The Student Room Group

OCR Salters F334 Chemistry of Materials (26/01/2011)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by xPixie
Definitely! If you've done everything you can, just rest. Or read the revision guide for some ''light reading'' :tongue: Haha! Or just watch some TV! Then revise again.. HAHA! :biggrin:

Yeah, that's exactly what I do. Though sometimes I just read an exam paper and think of the answer in my head and look at the mark scheme, I hate writing the day before my exam because I get stressed.
Reply 61
Do we have to know NMR in detail for this exam?
Reply 62
Original post by gozatron
Do we have to know NMR in detail for this exam?

NO! That's the old spec! :smile: It's in F335.
Reply 63
Thanks mate.
Does anyone know what new stuff is in this specification compared to the old spec? Because I'm doing past papers from the old spec and want to know if its got anything missing!!

Also does anyone know what stuff has been taken out of the new spec compared to the old one?

Thanks!
Reply 65
Original post by Darthdevidem
Does anyone know what new stuff is in this specification compared to the old spec? Because I'm doing past papers from the old spec and want to know if its got anything missing!!

Also does anyone know what stuff has been taken out of the new spec compared to the old one?

Thanks!

I remember this guy at my school saying, he seemed to have memorised the whole spec, that the complexes they ask you to draw only ranges from a couple, they can't ask you to write out the formula for potassium oxide and calcium oxide (specific one I remember, 'coz he screwed at me for asking the class that question :rolleyes: ), NMR is deffo not in it, K stab, and equilibirum constant isn't in it (it's in AI), nitrogen cycle isn't in it (don't know whether it was in the old spec..).

Sorry, that's all I can remember atm, I'll post again if I find out some more..
Reply 66
Hey, Do we need to know about how steel is made from chemical storylines for the exam?
Reply 67
Original post by cORBO3
Hey, Do we need to know about how steel is made from chemical storylines for the exam?

I believe so. There have been a couple of past paper questions relating to the blast furnace, although they seem to generally be a couple of short questions (eg. why is scrap steel added) rather than 5-7 mark questions.
Reply 68
Original post by cORBO3

I asked my teacher about this and he said you only really need to know why steel is added; recycling/acts a coolant, and how they remove impurities(i.e Carbon by oxidising it) and Magnesium(by reacting it off with sulphur Mg + S ---> MgS)
Reply 69
Original post by sikitysix
Has anyone been doing much from storylines :s

Not for SS :s-smilie: Which I'm guessing is one of the most important and informative one from storylines. I've done all of WM & MR though.. :s-smilie: Just read through the Salters revisiong guide, it tells you which parts in Storylines is essential to learn :smile:
Reply 70
Okay I feel mega embarrassed but,
NMR :frown:
How do you figure it out LOL
Soo say i have

CH3COH (ethanal)
There would be 3 protons in the CH3 environment
And 1 proton in the C=OH environment
???

And you just look at the chemical shifts on the data sheet
???

I haven't done MUCH storylines, flicking through it on Tuesday!!
I didn't use storylines at all last year didn't realise how important it was LOL
Reply 71
Original post by Ro27
Okay I feel mega embarrassed but,
NMR :frown:
How do you figure it out LOL
Soo say i have

CH3COH (ethanal)
There would be 3 protons in the CH3 environment
And 1 proton in the C=OH environment
???

And you just look at the chemical shifts on the data sheet
???

I haven't done MUCH storylines, flicking through it on Tuesday!!
I didn't use storylines at all last year didn't realise how important it was LOL

Wrong exam, not on the syllabus anymore. NMR comes up in chemistry by design exam.
Reply 72
Does high temperature disrupt the hydrogen bonding in the active site and pH the ionic interactions?
Or is this revision guide lying to me?
Reply 73
Original post by frogman22
Does high temperature disrupt the hydrogen bonding in the active site and pH the ionic interactions?
Or is this revision guide lying to me?

The revision guide is always right. High temperature disrupts hydrogen bonding in the active site because the electrons have more thermal energy which would be needed to break these bonds. PH changes the ions, at it's isoelectric point is the PH when it turns into a zwitterion if the PH changes the ion would change to either (COO- and NH2) or (NH3+and COOH), the ion changes therefore the ionic interactions will also change.
Hope that helps :wink:
Reply 74
Hey everyone, I made a PowerPoint that follows the whole syllabus exactly for the F334 exam on Wednesday. Someone might find it useful to flick through.

It is 468 slides but it's designed to have very little on each slide (bitesize chunks). It's got a timer of 5 seconds per slide which you can change.

I had to upload it externally because of the file size:

http://www.4shared.com/file/WNZbwdEU/Entire_chem_exam.html
Reply 75
Original post by jam277
The revision guide is always right. High temperature disrupts hydrogen bonding in the active site because the electrons have more thermal energy which would be needed to break these bonds. PH changes the ions, at it's isoelectric point is the PH when it turns into a zwitterion if the PH changes the ion would change to either (COO- and NH2) or (NH3+and COOH), the ion changes therefore the ionic interactions will also change.
Hope that helps :wink:

Cheers
Reply 76
Original post by frogman22
Wrong exam, not on the syllabus anymore. NMR comes up in chemistry by design exam.

I'm about to blow my top.
I said to my teacher NMR isn't in the spec but he still taught it for TWO WEEKS and convinced us NMR comes up

FFS.
Reply 77
Original post by Ro27
I'm about to blow my top.
I said to my teacher NMR isn't in the spec but he still taught it for TWO WEEKS and convinced us NMR comes up

FFS.

I don't understand how a teacher can teach the wrong thing to you, he should just look at the CGP book and teach from there.
Reply 78
Original post by sikitysix
Has anyone been doing much from storylines :s

yh i have. I have done all my notes on storylines for every module. If you do your storylines work, you understand your chemical ideas much more fluently. Thats the whole point of that resource.

And you maybe thinking while reading storylines, what am i going to do with all this unnecessary information, but you'd be surprised to wonder to wonder how much that unnecessary information comes up. When it comes to applying your knowledge to new information, its the storylines for you. :smile:))
Reply 79
Original post by jam277
I don't understand how a teacher can teach the wrong thing to you, he should just look at the CGP book and teach from there.

Grrrrrrr I think he just got mucked up a bit because we started off doing analytical techniques at the start of the year
So infrared, thin-layer, mass spec and he went through NMR too!
Ah well too late now isn't it.
I'm just going to speed through my CGP book/Storylines/Flash cards on Tuesday and hope for the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending