The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Going to New York in April and would like to see an American football game, but I know nothing about the seasons. Presumably there aren't any games for a while after the Superbowl in Feb? Anyone care to enlighten me?
Original post by Mann18
FYI, I think you have enough interest to actually create the group you wanted to all those posts ago :p:

I was thinking the exact same thing last night lolz but it was a bit late.

I will get round to it later. Homework first.
Reply 602
Original post by Shmeiks
Going to New York in April and would like to see an American football game, but I know nothing about the seasons. Presumably there aren't any games for a while after the Superbowl in Feb? Anyone care to enlighten me?

Even pre-season doesn't really start until August.
Original post by kingkev
That's why Manning was voted the 8th best player in the NFL of all time and Brady 21st.

Those ratings were absolute BS. Both Manning and Brady were too high. No active player should be higher than 20 to be honest.
Original post by kingkev
I'm not totally clued up about college football but I know a bit.

I'm thinking Andrew Luck should have entered the draft, I'm pretty sure he would have been the number 1 pick.
Where do you think Cam Newton will go?

Original post by TSR-MATT
As the guaranteed number 1 pick I still don't understand why Luck decided to undergo one more year at Stanford.

We all saw what happened with Locker this year, he was considered the number 1 pick in 2010 and now he may struggle to break the top 15 and has cost himself an insane amount of money.

And as for Cam Newton, his stock will only rise in the coming few months. With his athletic ability some team will drool over his combine numbers and take a possible gamble on him in with at least a top 10 pick if not top 5.

Original post by kingkev
Yeah i'm confused as well, they both just lost out on a whole heap of cash. I read that Luck wanted to complete his degree which is fair enough...but he's never going to use it.

I think Luck made an admirable decision. Choosing to get a strong educational background so as to have something to fall back on if the pro's doesn't work out.

Just look at Ryan Leaf. A huge bust. If he had a college degree (which they get paid for them on a scholarship) he could do something with his life.

I understand the attraction of getting the guaranteed money while the bumper rookie contracts are still around, but perhaps he isn't in it for money. Besides, he will get paid plenty down the line.
Original post by thepilot
Ok what teams does anyone want to get into the Superbowl this year?
I'm going for Steelers/Bears because i'm a Vikings fan, so obviously I dont want the Packers to get to Superbowl level, and the Steelers are my backup team/AFC team :smile:

Steelers and Packers.

Because I hate the Jets and the Bears aren't that good so they wouldn't beat the Steelers.

Basically as long as Packers win it all then I don't care.
Original post by SaltyPiratePony
We are speaking currently.

I don't need to convince you lol. He is better in almost every single way.
Original post by S129439
I don't need to convince you lol. He is better in almost every single way.

I hope for your life you are referring to Brady :angry:
Original post by Shmeiks

Unless your around in early August you won't catch anything. Sorry dude.

However, 28-30 April is the NFL draft held in Radio City Music Hall New York City. I would advise going to see that, seeing as it is a huge event in the NFL and very few people can say they have been to a draft. Chances are you would see a few future hall of famers being drafted!
Reply 609
I'm a Packers fan :biggrin: HUGE game tonight and can't wait!

just wanted to know people's opinions on the best NFC QBs. Pro bowlers were Vick (starting), then Ryan then Brees I believe. Where is Rodgers in this equation? I personally rate Rodgers higher than any of those this season, from a completely unbiased viewpoint :tongue:
I hope for your life you are referring to Brady :angry:

Yes.
Original post by dolmio
I'm a Packers fan :biggrin: HUGE game tonight and can't wait!

just wanted to know people's opinions on the best NFC QBs. Pro bowlers were Vick (starting), then Ryan then Brees I believe. Where is Rodgers in this equation? I personally rate Rodgers higher than any of those this season, from a completely unbiased viewpoint :tongue:

Rodgers picked up too late in the Season. If he had played all season like that, he would have been up for MVP never mind pro-bowl.

For me it goes Brees>Rodgers>Vick>Ryan
Reply 612
The only valid reason I can see is that he wanted to have one more year of the 'college lifestyle' he must be the bigman on campus etc. But it could potentially be a massive mistake, we just have to wait and see.

The college liftstyle of a footballer isn't great you know, the curfews in place and the strict requirements on diet alone can make it hell for some people, perhaps the guy just wants to graduate, it isn't that difficult to believe and should be respected.

Life as a football player at college is not what the likes of Van Wilder makes it out to be.
Original post by RNBen
The college liftstyle of a footballer isn't great you know, the curfews in place and the strict requirements on diet alone can make it hell for some people, perhaps the guy just wants to graduate, it isn't that difficult to believe and should be respected.

Life as a football player at college is not what the likes of Van Wilder makes it out to be.

This tbh
Reply 614
Makes the decision all the more ridiculous.

In your opinion, for all you know the guy might have promised his family that no matter what, education will come before football. At the end of the day, without going to college his chances of playing pro were close to zero. Sure, he got a scholarship, but maybe he appreciates that there are people who can't afford to go to college or get scholarships. No one knows the reason behind his decision, so don't judge him because of it.
(edited 13 years ago)
You don't need an education when your a lock for the number 1 pick, your career is football.

Your not guaranteed success. Look at all the draft busts in history. It would be stupid to just jump headlong into the NFL expecting success. Sure it works out for some, but I think getting a solid safety net is a wise decision. Especially with this CBA issue at the moment.
Reply 616
You don't need an education when your a lock for the number 1 pick, your career is football.

It is that narrow mindedness that is the reason most people assume NFL players are idiots, however, has probably also helped in the success of NFL Player Development in order to prepare players for life after football. Sure, the money from football is amazing, but it is the sitting around doing nothing after your career that drives players to drink and drugs.

http://www.nflplayers.com/about-us/FAQs/NFL-Hopeful-FAQs/ - Read Why is education important? (More pay and longer career)
If your a bust you're still looking at $20-30 MILLION, that's more than you would EVER get from a career in engineering.

Yeah but nobody wants to retire at 23
Reply 618
Or we can just leave it as it is and be one big happy family and try to max out the pages on this thread! Yay!

It wouldn't prevent that, it'd just give us another area in which to chat.

I see your point I guess :p:
Reply 619
If your a bust you're still looking at $20-30 MILLION, that's more than you would EVER get from a career in engineering.

I'm with you on this one.

Latest