The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Anyone heard back for Economics and Industrial Organization at Warwick yet?

Or anyone applied for that course?
Reply 1121
Original post by jessibobs
Also, are we good to go on our own? They don't need parents there do they? :') Please no...

Yes. In fact, if you take parents with you they'll turn them away and your parents won't be able to rejoin you until you are given a tour of the Uni (which is right at the end). In short, there is no point whatsoever taking parents with you.
Reply 1122
Original post by tijuthomas
GCSE: 4A*s 7As.
AS: AAAAA Economics, Business Studies, Maths, Computing, General Studies.
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* Economics, Maths, Computing, General Studies.

Applied to:
LSE (Economics): Acknowledged
Warwick: Acknowledged
Durham: Acknowledged
Nottingham: Acknowledged
St. Andrews: Rejected

I understand I may have aimed way too high. Expecting rejections from LSE and Warwick as well, just really hoping for an offer from Durham or Nottingham. Getting a little bit nervous now.

Perhaps your predicted grades were entered incorrectly. This is rarely the case, but it does happen so perhaps check with your school and then follow up with St. Andrews. Tell them that your academic performance cannot be any better and therefore you were confused by their response considering they said that there were other stronger candidates in terms of academics.
Original post by thesnowman
Yeap! You?

Yeah, see you there :biggrin:
Original post by Shaneel
Perhaps your predicted grades were entered incorrectly. This is rarely the case, but it does happen so perhaps check with your school and then follow up with St. Andrews. Tell them that your academic performance cannot be any better and therefore you were confused by their response considering they said that there were other stronger candidates in terms of academics.

Well the downsides could be,

Not enough A*s GCSE
No Further Maths
Being English
'Only' 3 a levels
Reply 1125
Have many people heard from Bristol for any of the Economics related courses as in the acknowledgement email i received from them they said they'd be considering applications after January 15th and sending out offers by the end of January... beginning to get rather worried as the end of January is nearly here!
Course: economics & maths
university: leeds
offer: aab

first offer, first post :smile:
Original post by suki92
Have many people heard from Bristol for any of the Economics related courses as in the acknowledgement email i received from them they said they'd be considering applications after January 15th and sending out offers by the end of January... beginning to get rather worried as the end of January is nearly here!

I got rejected from Bristol for pure econ on Friday and never received that email
just got rejected
Original post by therockandsock
I got rejected from Bristol for pure econ on Friday and never received that email
just got rejected

Same :biggrin: Did they give you a reason for rejecting you because I didn't get one?
Original post by roger1234
Same :biggrin: Did they give you a reason for rejecting you because I didn't get one?

No I received one of those vague emails that i am no longer being considered

I have emailed them about it and waiting for the response

If you dont mind me asking what sort of grades did you get and are you surprised by the rejection

If you dont mind me asking what sort of grades did you get and are you surprised by the rejection

What are your AS grades/subjects A2 subjects & GCSES? x

Where else have you applied?
L102
manchester
AAB

GCSEs 3A* 7As 1B 1C (ICT LOL)

ASs Maths, Economics, F. Maths, Physics - AABB
Predicted AAA, dropped physics

To be honest it's not really that much of a surprise, as I assume they would send me one of those "you're not academically strong enough" type of replies and I completely understand. I just think that people are getting predicted ridiculously high grades and universities have no choice but to give them on offer, even though many of them will not achieve those high grades.

What about you?
Reply 1133

To be honest it's not really that much of a surprise, as I assume they would send me one of those "you're not academically strong enough" type of replies and I completely understand. I just think that people are getting predicted ridiculously high grades and universities have no choice but to give them on offer, even though many of them will not achieve those high grades.

What about you?

well i have similar gcse's to you and i am predicted AAA too and still got an offer.
Original post by Glen_Nichols
What are your AS grades/subjects A2 subjects & GCSES? x

Where else have you applied?

What about you?

GCSE:8a* 4a's 1B(french)
AS AAABC: Econ Chem Hist and B in Maths (damn m1 brought me down) C in Gen Stud
A2 Pred A*AAA Hist Chem Econ Maths
Also taking AS Further Maths this year and predicted A/B can't remember, took the damn thing just because uni's 'like' further maths
Reply 1135
Original post by Steelers
Anyone heard back for Economics and Industrial Organization at Warwick yet?

Or anyone applied for that course?

Applied for it but not heard anything :smile:
Reply 1136
Original post by englica
Applied for it but not heard anything :smile:

looking at your 2011 spoiler, i see you applied for E&M at oxford and just Management at LSE. I did the same thing, I got a rejection from oxford too, but haven't heard back from LSE. Just wondering what your personal statement was like? Mine is focussed more on economics rather than management so i'm worried LSE will thing i'm not committed to the course and reject me :frown: did your personal statement have a lot of management in it? Also congratulations on the offer from LSE.
Original post by tijuthomas
GCSE: 4A*s 7As.
AS: AAAAA Economics, Business Studies, Maths, Computing, General Studies.
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* Economics, Maths, Computing, General Studies.

Applied to:
LSE (Economics): Acknowledged
Warwick: Acknowledged
Durham: Acknowledged
Nottingham: Acknowledged
St. Andrews: Rejected

I understand I may have aimed way too high. Expecting rejections from LSE and Warwick as well, just really hoping for an offer from Durham or Nottingham. Getting a little bit nervous now.

General Studies, along with critical thinking does not count as a "real" A-Level unfortunately. Yet, schools insist on making it compulsory, even though it's a complete waste of time. Also with computing you're on a bit of a limb there. And the whole choose Business Studies AND Economics, most universities regard it as almost cheating in two subjects that over-lap so much, like doing Classical Civilization and History.

I guess it also depends on your academic ECs, Warwick really values Extended Project over an AS level, and this year is the most competitive. Personally I wouldn't be banking on getting offers from all of them. But good luck!
Original post by Superimpose
thank you for the encouragement. it's so frustrating to have everything come down to something as simple as one sentence on your personal statement that they dislike. i did receive 3 A's at AS however 1 B - and yeah, you guessed it, in Economics (4 UMS off an A, unlucky but there you go). i haven't received an e-mail from Bath to wait after the deadline, only the acknowledgement e-mails. i have also applied to Warwick (first choice, "dream uni") and Loughborough (fifth choice). i guess all i can do is hope for the best right now. even if i am rejected from 1, i'm unlikely to get rejected by all.

side note: anyone know if Loughborough send out acknowledgement e-mails?

Yeah I know how frustrating it is when its a B in Economics, when i saw that on my results sheet the first thing I thought was :confused: is this really my subject?! And then after I calmed down I realised I loved the subject enough and could definately improve :smile: And yeah, once my ps sent I worried about everything I wrote on it, but oh well. Have hope :smile: When my 2nd least competitive choice was my first rejection after 2 months of applying, and my friend predicted AAC (4 grades below me) got an offer from my insurance within 3 weeks (we applied on the same day), I was so worried.. but it's worked out in the end as I have two good offers now, which is arguably all you need :smile: So relax. With your grades I would expect you to get a Loughborough offer, and if you haven't heard yet you haven't been rejected either! So relax!
For those who haven't received offers and are worrying, I am still waiting on:

Warwick L100
Durham L100
Birmingham L100
Leeds L100

Manchester L102 (Unconditional Offer)

Latest

Trending

Trending