The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danielsmith

Thanks! Definately, though I started regretting it after I looked at the map and saw JB is the furthest you can get from the law department! :wink:
I've applied at Bristol, Nottingham, York and Bangor. What about you?

I applied late October so logically it would make sense for me to get a reply after you guys!
I chose JB as I'd rather have self catered, I just wouldn't feel right in catered with no communal area so to speak etc. Think I'd enjoy the experience more than being cooped up in my room most the time! :wink:

you're making me worried now as I didn't apply till early December and have still heard nothing! Saying that, I know people who applied late November and had offers before Christmas, confusing!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by MessyRoom
Got my offer in November :wink:

Biomed at Stephenson College. Happy to go to Durham, not happy it's actually Stockton.

WD on your offer, did you get a conditional or unconditional and what was your offer? Did you defer a year or is this your first year of applying? I noticed so far that most of the biomed offers from Durham have been for those that have deferred. I'm just wondering if any Year 13s applying for the first time this year have had offers?

Thanks in advance and I'll take Stockton anyday . . . . personally, I prefer small
Original post by Wailinza
WD on your offer, did you get a conditional or unconditional and what was your offer? Did you defer a year or is this your first year of applying? I noticed so far that most of the biomed offers from Durham have been for those that have deferred. I'm just wondering if any Year 13s applying for the first time this year have had offers?

Thanks in advance and I'll take Stockton anyday . . . . personally, I prefer small

I actually started a degree in accounting at 18, left after half a year as I wanted a career in healthcare. Took new A-levels and now I've been handed a conditional (ABB) for Biomed, I'll be 21 by September :colondollar:

I sent my application in mid October and got my offer and my college (Stevo) on 18th November. Perhaps I was just lucky I'm not sure. But no I did not defer.
Thanks! Definately, though I started regretting it after I looked at the map and saw JB is the furthest you can get from the law department! :wink:

I applied late October so logically it would make sense for me to get a reply after you guys!
I chose JB as I'd rather have self catered, I just wouldn't feel right in catered with no communal area so to speak etc. Think I'd enjoy the experience more than being cooped up in my room most the time! :wink:

I'm hoping the exercise wandering to the law department might balance out the massive amounts of pizza I'll end up eating with it being self catering, but I think this might just be wishful thinking :biggrin:
I applied to Oxford, UCL, KCL andd Exeter as well.
Original post by MessyRoom
Got my offer in November :wink:

Biomed at Stephenson College. Happy to go to Durham, not happy it's actually Stockton.

Just noticed your offer on the Biomed thread, congrats!! I got one too, but from John Snow college :biggrin:

Are you going to the open day in the spring?
Original post by Seasick Steve
Just noticed your offer on the Biomed thread, congrats!! I got one too, but from John Snow college :biggrin:

Are you going to the open day in the spring?

Yeah I think I will, I've visited Durham but not the Stockton campus so it would be a good idea!

Hopefully people will be up for a pre-freshers drink after the open day.
Reply 3126
Ive had an offer for business and management (ABB) at Stephenson College, i only put it on their to see what happened, dont think ill meet the conditions now as ive been coasting the last 6 months, doing just enough to get CCC and go chester, wish id known sooner :/

Same, JB guarantees you SC plus and an ensuite (Not bad at all :wink:) so it really appealled to me. I've visited Durham breifly but trust me, it's way closer to town than it looks on the map - that scared me too - 15 minutes walk tops. :smile:
Reply 3128
Afraid I'm one of the late applicants. I put my ucas through around mid-late December and I think it was only acknowledged in January after the holidays.

Did my LNAT on 13 Jan. (Just before deadline)

Applying for law, Hatfield college ;D

Hope I'll get an offer though, argh,
Reply 3129
Original post by Wedgely
Haha, that's everyone's reaction..."I'm predicted A*A*A*A at A level and got AAAA at As, but I have crappy GCSE's"

"With those grades, you stand a great chance, what subject are you applying for?"

:smile:

dont count on good grades to get you in anywhere :frown:
i have AAAAAA at As and i'm predicted A*A*A*A*, 4A*s and 10A's at gcse..
also doing history

so far i have two rejections and an offer
and not heard from durham :frown:
Original post by aliceshirley
you're making me worried now as I didn't apply till early December and have still heard nothing! Saying that, I know people who applied late November and had offers before Christmas, confusing!

When did you sit your LNAT? I sat mine on the 23rd Dec, that might have something to do with it too?
Sure you'll be OK, no news is good news atm ! :wink:

Original post by steffanie
I'm hoping the exercise wandering to the law department might balance out the massive amounts of pizza I'll end up eating with it being self catering, but I think this might just be wishful thinking :biggrin:
I applied to Oxford, UCL, KCL andd Exeter as well.

Haha!
Excellent choices, I was gonna apply at Exeter, dont know why I decided against it.

Original post by jwilliamsbr1
Same, JB guarantees you SC plus and an ensuite (Not bad at all :wink:) so it really appealled to me. I've visited Durham breifly but trust me, it's way closer to town than it looks on the map - that scared me too - 15 minutes walk tops. :smile:

Yeah, and we get our own room oppose to having to share at least one term which I didn't like the sound of! I see, I see, and I suppose if there's a few people it won't be so bad :wink:
Reallllly hoping for an offer!
Reply 3131
Original post by 2 Love Learn
Hiya :smile: I'm a Chem Nat Sci and I got my offer just about two weeks back, got rejected from castle but Trevelyan gave me an offer last week - rather disappointed it's not a Bailey college but at least it's Durham.

Don't worry :smile: there's still more than a month to go and the departments still making offers. My friend whose amazingly brilliant hasn't heard back yet for maths. Youre still just as likely to get an offer though maybe not your first choice college :/. What college are you applying for? Good luck! Hopefully I might see you there in October!

I am no longer a Chem NatSci, they emailed and said because Chemistry is so popular they can't offer me a space in that but can still consider me for NatSci without chemistry, so I'm still waiting to hear if I get an offer for biology and maths instead. I was never completely sure if I wanted to do chem or not anyway. I applied to St. Chads but I'm not tooo bothered about college, I didn't really know anything much about the colleges so asked a friends who's sister was at Durham about colleges and her sister suggested that one and it sounded fine so I picked it :P

What offer did you get? What are you doing as well as Chemistry?? Got offers from any other unis yet? Is Durham your first choice??
Hopefully get an offer, and then probably firm Durham unless I decide I really want to do chemistry, in which case I'll accept Nottingham (natsci - chem, bio and maths)
I'm still waiting to hear from Durham, and I really want to go there, but my application hasn't been handed onto a college yet and I applied on 11th October...
Got rejected from Durham yesterday for History, a bit annoying but I have my firm and insurance already so not too bad :smile:
Who's Durham open day-ing? :smile:
Reply 3135
Is anyone who has got an offer from stockton campus?
Original post by BlueEyes_WearsGlasses
I'm still waiting to hear from Durham, and I really want to go there, but my application hasn't been handed onto a college yet and I applied on 11th October...

Same (except on 12th :tongue:) - I'm assuming you are also Oxbridge? :smile:
What are you applying for?
And while it's worrying I take some hope in the fact that no news means no rejection, and they actually have until 31st March to make a decision :rolleyes:
But playing the waiting game is getting pretty tedious...
Original post by wjllpm
Is anyone who has got an offer from stockton campus?

I have, Biomed at Stephenson college. Got it mid November.
Original post by webber8345
Ah yea, that's a shame. though to be fair, law is craazy competitive whereas most of the people for my course were interviewed. My course (human sciences) was very small and was only at 8 colleges. i went to Wadham but I really wasn't a fan when I was there and I didnt really get on with the tutors so that's alright.
My godsister went to new college, it seemed really cool.

haha thats funny about sussex :smile: I'd originally been planning to apply there for human sciences as one of the few universities to do it but they cancelled the course this year so i just decided to apply for anthropology there as i liked the course too.

Thanks, you win some you lose some, and honestly I don't know whether I like their whole 8 week system and emphasis in exams- way to stressful for me (which is why I love Durhma because its kinda a less intensive version of Oxbridge- or I think so :biggrin:)

Anthropoolgy sounds like a really interesting course, I did look into anthropology and archaelology before I applied, and it looked really cool :smile: What ssubjects are you doing at IB then?
Reply 3139
Original post by steffanie
Who's Durham open day-ing? :smile:

I am going for the Mon/Tues Open Day at St Chad's

Latest