The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If Walcott and RVP are fit, with Cesc and Nasri we can pull off a shocker. I'm giving us a 30% chance to progress, tbh, but their defense lacks pace... If we can play a clever counter-attacking game and soak up any of their pressure, we can beat them on the breakaway no problem.
Original post by JK.
We do, but the defence doesn't look great without Vermaelen to sure things up and Clichy is a constant liability at lb, add Sagna's suspension to that and there's a definite problem. Playing against weaker sides who we can dominate, this doesn't show, but against Barca it obviously will. We need everybody to stay fit and be on form to have a decent chance, really.

Barca fan? :holmes:

Ya, used to live there. Great city, better football club. :wink:

Original post by RobbieC
If Walcott and RVP are fit, with Cesc and Nasri we can pull off a shocker. I'm giving us a 30% chance to progress, tbh, but their defense lacks pace... If we can play a clever counter-attacking game and soak up any of their pressure, we can beat them on the breakaway no problem.

Beat them no problem? Fair enough that's the tactics you should employ, as Barca will still monopolise possession. The thing is, Walcott has to make intelligent runs, as the Barca defense will leave space in behind them, but they are intelligent against the counter too. Watch how they played against Madrid, Ronaldo/ Di Maria/ Marcelo, these are all pacey pacey players, but they were useless for the most part. Walcott has the ability to rape the Barca backline, IF he is intelligent about his runs.
Counter attacking football would be the way to go, trying to dominate possession would be fruitless, unless you could get a decent chunk of it.

Should be a decent game anyway, maybe you should sign a player to striker the fear of God into them, a Wes Brown type.
Original post by Colonel.
Counter attacking football would be the way to go, trying to dominate possession would be fruitless, unless you could get a decent chunk of it.

Should be a decent game anyway, maybe you should sign a player to striker the fear of God into them, a Wes Brown type.

Counter attacking football is completely the wrong way to go, how on earth can you say otherwise?

You think that the best tactics would be to let the best attacking team the world has ever seen have the vast majority of possession against our defence?
Reply 2104
JK.
OP
Except for the defence, the vast majority of Barca players go to close down the opposition for about 5 seconds after losing the ball, before moving back into shape, it proves very effective for them as the opposing defence often crumble, leaving them extremely vulnerable to a large group of hugely talented players. If we manage not to crumble, we can try and take advantage of the gaps, but yeh we will need to make intelligent runs and make some fantastic passes. If they do take control, as expected, we'd be best off with Cesc sitting a lot deeper than normal, if we can get the ball to him, he can pick out the balls to Nasri/Theo/RvP further up, their combined effort can be enough against the high line Barca will play, but they've got to move so quickly and intelligently to make sure it will be enough.

Original post by RobbieC
x

Check your facebook, tbh. :colonhash:
Arsenal should thoroughly beat Barcelona, they've been lucky this entire season.
Original post by TommyWannabe
Counter attacking football is completely the wrong way to go, how on earth can you say otherwise?

You think that the best tactics would be to let the best attacking team the world has ever seen have the vast majority of possession against our defence?

If it's good counter-attacking football, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Barca will get around 65% possession anyway.
Reply 2107
JK.
OP

How do you propose we go about the game?
Original post by JK.
How do you propose we go about the game?

By not intentionally matching their biggest strength with our biggest weakness, for a start.

Our strength lies in midfield, so that's where the ball needs to be.
Aye, just pass it around midfield. That'll work :rolleyes:
Reply 2110
JK.
OP
By not intentionally matching their biggest strength with our biggest weakness, for a start.

Our strength lies in midfield, so that's where the ball needs to be.

So you want our midfield to play keepball as far away from our defence as possible?
Oh yeah, Arshavin shouldn't play in either of the legs. I feel he doesn't work hard enough, which everyone will need to do against Barca.
Reply 2112
JK.
OP
Oh yeah, Arshavin shouldn't play in either of the legs. I feel he doesn't work hard enough, which everyone will need to do against Barca.

Whilst he's generally considered a big game player, I'm sure everyone would agree with that. We'll need Theo against Barca, so the question comes down to Arsh or Nasri, where there's not even any real decision to be made.
Aye, just pass it around midfield. That'll work :rolleyes:

Sarcasm? Good one moron.

I think it's fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain that passing it around the midfield is not what is meant by 'midfield is our biggest strength, so that's where the ball needs to be.'

Of course, I can understand how someone like you might find this difficult, given that your solution to dealing with the best attacking team ever is to let them have the ball as much as they want, then just jump in to action when they get bored.
Original post by JK.
Whilst he's generally considered a big game player, I'm sure everyone would agree with that. We'll need Theo against Barca, so the question comes down to Arsh or Nasri, where there's not even any real decision to be made.

I feel he could make an impact as a sub, as he is a big game player, but wouldn't give him a start.

The wingers need to do what Inter did and close down the wingbacks like no tomorrow.
Sarcasm? Good one moron.

I think it's fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain that passing it around the midfield is not what is meant by 'midfield is our biggest strength, so that's where the ball needs to be.'

Of course, I can understand how someone like you might find this difficult, given that your solution to dealing with the best attacking team ever is to let them have the ball as much as they want, then just jump in to action when they get bored.

What's your idea then? All you've said is that the midfield is the strongest area.
Wilshere vs Busquets is going to be:coma:, a no nonsense, super-talented GEL vs a pussy diving bastard who also has considerable talent :colonhash:

I don't see how you are supposed to play vs Barca if not with the counter attack. Inter did it their way but there's no point in us trying to imitate that. Look at Germany in the WC semi-final, for instance; their strength was not in defence but they had to counter attack because it's impossible to get as much possession as Barca/Spain do. It would have worked if Podolski hadn't ****ed up a 1-2 with Ozil and maybe if Ramos' foul on Ozil had been given in the box. I know Spain and Barca aren't exactly the same but the style pretty much is.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by milkytea
Wilshere vs Busquets is going to be:coma:, a no nonsense, super-talented GEL vs a pussy diving bastard who also has considerable talent :colonhash:

Rofl, Busquets would walk into any starting XI in the world right now. His antics are no worse than what you'll find in any top level team these days.

Original post by whatthedirac
Rofl, Busquets would walk into any starting XI in the world right now. His antics are no worse than what you'll find in any top level team these days.

He's a great player, I never said otherwise, did I? I would say that his antics are worse than most, actually.
Reply 2119
JK.
OP
What's your idea then? All you've said is that the midfield is the strongest area.

I doubt you'll get an answer.

He seems to be suggesting that we should focus on dominating the midfield and staying away from defence. Unless we had control for 90minutes, the defence, which he rightly identifies as the weakest area of our side (imo), would be open to the counter from their attack, which he also rightly identifies as the best attack in the world (imo). Our defence would get raped on the counter by Barca. If we play counter attacking as you suggested, it gives the defence more cover from the midfield, as opposed to just being open to a potential onslaught.

Parking the bus is the wrong way of going about things, we'd just be asking to be bombarded, but to attempt to dominate the game high up the field would just be foolish. We need to find some sort of medium whereby the midfield can provide good cover for the defence, but we can quickly move into attack and take advantage of the gaps in the Barca defence.

Latest