The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Original post by yossyrocks
Fingers crossed you will get it in the areas that you want. I am not really fussed as to where I get per se , but somewhere in the south west/ east and london area would not be too bad. Should you have applied for masters already ? I thought you needed to have the STP place first then apply for the masters ???:confused: hmmm...

Ah, yes, I wondered about that too. However, on the Southampton website it does say that the new MSc has been designed to fit into the new STP format, so I just assumed that applicants would need both organised to start in the same year. I could be wrong, of course! But I figured it was as well to secure a place on the MSc as I could always decline it before starting if it doesn't work out (which I might have to do anyway if I can't get an STP place...).

I am hoping that everyone concerned in the recruitment process will be flexible with applicants - after all, how can we know what's supposed to be happening? Confusion is bound to happen, so all being well they will make concessions if people haven't quite got things spot on! :smile:
Original post by Panthea
Ah, yes, I wondered about that too. However, on the Southampton website it does say that the new MSc has been designed to fit into the new STP format, so I just assumed that applicants would need both organised to start in the same year. I could be wrong, of course! But I figured it was as well to secure a place on the MSc as I could always decline it before starting if it doesn't work out (which I might have to do anyway if I can't get an STP place...).

I am hoping that everyone concerned in the recruitment process will be flexible with applicants - after all, how can we know what's supposed to be happening? Confusion is bound to happen, so all being well they will make concessions if people haven't quite got things spot on! :smile:

VERY TRUE :smile:, I think I am going to wait and see if I get an STP post then apply for the masters, can't really afford it otherwise. Phew panic attack over. Thanks a lot for the info !
Reply 1122
Hi All,
I'm looking for a career change after working as an analyst for the past 4 years - I graduated in Physics and would really like to start making use of my degree again, so I've been looking at the possibility of applying for the Medical Physics option of the STP. The only issue is that I don't yet have any relevant work experience in this area - does anyone have any advice on the best way of getting some experience? I'm a little bit worried that I'll struggle to fit in a decent amount of time to do this as I'm still working full-time, but I'm really keen to learn more about this field!
Thanks!
Original post by Mbob
There's no particular health risk involved with medical physics, you may get a small radiation dose if working in Nuclear Medicine, but far below the levels you would normally worry about. Whether or not you think the work is boring or not is a matter of personal preference.

Its very variable depending on sub-discipline and where you work. You probably will spend time doing repetitive work (quality assurance or testing of equipment) but there is also more developmental work, implementing new techniques or treatments. The best way to find out is to ask for some work experience at a medical physics department. Senior staff take more overall responsibility, supervising other people's work and taking a lead in projects. They may also manage other staff.

Again it all depends on what you are looking for in a job. In research you often get a lot of freedom in how you plan your day, what hours you work, what research you do etc. There's lots of chances to attend seminars, conferences, network etc. If you want to spend a week just doing some reading then you might be able to do that, which you probably wouldn't in any other job. Obviously I'm generalising and it will depend on the lab you work at and what you are doing.

Thanks again for your insight several weeks ago.

It seems like everyone's aware of the new Scientist Training Programme but there is such limited info on it, even less so than before. Here's what I'm confused by:

The new STP is 3 years with an integrated fully funded MSc as part of the "package" and you do not need to apply (in theory) separately for a MSc??Will you still gain the MSc part time after 2 years, leaving the final year to training only?? Could you potentially start a ph.d in your final year?

After the 3 years of being in band 6, you could study further or apply to band 7?

Is this correct? The NHS jobs does not have any such positions yet!! But whilst checking out some medical physics positions, it seems like many need lifting heavy weights!! This is a worrying prospect, is this as bad as it sounds?? I'm a girl so it's not ideal...
Original post by Ítaca
Hi! anyone knows if european citizens other than UK can apply for the training programs? I am spanish and got a degree and PhD from spanish universities, do I have any chances?
Thanks to anyone who can help!!

Hola! Don't worry Itaca, it should be fine. Due to EU law there are generally no restrictions on EU applicants for jobs in the UK, with exception of some security-related and civil service jobs. Definitely worth applying! I'm portuguese and thinking of applying too. Good luck!
Reply 1125
Original post by owpowpowp
Thanks again for your insight several weeks ago.

It seems like everyone's aware of the new Scientist Training Programme but there is such limited info on it, even less so than before. Here's what I'm confused by:

The new STP is 3 years with an integrated fully funded MSc as part of the "package" and you do not need to apply (in theory) separately for a MSc??Will you still gain the MSc part time after 2 years, leaving the final year to training only?? Could you potentially start a ph.d in your final year?

The final structure is still being worked on, but I think that the MSc will be delivered over the three years, so I you would need to do all three years before leaving to to a phD. Quick interview tip: don't suggest you might leave to do a phD as soon as you've finished your training, it will probably not be looked on favourably!

As far as I'm aware, you never had to apply separately for the MSc for medical physics.

If your're applying this year then I assume (although I don't know for sure so don't quote me) that you will be on the old training scheme anyway, unless you're applying to a pilot site for the new scheme.

After the 3 years of being in band 6, you could study further or apply to band 7?

I think the plan is you'll apply to band 7 posts after finishing the STP. If you want to go off and do a phD you could, although unless it was very relevant to clinical work it might make getting a band 7 job harder afterwards.

Is this correct? The NHS jobs does not have any such positions yet!! But whilst checking out some medical physics positions, it seems like many need lifting heavy weights!! This is a worrying prospect, is this as bad as it sounds?? I'm a girl so it's not ideal...

Depending on area, you'll need to able to lift small jigs, phantoms and measurement devices, nothing too heavy. Unless you have a disability I wouldn't worry about it, you can always get someone to help you if it's a problem. There's plenty of women working in medical physics, probably about 50%.
Hello There
I am planning to apply for a trainee post this year
Are the post out yet? I am new to the NHS as I'm from Ireland
Hi,

Im wanting to apply for clinical scientist training maybe in biochemistry but I cant find out how to apply for the training!! have I missed the deadline, im really confused! Does anyone know??
Reply 1129
AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH! :angry:

It's mid-January and *still* nothing new on the NHS website(s). Nil. Zilch. Niente.

I am fit to bust with the anticipation!!

Anyone else finding the wait a struggle??
Reply 1130
If your're applying this year then I assume (although I don't know for sure so don't quote me) that you will be on the old training scheme anyway, unless you're applying to a pilot site for the new scheme.

You're wrong on that one Mbob. Its definitely the new training scheme for applicants this year. Which is why we're still waiting. Also the Msc would be delivered over 1 or 2 years, not 3. Simply because Uni's aren't set up to run the courses like that. But there might be flexibility over final projects.

It's mid-January and *still* nothing new on the NHS website(s). Nil. Zilch. Niente.

its painfully slow :frown:
but hopefully they'll put stuff up by the end of the month! lol
Original post by sbarron
http://www.westmidlands.nhs.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=f0epGJeSG4s%3D&tabid=1262&mid=3251

if you go to page 10 or 11 of this powerpoint it tells you how the scheme will be set out... these are for engineering and physics but the same applies structure applies for the others too.

Hey there, thank you for the link.

Now I don't know if this is true but it seems like the MSc is gained after 3 years, as opposed to 2 years before. Which means, we won't be able to apply to band 7 jobs after 3 years now.

This is worrying seeing as we'll graduate later, career progress later, for those who want to do p.hd will also graduate later.

Who else is worried about this? (I know it's just one year...but still...)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1132
The opening for application seems to now be 24 Feb which is stated on the IPEM website

http://www.ipem.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Training/Scientist/STP%20timetable.pdf
Reply 1133
Original post by louisecc
You're wrong on that one Mbob. Its definitely the new training scheme for applicants this year. Which is why we're still waiting. Also the Msc would be delivered over 1 or 2 years, not 3. Simply because Uni's aren't set up to run the courses like that. But there might be flexibility over final projects.

its painfully slow :frown:
but hopefully they'll put stuff up by the end of the month! lol

Yep, my mistake, I had a chat to some people in the know, the plan is that 2011 intake will all be on on STP.

I've also heard (unofficially on the grapevine, it's not gospel) that people should be prepared for a delay of at least a month in the adverts for medical physics posts (not sure about the others). People may have noticed that some planned open days have been cancelled as well (for example in Leeds, http://www.medphysics.leeds.ac.uk/nhs/careers.html).
Graduate SK I also want to do genetics
Has anybody heard of any open days or will they be post advertisement of posts

Thanks SMED for the link to the IPEM website, I have been checking every day since the 14th of January :frown:
Wow so now were waiting till next week? what about the posts which are already on the NHS jobs website? The closing date for those is early Feb when this IPEM thing is saying we cant apply until 24th of February? or is that just for medical physics? I'm so confused! They are completly messing us around here, every other year applications have been done in October/ November!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1136
i think its all clinical scientists. the idea behind changing the way they recruit was to make sure every type of clinical scientist is recruited in the same way, with all the deadlines at the same time.

its annoying having to wait longer :frown:
but at least we've got a timeline now and a date for when you'll get a yes/no to getting onto the scheme!
Reply 1137
Hi everyone.

They have changed the NHS careers website to say that the application process doesn't start until February now (just to confirm what the IPEM website says).
Are any of you currently applying to master programmes as well? You know, just in case, you don't get on any trainee scheme.]

Master programmes should be less competitive than job positions right? How many would you recommend applying to for good measure? 3, 4 unis?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by owpowpowp
Are any of you currently applying to master programmes as well? You know, just in case, you don't get on any trainee scheme.]

Master programmes should be less competitive than job positions right? How many would you recommend applying to for good measure? 3, 4 unis?

Not really, because of the job crisis in this country, more people are opting to stay in education as long as they can in the hope that when they finish more jobs will be around. Absolutely everything is competitive now - thanks coalition government :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending