The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lastminute123
Well good luck with the others, how were ur gcses and as and predicted?

GCSE : 8A* 3A 1B
AS : 3A 1B
Prediction : 2A* 2A

LSE: rejected
Oxford (wadham): rejected
UCL: rejected

KCL + Warwick : no news so far

sigh... im gonna crack soon
So far I have

Cambridge: A*AA
LSE: A*AA
Queen Mary's : AAA
King's College London: No reply
UCL: Rejected!! (today so gutted kind of wanted them as my back up but oh well life goes on) lol

Hope all you lovely people get your offers!

Kind of worried as I was rejected on the basis of my LNAT so maybe I will get rejected from Kings too :frown:
Original post by anoushka1
So far I have

UCL: Rejected!! (today so gutted kind of wanted them as my back up but oh well life goes on) lol

Kind of worried as I was rejected on the basis of my LNAT so maybe I will get rejected from Kings too :frown:

:frown: sorry to hear about your rejection, some very good offers so far though. Did they tell you what your LNAT score was?
Reply 1783
Original post by smallfish
Ah I see.. I heard from them early December and applied early November ( Sorry for lack of specific date)

Its really weird that they would ask for extra work :s To be honest I didn't know unis would ask :redface:

Good luck to the both of you! Fingers crossed you hear back soon. :smile:

I forgot to mention, I'm a mature student (23), so I'm applying down a more unconventional route. Hence the extra work...
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
:frown: sorry to hear about your rejection, some very good offers so far though. Did they tell you what your LNAT score was?

Hey thank you Ive sort of gotten over it I mean I got the one I most wanted so I told myself to stop being a stupid cow lol

No they havent told me but I will phone up tomorrow and let you guys know,just for added info! I hope its not that terrible that it ruins my chances at Kings as well.
Reply 1785
Anyone still waiting on York?

As to the which Uni debate - any of the top 20 will be appealing to future employers. More important is degree classification 2:1 or 1st class honours. As much work experience as possible - VAC schemes etc. Contacts made through Law Fairs and Moots as well as pro bono work.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
To be fair, you're hardly the voice of impartiality either.
None of us here really are.

I never said I was, just questioning what his reasons for making that statement were.

As I've said earlier in this post, there is negligible differences between institutes at undergrad level.
Reply 1787
Alright help! I've currently got offers from Southampton, Birmingham, and Bristol, and am still waiting on Warwick and Notts. Out of the offers I have, Bristol is most definitely my favourite. My top choices overall are Bristol and Notts-and the likelihood is that IF I receive an offer from Nottingham (touch wood touch wood touch wood) I would be completely stuck with regards to choosing between them. I'm not 100% certain about going down the Law route after uni, but it is a very definite possibility. With Bristol being the university with the better reputation (possible bone of contention I understand) but Nottingham being ranked more highly for Law, what would other people do? I'm not asking for definite decisions, more things to consider.
Original post by High As A Kite
Yes, the year abroad is very, very enticing!

In your opinion again; would it be better to go to UEA (straight law + year abroad), rather than Sheffield (law + crim) ?

Yes, IMO. Well, it depends what you want to do/go into/what your interests are, but I'd not personally want to take criminology. I'd find it boring, and it probably wouldn't do a great deal for grad prospects.
Reply 1789
Course: all M100 LLB law
Offers: queen mary university of london AAA
University of southampton AAA
University of Hertfodshire 320 ucas points
Thames Valley University 240 ucas points
Just waiting to hear from kings!!! anyone else heard from them/ waiting????
Original post by LPN.
Alright help! I've currently got offers from Southampton, Birmingham, and Bristol, and am still waiting on Warwick and Notts. Out of the offers I have, Bristol is most definitely my favourite. My top choices overall are Bristol and Notts-and the likelihood is that IF I receive an offer from Nottingham (touch wood touch wood touch wood) I would be completely stuck with regards to choosing between them. I'm not 100% certain about going down the Law route after uni, but it is a very definite possibility. With Bristol being the university with the better reputation (possible bone of contention I understand) but Nottingham being ranked more highly for Law, what would other people do? I'm not asking for definite decisions, more things to consider.

The difference between Bristol and Nottingham is so negligible that you should pick based off of which one has the better fit.
Yes, IMO. Well, it depends what you want to do/go into/what your interests are, but I'd not personally want to take criminology. I'd find it boring, and it probably wouldn't do a great deal for grad prospects.

I don't want to do criminology either haha... which is why i asked for a transfer :smile:

I hope to one day earn a living as a lawyer (obviously not set in stone yet). I'm just slightly concerned over what employers may think of UEA. Especially since I have the chance to graduate from Exeter. The question of gaining a higher degree at either is neglibable because it's ultimately down to how well I perform. I'll also spend the first two years at Cornwall Campus (Exeter), where the teaching is 'inferior' to the main site.

:s still have a bit of time to think i suppose. How well would you say UEA is regarded for law?

sorry for pestering you :colondollar:
Hey, can someone take time to look at my sig and cast an opinion on what they would do? *in terms of firm/insurance* ... I know the decision lays with me so please don't rant! I just want to know what other people think, because it's good to gain other opinions.

I'm in the process of trying to get Sheffield to change my course to straight or international law.

thank you to those who have time --

I would say firm Exeter and insure either UEA or Reading.
Original post by LPN.

The question is where would you rather live for three years? Bristol or Nottingham?

I faced a similar decision when applying. You can see from my sig where I chose.

Bristol is such a cosmopolitan city.
Original post by anoushka1
So far I have

You should just be grateful that you got into cambridge and still have an excellent back up with Queen Mary, maybe if you didnt have those offers then you would have a right to feel gutted but tbh you really shouldnt be such a whiner
I don't want to do criminology either haha... which is why i asked for a transfer :smile:

I hope to one day earn a living as a lawyer (obviously not set in stone yet). I'm just slightly concerned over what employers may think of UEA. Especially since I have the chance to graduate from Exeter. The question of gaining a higher degree at either is neglibable because it's ultimately down to how well I perform. I'll also spend the first two years at Cornwall Campus (Exeter), where the teaching is 'inferior' to the main site.

:s still have a bit of time to think i suppose. How well would you say UEA is regarded for law?

sorry for pestering you :colondollar:

Hmm I think if you work hard enough you may be able to overcome the first two years of inferior teaching, especially considering the first year (probably?) won't count.
It's reasonably well regarded so far as I know. Not so much as Sheffield is for straight law I wouldn't think, but more well regarded than your other options I'd say.

On the prestige, I think so long as you aren't trying for the bar or MC firms you shouldn't face too many problems with any of those uni's :smile:
Hmm I think if you work hard enough you may be able to overcome the first two years of inferior teaching, especially considering the first year (probably?) won't count.
It's reasonably well regarded so far as I know. Not so much as Sheffield is for straight law I wouldn't think, but more well regarded than your other options I'd say.

On the prestige, I think so long as you aren't trying for the bar or MC firms you shouldn't face too many problems with any of those uni's :smile:

How strict are MC firms when it comes to University background? Surely, obtaining a 1st or even at 2:1 somewhere outside the top 10, but inside the top 20ish would not rule you out?

I know there are around 34% Oxbridge grads in MC firms; but i understand it's for obvious reasons.
How strict are MC firms when it comes to University background? Surely, obtaining a 1st or even at 2:1 somewhere outside the top 10, but inside the top 20ish would not rule you out?

I know there are around 34% Oxbridge grads in MC firms; but i understand it's for obvious reasons.

38% of trainees come from Oxbridge
65% of trainees come from the top 10
Only 11.7% come from outside the top 20

While its nice and dandy to think a first/high 2:1 from any uni will get you a TC in the MC...as you can see your chances diminish the lower you go.
Original post by Trick12222
You should just be grateful that you got into cambridge and still have an excellent back up with Queen Mary, maybe if you didnt have those offers then you would have a right to feel gutted but tbh you really shouldnt be such a whiner

Hey yh I know lol thats what I said in my previous post, to stop being such a stupid cow
However, a rejection is still a rejection and it always hurts a little, but of course im very luck so rightfully you can have a go at me :smile:
hi.. Ive pretty much been rejected from all the unis I have applied for .. LSE and KCL..... for Law .... I am pretty down..

So, honestly , what are my chances for being accepted at UCL???

I sent off my UCAS the 20th of November,

Did my LNAT in December

Predicted aaa+

does economics, psychology and RS

originally Swedish, but came to england for my alevels 1,5 yrs ago...

Latest

Trending

Trending