The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by SaltyPiratePony
Sussex uni doesn't have a football team :frown: We used to collaborate with "Brighton Tsunami" - Gay name, but now we cant due to some single institution rule. Guess they never got round to making one here. Sucks, i'd be a sweet TE. :biggrin:

I hope that doesn't effect all teams with two universities comprising one team :sad:

Otherwise, I don't think I'll be able to play.
Reply 641
Original post by Mann18
Any idea how competitive it is? My friend goes to Huddersfield, and he pretty much walked onto the team (not the most active guy either, and as a LB.)
I wouldn't mind being second string QB for a while, as I'm not good enough for starter. :moon:

Everyone will get in most teams. It's just a matter of hard work and learning the game and play book.

They aren't strict on cutting players because they know nearly everyone who played it at uni was new.
Reply 642
Original post by kingkev
I'm not totally clued up about college football but I know a bit.

I'm thinking Andrew Luck should have entered the draft, I'm pretty sure he would have been the number 1 pick.
Where do you think Cam Newton will go?

Late reply...
When it comes to Cam I personally doubt he will have the smoothest of transitions from NCAA to NFL will be, yes he is an exceptionally good player but having one excellent year in college is no all out coup. Plenty of quarterbacks before Newton have done so and then gone on to mediocrity.

Look at the excerpt from a blog I found and summarised, that has its points:
"Newton only have a single year of starting experience and he was only required to throw 20 passes per game, 280 pass attempts during that one year. Those 280 passes are just too small to gauge a college quarterback's pro prospects. No NFL team is going to have great success throwing only 20 times a game, which is all Newton is familiar with. In addition to this there is evidence that suggests the more times Newton was asked to throw, the worse he got as a quarterback."
I hope this doesn't happen to cameron though as if he works hard enough he could potentially be a strong force in the NFL, in answer to the original question though, mid-early first round pick?

P.S I tend to leave suddenly a lot which is why you might see me replying to a quote days later.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 643
I'm not gonna lie, you'll get slammed into any position you play.

I don't mind being slammed into, it's the behind part that worries me.
Like, in rugby, being tackled from behind isn't bad, but in American Football, as a WR, you catch a ball, someone is allowed to lauch into your back.
Just freaks me out a little bit.

Original post by RNBen
:teehee:

Yeah, the only issue I really foresee is that the level of ability is going to be quite low, so playing at WR means you will rarely make a catch if you run anything in excess of 30 yards. I can't see too many QBs in the teams being the English answer to Jay Cutler.

Spoiler

Grow up :p:

I agree, I don't think many teams will be pass heavy if any. I saw some clips of a game on Sky Sports, and it seems to be 95% run, 5% play action.
Have to play to your strengths I suppose.

Spoiler

Reply 644
I'm gonna go for RB or WR.... Preferably WR though hopefully! :smile: Gonna buy my own pads, heck if I'm renting used pads from uni :smile:
Sussex uni doesn't have a football team :frown: We used to collaborate with "Brighton Tsunami" - Gay name, but now we cant due to some single institution rule. Guess they never got round to making one here. Sucks, i'd be a sweet TE. :biggrin:

Original post by RNBen
QB would probably suit me, can throw a ball well, however I would probably also try out for WR. Maybe TE if I get a little bigger over summer. :smile:

Original post by Mann18
Genius.

Also, I'd try out for WR, but I've played it when messing around with friends, and I can imagine it being 100 times worse when you're playing really as the helmet really restricts your vision, and I don't wish to be slammed into from behind.

Think I'll try out for Safety/QB/CB. Not the biggest guy around in height or girth, but hell, I'll go out there and try my luck.

I'm not gonna lie, you'll get slammed into any position you play.

Original post by RNBen
:teehee:

Yeah, the only issue I really foresee is that the level of ability is going to be quite low, so playing at WR means you will rarely make a catch if you run anything in excess of 30 yards. I can't see too many QBs in the teams being the English answer to Jay Cutler.

Spoiler

Original post by Mann18
I hope that doesn't effect all teams with two universities comprising one team :sad:

Original post by TSR-MATT
I think I'll try out for DB when I go to university.

I think it's a kind of position when your skill set can make up for your athletic disadvantages (size, speed etc.).

Original post by jimbles
Everyone will get in most teams. It's just a matter of hard work and learning the game and play book.

They aren't strict on cutting players because they know nearly everyone who played it at uni was new.

I do, I see the QB turnovers being quite high :wink:.

If one of can, start a thread in the group about uni ball and bafa football and ask some questions. I have played bafa ball and i have friends in UNI ball so i can tell you about what it's like.
Reply 646
I think I'll try out for DB when I go to university.

I think it's a kind of position when your skill set can make up for your athletic disadvantages (size, speed etc.).

Agreed, especially at the level we'll be playing at, I don't think anyone is expecting us to be Polamalu :p:

Original post by jimbles

Ah right, but is "making the team" akin to "actually playing?"
And what if like, 6 people try out for QB, surely they can't keep them all? Or does the coach slot some of the not as good QBs into other positions?
Reply 647
You guys are right though, a lot of plays at uni I've been told are running plays.
Original post by RNBen
Have requested to join. :smile:

Have added this thread as an associated thread too.

Thanks. I put it on automatically accept so your in.

Why do you get "Leader" next to your name and we get nothing. I'm outraged. MUTINY I TELLS YA.

And yeah :P I know!
Reply 649

Touché.

Original post by Mann18
I don't mind being slammed into, it's the behind part that worries me.
Like, in rugby, being tackled from behind isn't bad, but in American Football, as a WR, you catch a ball, someone is allowed to lauch into your back.
Just freaks me out a little bit.

Grow up :p:

I agree, I don't think many teams will be pass heavy if any. I saw some clips of a game on Sky Sports, and it seems to be 95% run, 5% play action.
Have to play to your strengths I suppose.

Spoiler

To my advantage I am a mature student at uni, thus I will have the size and strength on most of the 18 year olds. Obviously 1 or 2 will be freakish, but I think a large majority of them won't be able to take a hit.
Reply 650
Original post by Mann18
Agreed, especially at the level we'll be playing at, I don't think anyone is expecting us to be Polamalu :p:

Ah right, but is "making the team" akin to "actually playing?"
And what if like, 6 people try out for QB, surely they can't keep them all? Or does the coach slot some of the not as good QBs into other positions?

they try to get everyone to play. Obviously the better ones will get more game time, but they'll make sure you're all used. The coach will reccomend positions to the other 4 lets say.
Reply 651
Original post by jimbles
they try to get everyone to play. Obviously the better ones will get more game time, but they'll make sure you're all used. The coach will reccomend positions to the other 4 lets say.

This really.

It works much like the 'soccer' team works, you essentially pick your position, then they make sure you play in that position at least once. Not everyone gets in to the teams though.
Reply 652
Original post by S129439
x

Where you want the university ball thread? Just in uni gen?
Reply 653
Original post by RNBen
This really.

It works much like the 'soccer' team works, you essentially pick your position, then they make sure you play in that position at least once. Not everyone gets in to the teams though.

Yeah basically. They'll look at you in training and they might go actually, you'll make a better TE than a safety for example because notice you have the requirements for that position... so when you go just say your ideal one, then after a few sessions ask the coach what he thinks :smile:
Reply 654
Original post by RNBen
To my advantage I am a mature student at uni, thus I will have the size and strength on most of the 18 year olds. Obviously 1 or 2 will be freakish, but I think a large majority of them won't be able to take a hit.

Ah, a sizable WR would do well I think, but I'd assume they'd ask you to be a TE if they intend on running the ball all the time.
I agree, I don't think many players would be able to take a full on vicious hit (I would, but I mean, I'm badass.)

Original post by jimbles

Ah right, that's all right then :p:
Thanks, makes it less of a gamble, as although I'd prefer to be one of those positions, as long as I get to play, I don't mind.
Original post by munn
Really?
Manning hasn't benefitted from an extraordinary offence or fantastic coaching, yet he's a 4 time MVP, and by 2015 will probably have broken Favre's touchdown and completed passes records.
Even if he retired right now he's a lock for first ballot hall of fame, and as far as quarterbacks go there are at most 3 or 4 quarterbacks better than him in history, Montana and Young are the only two that really stand out for me, and with Bill Walsh as a coach and (for half of Montana's career anyway) Jerry Rice to pass to, it's not particularly difficult to make a case for Manning being their equal.
Yes his playoff record is nowhere near impressive, but that's because the Colts as a team aren't superbowl calibre. Make no mistake, if Manning was at a different team, the Colts would have been about as successful as the Bengals have been over the last decade.

In bold is bad. Manning has had an incredible offense around him. His receivers have accounted for 19 pro-bowls whereas Brady's receivers only 4. Manning also had a far dominant pass game so there weren't many runs detracting from his passing yards whereas Brady has had multiple 1000 yard running backs taking away his throwing opportunities yet he still gets huge yardage numbers a year.

And the same as Favre, if you stick a decent QB in a pass heavy offense for 20 years you are going to get huge totals.

And success wise you could say that about lots of teams. The Patriots, 49ers, Colts, Saints would never have any Superbowls. Besides the Colts defense has been as good as the Patriots in the play-offs. Most of the Colts play-off losses have come as a result of Manning choking. Eg Superbowl 44 when he threw a pick 6 when he was being relied on to be clutch.
Reply 656
Original post by Mann18
Ah, a sizable WR would do well I think, but I'd assume they'd ask you to be a TE if they intend on running the ball all the time.
I agree, I don't think many players would be able to take a full on vicious hit (I would, but I mean, I'm badass.)

Thanks, makes it less of a gamble, as although I'd prefer to be one of those positions, as long as I get to play, I don't mind.

yeah same here, even though I would prefer WR or RB!! :smile:
Original post by RNBen
Where you want the university ball thread? Just in uni gen?

wherever. sports, uni general discussion. idc. just aslong as it isn't too obscure
Reply 658
Original post by Mann18

Yeah, don't worry about it, most people won't have an idea what they are talking about when they mention Linebacker, etc. So you have an advantage straight away. By the way, don't think by mature student I mean I am 40, I am only 24. :tongue:

Also, I have just added you on PSN.
Original post by Mann18

Unfortunately it does. Two insitutions cannot form one team. Was introduced this year as well. LET DOWN.

Latest