The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ukcathater
Well if they don't check everyone could pretty much make up their work experience etc and make their ps look great! Hmm I wonder how many people have done that?.

Maybe they phone up/e-mail the places you say you have done WE?
Reply 521
Original post by areyousure?
I completely see your point with the fact that a lot of money goes into travelling expense, I had to expend 3 days in Birmingham last December and I am currently looking at flights and hotels for my St Andrews interview. However, I think that it is something that you should have thought about from the beginning, you are not an international applicant- you are EU- which means that you are competing not only with other EUs but also with the Home students and I think its unfair to think that EU students should be given an advantage due to the costs of attending interview because some Home applicants- say from London- may also have to travel to St Andrews and this will also cost a lot.

If someone is going though bad times and believe that due to the cost of the trip they won't be able to attend the interview I think that they should contact the universities and maybe they offer to have the interview via telephone or skype.

International students will have to put a lot of money into transport and accommodation just for an interview but I still think that they should not be given an advantage for that either because if you can't afford a 3 day trip how are you going to pay for the huge international tuition fees when international students don't get any loans?

If you want to study outside your home country then you have take into account the expenditure that you will have to make even though sometimes they will be for nothing.

I am soo sorry to hear about the struggle you are going through but I think you should be glad of living in the UK which does offer more support to the unemployed than other EU countries, Spain for example is giving less and less support every year and this is because the whole economy is ruined.

How is your UCAS going? Where else did you apply? Remember that there is still hope for you to get an interview at St Andrews :biggrin:
Also, if you have to go through a gap year and you can't find a job outside the healthcare services then maybe you could travel abroad and join a non profitable organisation like Red Cross while having a job in that country. I believe that here in Spain an English person will have a wide range of jobs especially if you try to learn some basic Spanish.

Don't get so worried yet, the UCAS cycle is not over!!
Good Luck, I really hope you get the place you deserve.
PM me if you ever need someone to talk to.

I never asked for getting an advantage, i just said I wish they would understand us. To be honest i wouldn't like getting in a university knowing that there were better applicant out there. I am extremely correct even with my self haha ! But yeah you are right sorry for using the international word... i only mean out of UK. There is still a stressing part for us. For example at Dundee I completely started to shake because I didn't really understand the names of the cards (cubs and spears and so on). After so many years of studying English at high levels i just black out because i never encountered card names ever before. So in this case i do think they should look at internationals/EU applicants different because if we don't know a word or something it doesn't mean we will not make good doctors...

I did take into account all the financial effort my parents will be doing and I know what to expect.

I also mentioned in my previous post about intellectual efforts so please don't think I'm saying i should be entitled to a place just because I pay an extra plane ticket or something... I guess this conversation turned out the wrong way... for me eat least :biggrin:
Areyousure you are correct teafil is not an international applicant and is treated exactly the same as every other "home"applicant. At least she has the oppertunity of applying to britain. How many Eu applicants apply to Romaina? With regards to myself I thought about a gap year abroad but these too have to be funded in some way:frown:

Will you be over 18 during your gap year because many charities need volunteers for various things like teaching, looking after kids in summer camp... but as you don't get paid they do take care of the transport and accommodation so maybe you should look into this as volunteering for a charity abroad will be an excellent experience not only for your PS but also for yourself.
Reply 523
Areyousure you are correct teafil is not an international applicant and is treated exactly the same as every other "home"applicant. At least she has the oppertunity of applying to britain. How many Eu applicants apply to Romaina? With regards to myself I thought about a gap year abroad but these too have to be funded in some way:frown:

There are a few EU applicants in Romania, but most people are from Africa i.e. Zimbabue. I suppose every person wants to move to a better place and right now Romania doesn't seem a great place for Europeans, while Africans consider it a blessing... I suppose this is the way things go round...
Will you be over 18 during your gap year because many charities need volunteers for various things like teaching, looking after kids in summer camp... but as you don't get paid they do take care of the transport and accommodation so maybe you should look into this as volunteering for a charity abroad will be an excellent experience not only for your PS but also for yourself.

oh no, don't start getting ukcathater ready for a gap year. The cycle isn't even over yet! There's still hope.

Forget about gap years for now, everyone should be focussing on exams and interviews if they have any.
:colondollar:
Original post by teafil
I never asked for getting an advantage, i just said I wish they would understand us. To be honest i wouldn't like getting in a university knowing that there were better applicant out there. I am extremely correct even with my self haha ! But yeah you are right sorry for using the international word... i only mean out of UK. There is still a stressing part for us. For example at Dundee I completely started to shake because I didn't really understand the names of the cards (cubs and spears and so on). After so many years of studying English at high levels i just black out because i never encountered card names ever before. So in this case i do think they should look at internationals/EU applicants different because if we don't know a word or something it doesn't mean we will not make good doctors...

I did take into account all the financial effort my parents will be doing and I know what to expect.

I also mentioned in my previous post about intellectual efforts so please don't think I'm saying i should be entitled to a place just because I pay an extra plane ticket or something... I guess this conversation turned out the wrong way... for me eat least :biggrin:

don't worry, I completely got your point but I just wanted to say that I just didn't agree.

I am sorry to hear about the naming cards in Dundee, but I don't think that will be so relevant so don't worry :biggrin: other things are more important than that and I am sure they know it.
Reply 526
don't worry, I completely got your point but I just wanted to say that I just didn't agree.

I am sorry to hear about the naming cards in Dundee, but I don't think that will be so relevant so don't worry :biggrin: other things are more important than that and I am sure they know it.

It's ok... thats why we are rational human being, so we can have different opinions :smile:

I do hope the don't put too much emphasize on that but I did panic and I feel really gutted about it. Oh well... it was a nice life experience :smile:
Original post by garlicbreadman
oh no, don't start getting ukcathater ready for a gap year. The cycle isn't even over yet! There's still hope.

Forget about gap years for now, everyone should be focussing on exams and interviews if they have any.
:colondollar:

hahahha sorry, didn't mean too!
by my second rejection my gap year was planned and then when I thought it was going to be great I got my bham offer!!

I just made a suggestion but I did say in a previous thread that the UCAS cycle is not over yet and there is still a lot of hope. It's just that I think ukcathater felt a bit frustrated for not having no interview and thinking that there was nothing she(i think its a she xD) could do in a gap year!!!

UCAS CYCLE DIDN'T END!
THERE ARE STILL A LOT OF INTERVIEWS THAT HAVE TO SEND OUT!!
Frustrated is not the word..................Where's the rope!

hahahahah sorry :P
where else did you apply ?
Frustrated is not the word..................Where's the rope!

FOUND IT:

:biggrin:

hope this isn't u ukcathater

:tongue:

But seriously ukcahater, I am sure you will get into medicine! I really hope you get in this year
(edited 13 years ago)
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! It is me lol:biggrin:

:biggrin: I'm not going to say u will definitely get in, cos, I don't know about you but it annoys me, but all I can say is with ur determination an perseverance you are bound to get in.
rejected from dundee and liverpool:frown: still waiting for Aberdeen

Don't forget u are still waiting to hear from St Andrews, but I doubt either of us will hear from them :frown:
Does anyone know if st Andrews have gave any interviews out to people with 5A*'s at gcse?!
I saw someone from last year say they said five a*'s wasn't high enough then someone with four a*'s get an offer :/
Gutted I've only heard from one place but I guess that's a good thing :smile:
Reply 533
Original post by laurenl93
Does anyone know if st Andrews have gave any interviews out to people with 5A*'s at gcse?!
I saw someone from last year say they said five a*'s wasn't high enough then someone with four a*'s get an offer :/
Gutted I've only heard from one place but I guess that's a good thing :smile:

Yea I did :smile:
My GCSEs are shocking and ive got an interview there :smile: and its quite an early one!
Original post by ryan118244
Yea I did :smile:
My GCSEs are shocking and ive got an interview there :smile: and its quite an early one!

I :suith: you :h:

Congratulations on yourinterview! I hope it goeswell :smile:
in regards to the checking of work experience, i know that my school phoned up and checked when my reference was being written
Reply 536
Original post by laurenl93
I :suith: you :h:

Congratulations on yourinterview! I hope it goeswell :smile:

Haha thanks :wink: so do I, I soooo badly want to go to St Andrews! It's quite funny though because I sent them a letter of recomendation I got from a surgeon I did work experience with, he also teaches medicine .. so that could be why?! I hope St Andrews dont look at me GCSEs too much. I found out though that they interview people with higher UKCATs first.

I hope you get an interview as well! Where else have u applied, heard from anywhere else?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 537
Original post by ryan118244
Haha thanks :wink: so do I, I soooo badly want to go to St Andrews! It's quite funny though because I sent them a letter of recomendation I got from a surgeon I did work experience with, he also teaches medicine .. so that could be why?! I hope St Andrews dont look at me GCSEs too much. I found out though that they interview people with higher UKCATs first.

I hope you get an interview as well! Where else have u applied, heard from anywhere else?

I don't think they interview in the order of the UKCAT scores. There were people interviewed in December with scores of 670. I have 680 and my interview is on the 9th of February... so they don't exactly respect the order of the UKCAT scores. Plus I've noticed so many people with scores of 630ish got interviews already ...

Perhaps they interview Scottish students first and then English or EU applicants... Or perhaps they do it all randomly. I might be mistaking though :biggrin:
Reply 538
Original post by teafil
I don't think they interview in the order of the UKCAT scores. There were people interviewed in December with scores of 670. I have 680 and my interview is on the 9th of February... so they don't exactly respect the order of the UKCAT scores. Plus I've noticed so many people with scores of 630ish got interviews already ...

Perhaps they interview Scottish students first and then English or EU applicants... Or perhaps they do it all randomly. I might be mistaking though :biggrin:

I think they partly do, it could just make up an academic score to which they look at when deciding to interview people because if you look at people and when they have interviews the ones with higher UKcATs have interviews earlier than those with lower scores. And as for the ones before Christmas, it was like 90% Scottish applicants interviewed so the UKCAT score may not have played such a role.
Reply 539
90%Scottish before christmas..........great!:frown:

It's only because they have there highers already. I dont think they are given a higher preference, not many offers were made.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending