The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jakelee
Woop! Us Foundationers are not alone.

Best of luck and let me know how it goes. :smile: You sent your form off yet?

Kind of. I sent it off on the 17th, found a error with it on the 25th, phoned the UEA up because UCAS had me down as year 1 not 0. They changed it for me to year 0. But UCAS still has it has year 1 :/ So I don't know how long it will be until I get a reply :/
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 21
Well UEA sent me an acknowledgement. I can't even log onto Track yet though!
Reply 22
Hey, just made an account to reply to this thread. :smile:

I sent my application of for the science foundation year on the 12th of November, got an acknowledgement email on the 15th which also stated that due to the high volume of applications received it may take some time to process. Finally received a conditional offer yesterday. :biggrin: So hopefully you won't have much longer to wait.

My personal statement was based mainly around ocean/environmental sciences.

Also I think I put year one, I diddn't even think much about it until I read through the thread, though I just checked and it seems to have changed to year 0 with my offer.
Reply 23
Original post by Schaapje
Hey, just made an account to reply to this thread. :smile:

I sent my application of for the science foundation year on the 12th of November, got an acknowledgement email on the 15th which also stated that due to the high volume of applications received it may take some time to process. Finally received a conditional offer yesterday. :biggrin: So hopefully you won't have much longer to wait.

My personal statement was based mainly around ocean/environmental sciences.

Also I think I put year one, I diddn't even think much about it until I read through the thread, though I just checked and it seems to have changed to year 0 with my offer.

I rang up the UEA last week about my problem with the UCAS and year 1/0 and it seemed to all go well :smile:

I think the UEA are on a roll. I sent my UCAS on the 17th November, and I got a conditional offer for year 0 today :smile: It has really made my day, UEA is deff. going to be my firm choice, can't take the girl out of Norwich :smile: 5 minutes before my offer, I was really happy because I got an offer from my insurance choice :smile:
Reply 24
Congrats on the offer =3 I had a interview at Bangor that day in which they told me to expect a conditional offer on Ucas. Got home, checked Ucas track to find a offer from EA :smile: Both are my 2 favourites so it was a good day :biggrin: not sure which I will put as firm/insurance yet though.
Reply 25
Bump!

Anyone know if we are going to be affected by the student fee rise?
Reply 26
Student fees do not go up until the 2012/13 academic year so you are safe :cool:

I did the science foundation year last year and loved it, Jenny Bochmann (Chemistry) is just great! My brother is now doing science foundation year this year and one of my best friends has applied for next year..... Can't recommend it enough!

Plus the good this is, you can enjoy the uni life without an awful lot of pressure on you, and getting real good grades is relatively easy!

If you achieve 80% overall for the year you get an extra £500 bursary for each remaining year of your degree course, and if you transfer to a chemistry course (I'm on MChem) achieving 75% overall and 75% in each chemistry module you get £2000 on top for each remaining year!! (or £1000 per year of you get 70%)

Could it get any better people?!?!?!?! :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by JayAce
Student fees do not go up until the 2012/13 academic year so you are safe :cool:

I did the science foundation year last year and loved it, Jenny Bochmann (Chemistry) is just great! My brother is now doing science foundation year this year and one of my best friends has applied for next year..... Can't recommend it enough!

Plus the good this is, you can enjoy the uni life without an awful lot of pressure on you, and getting real good grades is relatively easy!

If you achieve 80% overall for the year you get an extra £500 bursary for each remaining year of your degree course, and if you transfer to a chemistry course (I'm on MChem) achieving 75% overall and 75% in each chemistry module you get £2000 on top for each remaining year!! (or £1000 per year of you get 70%)

Could it get any better people?!?!?!?! :biggrin:

That seems pretty great.

I read if you get 75% overall you can go onto Pharmacy. :smile:

Also what general areas do you study in Chemistry Foundation, I want to know so I can get a head start teaching myself it. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by NicebutNic
Basically - applied for the science foundation degree. I have a background in business, barely scraping the requirements but I have them, I called them up wrote my personal statement got my reference my UCAS has all been sent off etc.

I just want to rest my mind at ease a little. I applied so that I join in september 2011. Sent my application the 15th of November, that was yesterday. How long do they usually take to get back to you? and do they tell you if they decline you?

Thankyou, Also can anyone tell me if they are in the same boat as me or have been in the same boat? :smile: How hard are these degrees to get onto because I really want to go to UEA, I have my heart set on it. :confused: :colondollar:

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Also on a side note, I'm interested if theres any beginners badminton clubs there too :smile:

alright man, i'm doing the same course as you but for physics, where have you apllied?
Reply 29
Original post by Jakelee
That seems pretty great.

I read if you get 75% overall you can go onto Pharmacy. :smile:

Also what general areas do you study in Chemistry Foundation, I want to know so I can get a head start teaching myself it. :smile:

It starts off real simple... "What is an atom?" kinda stuff! lol

But quickly gets into a low-level mix of organic, inorganic and physical chemistry which ties in with the bio and phys too.

If you're real interested I could send ya a selection of notes, PM if so :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by JayAce
It starts off real simple... "What is an atom?" kinda stuff! lol

But quickly gets into a low-level mix of organic, inorganic and physical chemistry which ties in with the bio and phys too.

If you're real interested I could send ya a selection of notes, PM if so :smile:

I would really appreciated that thank you. Still don't have microsoft word on my laptop yet though lol.
Reply 31
Hi,

I've been offered a place at UEA to study Foundation Science in September 2011. I'm interested to hear about anyones experience with UEAs Foundation course.

I'm returning to education after a 7 year gap, so I'm particularly interested to hear any thoughts from mature students that have done or are doing this course.

Thanks
Ed
Bump

I've just applied for this course too, so would love to know more also? I'm also a mature student but am looking at studying part time, so any info on course hours and part time workload would be handy :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Eddy85
Hi,

I've been offered a place at UEA to study Foundation Science in September 2011. I'm interested to hear about anyones experience with UEAs Foundation course.

I'm returning to education after a 7 year gap, so I'm particularly interested to hear any thoughts from mature students that have done or are doing this course.

Thanks
Ed

Original post by MissGeekness
Bump

I've just applied for this course too, so would love to know more also? I'm also a mature student but am looking at studying part time, so any info on course hours and part time workload would be handy :smile:

This thread has a couple of peoples experiences.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28550194&highlight=

I have firmed my place there. :smile:
Thank you very much :smile: very helpful and informative! Hopefully i will be joining you this year too, but i wont know for a little while. Only just sent my app in and the process is different due to part time, mature etc etc
Reply 35
Thank you very much :smile: very helpful and informative! Hopefully i will be joining you this year too, but i wont know for a little while. Only just sent my app in and the process is different due to part time, mature etc etc

I didn't know they did it part time, what are you hoping to advance to, course-wise?

Technically I'm mature to. Don't feel like it though. :p:
Reply 36
Thanks for the link Jakelee. :smile: Look at us "mature students", are we meant to be grown up and sensible because we're mature? - I don't really do sensible!
Reply 37
Found another (older) one guys... :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=542422&highlight=foundation

If you go eddy are you planning on staying in halls?
Lol i'm definitely classed mature by age alone. I still feel like a 17 year old most of the time!

Yeh they offer it part time which is really really handy at the moment. Course wise i am hoping to progress to biochemistry or chemistry with forensics. But there is so much mind boggling choice with UEA and i do really love human biology as a subject too!!

What are you both thinking about studying?
Reply 39
Lol i'm definitely classed mature by age alone. I still feel like a 17 year old most of the time!

Yeh they offer it part time which is really really handy at the moment. Course wise i am hoping to progress to biochemistry or chemistry with forensics. But there is so much mind boggling choice with UEA and i do really love human biology as a subject too!!

What are you both thinking about studying?

I applied with Biology in my PS but am trying to get some experience in a Pharmacy to see if thats what I would like to go into.
You can pretty much go onto anything though. Hell, i'm trying to get some Physiotherapy experience as well.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending