The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 4 - Crime and Deviance and Research Methods Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

YAY REVISION!!!!......fml
FML

The amount of content this unit has is really depressing me... ARGH
Predictions, anyone?
Reply 123
my teacher said she thinks a theory question will come up rather than a method because a method question was asked in the june exam - sociology as a science may not come up because it was on the specimen..but of course can't risk it!

in terms of crime and deviance...globalisation and crime and the media came up in june, so doubt they would use those again..so functionalist theories on crime, marxist, realist, suicide all might come up.

methods in context..no idea but there is an item which our teacher said helps more than you think, because it triggers the paragraphs you need to write.

can anybody help with interactionist approaches (weber, goffman etc) im so confused about it and don't have a clue how to write an essay about action theories if it comes up! thanks :smile:
I'm also really confused. How do we approach a 33 mark question on interpretivists/social action? Any ideas? Thanks
'Asses the contribution of different 'action' theories to our understanding of society today' (33 marks)

Examiner's Advice - You should begin by explaining what is meant by 'action' theories, contrasting them with structural approaches. You need to use the appropriate terminology: determinism versus voluntarism, 'top-down' versus 'bottom-up', macro versus micro, objective versus subjective etc. You should refer to all four major theories: social action theory, interactionism, phenomenology and ethnomethodology. However, it is reasonable to focus on one -probably interactionism, ensuring you deal with both labelling theory and Goffman. Refer to the differences between action approaches, especially in relation to how far they give some role to structural factors. A useful way to end is to briefly discuss Giddens' structuration theory - does it bring action and structuralist approaches together or is it a weak compromise?
Original post by zadaafridi
I'm also really confused. How do we approach a 33 mark question on interpretivists/social action? Any ideas? Thanks

You should have a look through this thread..... I explained about Action theories to someone else.....:smile:
For the 12 and 15 Mark questions, should we do a introduction and conclusion and how much should we write??
I feel like not doing the exam tomorrow and doing it in June
Original post by clairelou92
For the 12 and 15 Mark questions, should we do a introduction and conclusion and how much should we write??

I think you need an introduction, as those 'examine' questions are mostly knowledge based but I'd write a little conclusion and not go over the top..but definitely for the 21/33 mark questions you should focus on a good evaluation.
Original post by teaandcoffee
I feel like not doing the exam tomorrow and doing it in June

Me too... Feeling the exact same *sigh*
I take were all cramming currently? aha
I'd like to find someone who'd enjoy this exam
Original post by SeekingBromance

I'd like to find someone who'd enjoy this exam

if you find them, tell them they can sit mine.
Original post by Heleng1991
I take were all cramming currently? aha

Yep, cramming. I have methods, suicide, theory and methods, sociological theory, gender, ethinicity, globalisation.. ALL to do. Tonight is gonna be a late one :wink:
Finally finished revising all of the sections........ But my head hurts so much now!!! :frown:
It's really important to get a good sleep more than anything...
It's really important to get a good sleep more than anything...

People say this, but I'd rather make sure I finish everything than get a good nights sleep and not finish everything. Plus, the way I am feeling right now I doubt I'll even be able to get to sleep. In addition, for all of my exams to date, GCSES, A-Levels, Driving test, LNAT.. I haven't been able to get to sleep before them... and somehow completed them fine.

Woo.
Reply 138
Hi i was just wonderign if anyone eles feels like me...
i should be bothered about this exam because if i do well i would not have to resit in summer which means less pressure but im not-
i have not done enough revision- and i am starting to panick now! I want to do well of course but its too late!
what do people think will come up

Yep, cramming. I have methods, suicide, theory and methods, sociological theory, gender, ethinicity, globalisation.. ALL to do. Tonight is gonna be a late one :wink:

Yup same I sat the exam last year and stupidly agreed to resit, but hey I didn't revise loads last year and passed, I think the best thing to do is just focus on you weak spots get a few theorists drilled into your head and just be calm!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending