The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Could anyone give the the outline of the course structure at St Andrew's, specifically what topics are covered in foundations of medicine 1 and 2? Also does St Andrew's stick to the traditional lecture based teaching method, or has it incorporated PBL to a degree? cheers
Original post by ukcathater
90%Scottish before christmas..........great!:frown:

:hug:

I'm annoyed as well, more so for you!:frown:
Reply 542
Original post by ryan118244
Haha thanks :wink: so do I, I soooo badly want to go to St Andrews! It's quite funny though because I sent them a letter of recomendation I got from a surgeon I did work experience with, he also teaches medicine .. so that could be why?! I hope St Andrews dont look at me GCSEs too much. I found out though that they interview people with higher UKCATs first.

I hope you get an interview as well! Where else have u applied, heard from anywhere else?

haha hello again, i didn't know you were allowed to send a letter of recommendation to the admission tutors is that fair??
Reply 543
Original post by maemg
haha hello again, i didn't know you were allowed to send a letter of recommendation to the admission tutors is that fair??

My tutor said I should just send it to all my choices, so I did, St Andrews seemed to be the only place that acknowledged it though. I don't know whether they even looked at it though.
Well I'm a reapplicant, so anything I can do to get me an offer ... I will!
Reply 544
cool what type of work experience did you do? i'm hoping to volunteer as a porter during the summer!! and get my usual work experience through school
Reply 545
Original post by maemg
cool what type of work experience did you do? i'm hoping to volunteer as a porter during the summer!! and get my usual work experience through school

Oh that would be great!

I did tonnes really haha, I did some at a GP, carehome, I've been volunteering at the hospital for 2 years on the geriatric and childrens wards, I also volunteer on the labs and I volunteered for a maxiolfacial surgeon. I did a observership programme at the hospital and got to go on radiology and all over the place including administrative side and I also shadowed an ENT surgeon. I also did a week with a vascular surgeon and helped in operations. I've also worked with the charity vitalise going to a residential camp for the disabled in Essex. I also went to north Africa in the summer to help at orphanages and teach English. And I also volunteer in a psychiatric hospital. I went a bit overboard haha
I forgot, I also volunteer at the hospice and I was part of st johns ambulance.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 546
Oh that would be great!

I did tonnes really haha, I did some at a GP, carehome, I've been volunteering at the hospital for 2 years on the geriatric and childrens wards, I also volunteer on the labs and I volunteered for a maxiolfacial surgeon. I did a observership programme at the hospital and got to go on radiology and all over the place including administrative side and I also shadowed an ENT surgeon. I also did a week with a vascular surgeon and helped in operations. I've also worked with the charity vitalise going to a residential camp for the disabled in Essex. I also went to north Africa in the summer to help at orphanages and teach English. And I also volunteer in a psychiatric hospital. I went a bit overboard haha

holy god !!! :eek: all i'v done so far is volunteer for st johns ambulance , carehome and coach and teach children to sail during the summer and charity work for the nspcc!!
Oh that would be great!

i've done like next to nothing, compared to you :erm:
Original post by spacepirate-James
i've done like next to nothing, compared to you :erm:

that doesn't matter not that you have a place!:p:D
I still haven't received an interview :frown: Do you think any more interview invites are on their way? :biggrin:
Reply 550
Original post by Anterior view
Helped in operations?????? Where does the hospital stand legally there if you did something by accident Was the patient aware? Did you scrub up properly?????Was there nobody else around that they had to use a volunteer?

Well I was CRB checked and I was treated like a meical student, so a medical student would be no more knowledgeable than what I was. I was with a surgeon who teaches medical students from Oxford and Bristol as well as with another surgeon and a whole theatre staff. Of course I scrubbed in properly, the theatre staff taught me and as the Oxford students they didn't know how to scrub in properly either, they needed just as much help as I did.
As for the operation he taught me like a med student and I helped pass instrents, cut stitches, he taught to feel inside the body for certain parts etc and I got to pull out veins from legs which you can be very rough with anyway.
Reply 551
Original post by maemg
holy god !!! :eek: all i'v done so far is volunteer for st johns ambulance , carehome and coach and teach children to sail during the summer and charity work for the nspcc!!

Oh cool I was part of st johns ambulance as well. But uve done loads so I wouldn't worry, I am a reapplicant sonic had like twice the time you have had, and I bet you have stronger academics, I did all of that stuff to try to counter my GCSEs
Original post by garlicbreadman
that doesn't matter not that you have a place!:p:D

OR, i'm just showing that you don't need tonnes of WE to get that place :p: for all the people yet to hear anything
Reply 553
OR, i'm just showing that you don't need tonnes of WE to get that place :p: for all the people yet to hear anything

I suppose it actually matters how you present the WE in your PS... right? I mean I suppose they want to see you've actually learnt something... I bet you had a great PS and UKCAT score which made up for any other shortcomings :smile:
Reply 554
Yes but you are not a medical student,and if I were the patient would not want work experience personnel pulling out my veins! Watching the procedure should have been enough. What hospital was this btw?

I think most patients don't care too much if the doctor's helper is a work experience person or a medical student given the fact that they both know about the same amount of practical stuff... Plus patients don't generally ask "who is that?". During my work experience I was taken for the doctor a couple of times. As long as he knew exactly how to do a procedure or as long as he knew where to stop he only did a favor to those he helped. I don't see what is exactly the problem :confused: Surely the doctor would have never let him do dangerous or extremely complicated procedures :smile: I think he should rather get a round of applause for that remarkable work :smile: :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
Reply 555
Yes but you are not a medical student,and if I were the patient would not want work experience personnel pulling out my veins! Watching the procedure should have been enough. What hospital was this btw?

But the fact is a med student would be no better clinically and everyone has to start sometime. The fact is I had a senior surgeon who teaches clinical medicine, how on earth could anything go wrong. Have you ever seen veins being pulled out? The surgeons yank them so hard that the patients legs go everywhere!! Clearly you very naive if you think u could get the same amount of experience out of watching than actually taking part. And as a patient you wouldn't have a choice anyway, it would be the surgeons decision, and if you didn't want anyone to help in an operation how would med students train? The fact is te theatre staff thought I was so competent they thought I was a 6th year med student from Oxford/Bristol, and the fact is I actually did more than the 6th year students anyway which clearly shows I have an aptitude and that I'm able.
It was the great western.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 556
Original post by teafil
I think most patients don't care too much if the doctor's helper is a work experience person or a medical student given the fact that they both know about the same amount of practical stuff... Plus patients don't generally ask "who is that?". During my work experience I was taken for the doctor a couple of times. As long as he knew exactly how to do a procedure or as long as he knew where to stop he only did a favor to those he helped. I don't see what is exactly the problem :confused: Surely the doctor would have never let him do dangerous or extremely complicated procedures :smile: I think he should rather get a round of applause for that remarkable work :smile: :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thank you :smile:
The fact is I proberly know more about the body than a nurse does.

Dissing nurses? I'm sorry but you just lost the medical admission-game.

Please reapply next cycle. :colonhash:
Reply 558
Dissing nurses? I'm sorry but you just lost the medical admission-game.

Please reapply next cycle. :colonhash:

I'm not Dissing nurses though, because they are just as important as doctors and I actually considered becoming a nurse, but there main area is patient healthcare and not knowledge of the body in huge detail, and I have friends who are becoming nurses and they didn't have to do science alevels and are only just now learning in detail at uni.
I have great respect for nurses, and the fact is nurses and doctors have completely different jobs, and I do believe the ICS medical book says that a reason for not wanting to be a nurse is that they don't learn as much scientific detail of the body.
And tbh if that's how u interpreted it then that makes me think that u think less of nurses.
(edited 13 years ago)
But the fact is a med student would be no better clinically and everyone has to start sometime. The fact is I had a senior surgeon who teaches clinical medicine, how on earth could anything go wrong. Have you ever seen veins being pulled out? The surgeons yank them so hard that the patients legs go everywhere!! The fact is I proberly know more about the body than a nurse does.
Clearly you very naive if you think u could get the same amount of experience out of watching than actually taking part. And as a patient you wouldn't have a choice anyway, it would be the surgeons decision, and if you didn't want anyone to help in an operation how would med students train? The fact is te theatre staff thought I was so competent they thought I was a 6th year med student from Oxford, and the fact is I actually did more than the 6th year students anyway which clearly shows I have an aptitude and that I'm able.
It was the great western.

How do you know a med student would be no better?Med students have earned their right to perform these things not "school or gap year teenagers".And yes I have seen it do you know you can damage nerves, cause a fair amount of bleeding,and mistake veins for arteries. Now Im sure the surgeon was watching but this is not the point. Patients not only have choices but have rights !!!
I am certainly not as naive as you if you think what you did was cool!
As for knowing more than the nurses get a life! Theatre nurses have seen this operations hundreds of times and could perform it not only MUCH better than you or the medical students but half of the SHO's
And if you go into medicine taking the higher ground and antagonise the nurses "who you will depend on one day to save your arse" you are not going to be very popular! rant over!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending