The Student Room Group

GUYS: Stretch marks a huge turn off? Please answer honestly

I have stretch marks, some red and a load of silver ones. I look okay with clothes but am going to be sleeping with new bf soon and am feeling very worried about my skin.

Should I get that heavy concealer stuff you can get to cover scars?
Or are strechmarks not that big a deal?

I know people are going to say 'if your boyfriend is worth keeping he won't mind' etc. etc. but I really don't think it's that simple. If he's not attracted to me when he sees my strech marks it's kind of a problem!! (even though he is a nice guy etc.)

Would appreciate any advice...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where are the stretch marks? :s-smilie: if that isn't too personal.
If you're really nervous it could be a big deal and you're embarrassed then cover them up. If you feel confident with them on show then don't. I think opinions will differ from guy to guy but I think most won't like them tbh.
Good luck with whatever you decide! :smile:
Reply 2
Almost everyone has got stretch marks, yeh its not great for confidence, believe me i know. However you just need to be yourself, and if guys are turned off by it then they dont deserve your time.
Pretty much every girl has stretch marks. If you are really bothered by some bio-oil. It's quite price-y and you have to use it constantly for a few months but it does help.

My Ex was never bothered. I think i thought the stretch marks were really obvious, but i don't think he really noticed them.
Reply 4
thats what you get for having baby/s
Reply 5
I have some the silver ones you can barely see at all. I have some red ones now and I'm hoping that they fade aswell as the old ones and that it wasn't just a lucky fluke.

where are your they? and how much is loads?
shag in darkness.
Reply 7
Silver ones? :lolwut:

... and no, I very much doubt it'd be a big deal.
Well I can assure you that he isn't going to run out the bedroom screaming when he sees your stretch marks. I know I definitely wouldn't care.
Reply 9
I don't find them exactly attractive on a girl, but I also know that the vast majority of the female population have them and that it'd be daft to make a decision on someone's attractiveness based around something like that.

No man is going to go from 'excellent, sex!' to 'eww, no' based on stretch marks alone.
It probably wont be a big deal, he would be horny if you're about to have sex and he wouldn't care if he saw one or two stretch marks. but since you're so worried can i ask how bad the stretch marks are and how many do you have.
Reply 11
I have stretch marks on my chest and trust me it hasn't stopped any guy having some fun! I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, but if you want to hide them then i suggest soft lighting for e.g candles and maybe a light layer of a liquid foundation over them. Fake tan is supposed to hide stretch marks but I don't think it would taste very nice ;-)
Also think about it this way...would you care if your bf had stretch marks? Would it make you suddenly find him unattractive? If a guy finds you attractive and wants to go out with you it isn't based purely on physical appearance..you know how lyou'll meet a really good-looking guy but after 5mins theyre so unattractive because they act like a ****? Well same thing for guys! Taking off your top to find stretch marks isn't going to turn him off you! I'd suggest you make a comment to him that you're worried about him not liking your body and im pretty sure his response will reassure you :-)
I don't think you'll find anyone that will say 'ooh I love it when a girl has stretch marks' but most won't give a ****!! So all the best!! xx
Reply 12
Most guys don't even know what they are, let alone notice them. Lets face it, if you're naked in front of him, the last place he'll be looking is your stetch marks!

The sexiest thing to a guy is confidence so try and forget about them and just enjoy it!
And by the way, pretty much all girls have stretch marks, you're are not alone!
(Sorry I'm not a guy but I couldn't resist posting a reply to this :L)
Reply 13
I think it's more a case of if you care really. If they bother you cover them up. if they don't, don't worry about it. As for him, he most likely wouldn't care less and if he does, I'm sorry but he isn't worth your time. It is that simple. If he has not one single scar, mole, freckle etc on his skin and is mr flawless then it's one thing (although still shouldn't make a difference) but chances are he isn't, we all have imperfections and stretch marks are very common
I have some from the gym, so it would be hypocritical of me to judge anyone else for having them. Also If I was about to sleep with someone and I was attracted to them enough to get to the stage of almost sleeping with them, they would probably have to have a set of balls to put me off.
Ugh get over it. I know that's harsh, but seriously, there's nothing you can do so you may aswell accept them. They are there for life - though they will fade over time.

Plus, if you are about to sleep with a guy, I reckon stretch marks are the last thing on his mind.......guys get self conscious too I bet, and they also get stretch marks :yep:
Reply 16
Original post by The Stig
Silver ones? :lolwut:

It's not that odd :P I have some on my hips; they're loads paler than my skin (and I'm really pale anyway) so they look kind of white/silverish.

OP, I have quite a few and my bf didn't even realise I had any until I mentioned it! I think they're more focused on other stuff :wink:
Original post by berryboysh
thats what you get for having baby/s

Or going through puberty. You do realise that pregnancy is NOT the only reason for stretch marks.

OP: Most people have stretch marks to some degree, just be confident with yourself and embrace it, they won't ever go so there's no point in worrying.
Reply 18
Original post by CoffeeStinks
Or going through puberty. You do realise that pregnancy is NOT the only reason for stretch marks.

OP: Most people have stretch marks to some degree, just be confident with yourself and embrace it, they won't ever go so there's no point in worrying.

I didn't know that tbh. How long does it take for a half inch scar to fade caused by glass. Mine hasn't really faded in the past 12 months since I got it.
Original post by berryboysh
I didn't know that tbh. How long does it take for a half inch scar to fade caused by glass. Mine hasn't really faded in the past 12 months since I got it.

Yeah stretch marks are caused from stretching the skin too quickly so a sudden growth spurt, weight gain or pregnancy can all cause it. Also using steroids thins skin and makes stretch marks more likely.

Umm I'm not too sure actually, I had a glass cut when I was five about 1cm wide and 1 inch deep, it's still there 13 years later.

So yours will depend on how deep it was and whether it was a clean cut. You could try those scar fading creams but I'm not too sure if they really work.