The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teafil
hey.... I don't wanna sound suspicious or something, but how do you guys know for sure they give out 350 offers? Is there any official information or did anyone find this out from a reliable source? Sorry but it really seems too good to be true !

Yeah.. and considering they take 165(ish) a year...
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
Yeah.. and considering they take 165(ish) a year...

But Medical Schools all seem to give out 2/3 offers per place because not everyone will accept their offer...
Original post by baztech
Hey areyousure? (why that name? Chris Tarrant, is it you..) my interview is at 4.05pm! Apparantly we get a wee tour after the interview. Whens yours?

because I like that name :biggrin:
my interview is at 2.55pm. Yeah I am looking fordward to it, I wish it was before the interview though because it will help :biggrin:

Do we all get the tour at the same time once all interviews are done for that day or is it like individually straight after your interview?
Reply 503
I just got an invite for interview on the 16th of feb!!! Im so happy, but OMG i didnt realise what a pain it is to get there! I think im just going to hire a car once i get into ebinburgh haha
Can anyone who has already had an interview give me an idea of how the interview goes. I understand that we will get asked about this article we read, but what other sort of things do you get asked. Are most of the questions based upon what you have written in your PS or are they the general ones with no reference to PS.

I dont actually want to know specific questions, just what type of questions that may be asked.

Reply 505
Original post by teafil
Interview ! 9th of february!

Merry Merry Merry Christmas !!!

I was randomly looking through this forum and noticed that you got the same interview date as me and I'm also a non-UK applicant! xD I got to know about my interview on the 23rd of December too... Mine's at 3.40pm, when's yours?

I'll see you there! :smile:
Reply 506
Original post by filea
I was randomly looking through this forum and noticed that you got the same interview date as me and I'm also a non-UK applicant! xD I got to know about my interview on the 23rd of December too... Mine's at 3.40pm, when's yours?

I'll see you there! :smile:

Mine is at 4;15. Where are you from? :biggrin:
Reply 507
Original post by teafil
Mine is at 4;15. Where are you from? :biggrin:

I'm from Sweden! Oh I think your interview is just after mine! I'll be seeing you in the waiting room xD Where are you from? :smile: Where else have you applied to? :smile:
Reply 508
Original post by filea
I'm from Sweden! Oh I think your interview is just after mine! I'll be seeing you in the waiting room xD Where are you from? :smile: Where else have you applied to? :smile:

I'm Romanian. Also went for Dundee, Glasgow and Oxford (rejected). Mind me asking, what was your ukcat score?
Reply 509
Original post by teafil
I'm Romanian. Also went for Dundee, Glasgow and Oxford (rejected). Mind me asking, what was your ukcat score?

Ahh okay :smile: I applied for KCL (shouldn't have since I heard they don't really like EU applicants), Sheffield (was interviewed last Wednesday), Aberdeen and St. Andrews of course :smile:

My UKCAT was 662,5. Comparing it to what I've seen here in the forum it's just quite average. How about you? Have you heard from any other university?
Reply 510
Original post by filea
Ahh okay :smile: I applied for KCL (shouldn't have since I heard they don't really like EU applicants), Sheffield (was interviewed last Wednesday), Aberdeen and St. Andrews of course :smile:

My UKCAT was 662,5. Comparing it to what I've seen here in the forum it's just quite average. How about you? Have you heard from any other university?

I've had my Dundee interview last Monday. My Glasgow interview is up next on the 1st of February and then St. Andrews on the 9th of February ... My UKCAT score was 680 but to be honest i really think its low considering that most people around here have scores as high as 700+ or even 750+. I hope it's gonna be good enough to get me an offer though :smile:
Reply 511
Original post by teafil
I've had my Dundee interview last Monday. My Glasgow interview is up next on the 1st of February and then St. Andrews on the 9th of February ... My UKCAT score was 680 but to be honest i really think its low considering that most people around here have scores as high as 700+ or even 750+. I hope it's gonna be good enough to get me an offer though :smile:

Oh congrats on the interviews! :smile: Yah when I went on my Sheffield interview, it's known for having a cutoff score of 720, and I came there with a score of 662,5 so I just kept quiet when they were comparing UKCAT scores with eachother... haha xD It seems like non-UK students get special treatment though! We'll just see when they rank our applications...
Reply 512
Original post by filea
Oh congrats on the interviews! :smile: Yah when I went on my Sheffield interview, it's known for having a cutoff score of 720, and I came there with a score of 662,5 so I just kept quiet when they were comparing UKCAT scores with eachother... haha xD It seems like non-UK students get special treatment though! We'll just see when they rank our applications...

I hope they do take into consideration the great effort internationals do - financially and intellectually speaking. I'll just try do my best and wait for a (positive) response :tongue: Fingers crossed for all of us!
Reply 513
Original post by teafil
I hope they do take into consideration the great effort internationals do - financially and intellectually speaking. I'll just try do my best and wait for a (positive) response :tongue: Fingers crossed for all of us!

Agreed agreed! :smile:
Original post by teafil

Just remember that TSR does not represent all the medical applicants out there and it does tend to have the students with the higest UKCAT, BMAT and A Levels results.
I think your score is average, or even above average, and for a UKCAT university like St Andrews it shoudl be sufficient (if you are talking about UKCAT nazis ie Sheffield and the likes then you will need the 700-750+ scores :biggrin:)

Good luck with your two interview :biggrin:
Reply 515
Original post by ukcathater
Well I just hope they take into consideration the effort Scottish students make also!some of us are under a lot of financial pressure too you know

I agree with what you said of course! But internationals have to spend loads of money just to make it to the interview. It would be really disapointing to get rejected after spending 3000 euros just to attend the interviews. This is what I meant. I'm not implying that Scottish students do any better when it comes to money. Well considering that here an average salary is 200 euros a month (2400 euros a year) I really think we have more problems then you guys :rolleyes: Still you are right... i honestly didn't mean to offend anyone or something like that.
Reply 516
Original post by areyousure?
Just remember that TSR does not represent all the medical applicants out there and it does tend to have the students with the higest UKCAT, BMAT and A Levels results.
I think your score is average, or even above average, and for a UKCAT university like St Andrews it shoudl be sufficient (if you are talking about UKCAT nazis ie Sheffield and the likes then you will need the 700-750+ scores :biggrin:)

Good luck with your two interview :biggrin:

Thank you! And to you good luck with everything! i'd really love to have as colleges some of you guys - that would be a real intellectual challenge !:biggrin:
Does anyone know if more interviews are still to be sent out?
I am a Scottiah Applicant btw
Hi GBman I think so i haven't heard anything. You're the man who keeps US informed lol

Well, I am quite sure that they have still to hand out more offers but I am beginning to wonder if Scottish Applicants who haven't had an interview by now are rejects :frown:

I am truly thankful to have at least one interview, so I am not complaining, but for mine and your sake especially I really hope they have still to hand out more interviews to us beloved:rolleyes: Scottish Applicants :colone:
Original post by teafil
I agree with what you said of course! But internationals have to spend loads of money just to make it to the interview. It would be really disapointing to get rejected after spending 3000 euros just to attend the interviews. This is what I meant. I'm not implying that Scottish students do any better when it comes to money. Well considering that here an average salary is 200 euros a month (2400 euros a year) I really think we have more problems then you guys :rolleyes: Still you are right... i honestly didn't mean to offend anyone or something like that.

I completely see your point with the fact that a lot of money goes into travelling expense, I had to expend 3 days in Birmingham last December and I am currently looking at flights and hotels for my St Andrews interview. However, I think that it is something that you should have thought about from the beginning, you are not an international applicant- you are EU- which means that you are competing not only with other EUs but also with the Home students and I think its unfair to think that EU students should be given an advantage due to the costs of attending interview because some Home applicants- say from London- may also have to travel to St Andrews and this will also cost a lot.

If someone is going though bad times and believe that due to the cost of the trip they won't be able to attend the interview I think that they should contact the universities and maybe they offer to have the interview via telephone or skype.

International students will have to put a lot of money into transport and accommodation just for an interview but I still think that they should not be given an advantage for that either because if you can't afford a 3 day trip how are you going to pay for the huge international tuition fees when international students don't get any loans?

If you want to study outside your home country then you have take into account the expenditure that you will have to make even though sometimes they will be for nothing.

I sympathise with your plight and I hope you are lucky enough to get an offer, you at least have a chance because you have interviews. Scotland's unemployment is soaring at the moment we are lagging behind England. If I don't get in to uni this year I will struggle to find a job in my gap year,most hospitals are cutting back on CSW staff as they have no money so getting good paid work experience is going to be difficult

I am soo sorry to hear about the struggle you are going through but I think you should be glad of living in the UK which does offer more support to the unemployed than other EU countries, Spain for example is giving less and less support every year and this is because the whole economy is ruined.

How is your UCAS going? Where else did you apply? Remember that there is still hope for you to get an interview at St Andrews :biggrin:
Also, if you have to go through a gap year and you can't find a job outside the healthcare services then maybe you could travel abroad and join a non profitable organisation like Red Cross while having a job in that country. I believe that here in Spain an English person will have a wide range of jobs especially if you try to learn some basic Spanish.

Don't get so worried yet, the UCAS cycle is not over!!
Good Luck, I really hope you get the place you deserve.
PM me if you ever need someone to talk to.

Quick Reply