I apologise for.

Yes, I see your point, looking back I don't think it was a comment made to tell them what to do. On reflection I think it was a heat of the moment thing said out of astonishment and, by this point, biwilderment. It's disillusioning to know things seem to be up against you. I hope that is the case but I'm resigned to the fact I'll be rejected because my predicted grades fall one short of their requirements and it's a bit depressing. Anyway we shall see... Nicely argued point, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly at Oxford if you chose to go there. Best of luck!

Hell, I can relate to getting frustrating answers you don't want from universities...
Sorry to hear about the week, and it's not your fault, had I taken my head out of my arse for a second and asked some questions I could have ascertained that you actually had a reasonable grievance.

I'm sure you'll do well wherever you end up (even if you do end up dropping a grade.) You managed to get me to apologise, which I very rarely do anyway, so you did some nice arguing yourself :p:

Best of luck to you too.
Original post by LookAliveSunshine
finally someone else who applied to bangor! i was begining to think it was just me! did you take the entrance scholarship exam?
good luck on your other choices! i'm still waiting on durham too, fingers crossed!

Haha, no me too- judging by the look of my UCAS form atm I’ll probably see you there. No, never occurred to me tbh!

Good luck with your application!

Original post by smallfish
I know many applicants in my school (admittedly not for Law) that have received offers from Nottingham... some well before Christmas.

I'm in the same situation, predicted 3A's and applied to Nottingham, UCL, Bristol, Sussex and Warwick.... only heard from Sussex really. Though I guess I would rather wait than hear from them with a rejection. :redface:

Yeah I know quite a few people who have had offers from Nottingham too; this is taken from the acknowledgement e-mail:
‘As you may be aware this programme is very popular, attracting large numbers of applications from highly qualified candidates. In accordance with UCAS guidelines, we must give equal consideration to all applications that we receive up until the 15 January deadline. For this reason, we operate a “gathered field” for selection, and therefore we are required to put your application on hold for a short time.

We realise that you will want to be notified of our decision as soon as possible, and we will not hold your application unnecessarily. We aim to process your form as soon as we can and you should expect to hear from us by the end of February 2011 at the latest.’

Make of that what you will.

Yeah I’d rather that too it’s just I would have expected to here by now so I’m a bit doubtful. Anyway what will be will be, good luck!
Original post by Mann18
Hell, I can relate to getting frustrating answers you don't want from universities...
Sorry to hear about the week, and it's not your fault, had I taken my head out of my arse for a second and asked some questions I could have ascertained that you actually had a reasonable grievance.

I'm sure you'll do well wherever you end up (even if you do end up dropping a grade.) You managed to get me to apologise, which I very rarely do anyway, so you did some nice arguing yourself :p:

Best of luck to you too.

I'm glad to see that you two have kissed and made up! :h:
Reply 1673
Original post by Doughnuts!!

+1
Original post by Mann18
Meant Reading :facepalm2:
Sure I read that you had really fallen for it and were disregarding Bristol?

Anyway, Bristol is I think, really good both for Law, and as a university. The accomodation there is basically like colleges if you choose it to be, or it can be more of a typical uni accomodation deal which is something I think is quite good, the choice between the two. I have a friend who goes there, she seems to quite like it anyway :p:

St Edmund Hall is the Oxford college that accepted me, not one of the more grand colleges (in fact, it's known for it's informality) but I really liked it when I went to visit.

Isn't Teddy the oldest? I'm sure I read that it was the oldest. That's got to make it relatively grand, surely?

That's quite encouraging, thank you.

I did really like Reading university when I went, I want to find out more about the course and have another look round the actual law department, I didn't get a lot of time there. I particularly want to find out what the assessment style is like, I think that they like group presentations over coursework and that would really put me off.

When I applied I wasn't seriously expecting to get into anywhere as prestigious as Bristol either, I'm reluctant to give that up so I'm definitely not discounting it. I'm going for a post-offer open day there next wednesday, so hopefully I'll have more of an idea after that, and I'm visiting Reading again the week after. And I'm visiting Birmingham in March too and hopefully I will hear from Warwick, I'm trying to keep as open a mind as possible :tongue:

Original post by Doughnuts!!

The thread is happy again :love:
Reply 1675
Original post by Potiron
Isn't Teddy the oldest? I'm sure I read that it was the oldest. That's got to make it relatively grand, surely?

That's quite encouraging, thank you.

I did really like Reading university when I went, I want to find out more about the course and have another look round the actual law department, I didn't get a lot of time there. I particularly want to find out what the assessment style is like, I think that they like group presentations over coursework and that would really put me off.

When I applied I wasn't seriously expecting to get into anywhere as prestigious as Bristol either, I'm reluctant to give that up so I'm definitely not discounting it. I'm going for a post-offer open day there next wednesday, so hopefully I'll have more of an idea after that, and I'm visiting Reading again the week after. And I'm visiting Birmingham in March too and hopefully I will hear from Warwick, I'm trying to keep as open a mind as possible :tongue:

The thread is happy again :love:

Teddy is the 5th oldest I heard. But then, it's the only remaining Aularian house. I don't really understand how they've decided to rank them in terms of age. It's small, and just recently been permitted collegiate status, so it's not very rich. Depends what you call "grand" I suppose :p:

I agree about the group presentation thing, if they do that, I wouldn't really want that, seems as though you'd be relying on others for your grade. I certainly wouldn't discount Bristol either! But I think keeping an open mind is the best option, not a lot of people actually visit the place they go to study at eventually apparently, so you'll be quite informed before you go :p:

I'm just sorry I made it loveless at one point. :sad:
Original post by Mann18
Teddy is the 5th oldest I heard. But then, it's the only remaining Aularian house. I don't really understand how they've decided to rank them in terms of age. It's small, and just recently been permitted collegiate status, so it's not very rich. Depends what you call "grand" I suppose :p:

I agree about the group presentation thing, if they do that, I wouldn't really want that, seems as though you'd be relying on others for your grade. I certainly wouldn't discount Bristol either! But I think keeping an open mind is the best option, not a lot of people actually visit the place they go to study at eventually apparently, so you'll be quite informed before you go :p:

I'm just sorry I made it loveless at one point. :sad:

I just wrote a long post and then accidentally closed the window :sad:

Erm...

I was reading about it in a pub in Oxford, so my memory is likely to be slightly sloshy. And it was a while ago. It isn't age or grandness that matters unless that's the only thing that's going to make you happy, which it obviously isn't.

I didn't visit the university I'm currently at til after I'd firmed it, which is a mistake I'm desperate to not repeat. They're also rather keen on group presentations; I have one essay to write this term that's just started. I expected more from an English degree. At least it should make it easier to pass the year, I guess.

Edit: Apparently it dates to about 1278, which I make to be pretty damn old :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
hi! hi.

I am applying fot Law as an undergraduate student. I am applying for Queen Mary, Kings College, UCL, LSE and Leeds(conditional offer)

However, today I was shattered to find that I had been rejected from Kings College!! I litereally started crying! They sent me this mail as well: "thank you for your application to King's College London. Your application has now been carefully considered. Whilst you meet the entrance requirements for the programme, applications are considered in a competitive environment. We have received many applications this year and due to the competition for places have had to disappoint many candidates. Therefore, I regret to inform you that you have been unsuccessful in obtaining a place on the programme.

May we take this opportunity to wish you every success with future applications`

i am soooo sad now.. Is there any chance I´ll be accepted to UCL, Queen Mary or LSE? My dream is to get into LSE!!

Btw, I am a Swedish girl who has been living in the Uk for 2 yrs to do A-levels. I do economics, religious studies and psychology and am predicted AAA* (A* in RS). Also, I achieved 8 in my ILETS test.

Anyone heard from UCL or LSE yet?

xxxxxx
Course: LLB Law with French and french law
University: East Anglia
Offer:ABB

Course: LLB Law (Honours) plus Matrise en droit
University: Sheffeild Hallam
Offer: BBB

Course:LLB Law
University: Oxford Brookes

Course: LLB Law
University: Nottingham Trent

Sent and received all offers in November 2010

:smile:
Original post by moonsailorkitten
hi.

I am applying fot Law as an undergraduate student. I am applying for Queen Mary, Kings College, UCL, LSE and Leeds(conditional offer)

However, today I was shattered to find that I had been rejected from Kings College!! I litereally started crying! They sent me this mail as well: "thank you for your application to King's College London. Your application has now been carefully considered. Whilst you meet the entrance requirements for the programme, applications are considered in a competitive environment. We have received many applications this year and due to the competition for places have had to disappoint many candidates. Therefore, I regret to inform you that you have been unsuccessful in obtaining a place on the programme.

May we take this opportunity to wish you every success with future applications`

i am soooo sad now.. Is there any chance I´ll be accepted to UCL, Queen Mary or LSE? My dream is to get into LSE!!

Btw, I am a Swedish girl who has been living in the Uk for 2 yrs to do A-levels. I do economics, religious studies and psychology and am predicted AAA* (A* in RS). Also, I achieved 8 in my ILETS test.

Any ideas of what my chances for the other unis might be`?

Also, anyone heard from UCL or LSE yet??

Delete three of your posts and I might respond properly.

edit: stop being pricks and negging this. Unless you genuinely want massive quadruple posts on the thread.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending