The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

9 O'Clock lectures suck :frown:
Reply 5701
Original post by Gesar
The rubbish pure people. The algebra courses all mesh nicely together. (And no, I'm not counting algebraic topology in that :p:)
They've put most of the algebra courses in this term, so you have to do loads of other types of course in the first term and don't get much chance to do other stuff this term. Most of the ones this term are on Tu/Th/S, so you (in a non-specific sense) get to alternate long and short days (obviously whether this is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion). You also get midday lectures six days a week, which is something I don't like, though I might be in the minority.
Reply 5702
Original post by SimonM
I was talking about IB. The only II courses I'm taking this term start at 11 or I'm just reading from books. I learnt my lesson last term.

Ah, ok. I assumed you were doing part II courses.

Original post by harr
They've put most of the algebra courses in this term, so you have to do loads of other types of course in the first term and don't get much chance to do other stuff this term. Most of the ones this term are on Tu/Th/S, so you (in a non-specific sense) get to alternate long and short days (obviously whether this is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion). You also get midday lectures six days a week, which is something I don't like, though I might be in the minority.

I'm in the position where I don't want to do other stuff, so it doesn't bother me. And I have 3 on Tu/Th/Sat (2 on Sat) but I don't like Geometry and Groups lecturer so I'm not attending, and I have two with a gap on MWF. Yes, I have a gap and yes I have a lecture at 12 every day, but for not having 9 o clocks I think it's worth it. I know someone who has 6 9 o clocks a week.
Reply 5703
Original post by Gesar
Ah, ok. I assumed you were doing part II courses..

I am, but only attending lectures for ones which don't require me to get up excessively early
Reply 5704
Original post by Gesar
I'm in the position where I don't want to do other stuff, so it doesn't bother me. And I have 3 on Tu/Th/Sat (2 on Sat) but I don't like Geometry and Groups lecturer so I'm not attending, and I have two with a gap on MWF. Yes, I have a gap and yes I have a lecture at 12 every day, but for not having 9 o clocks I think it's worth it. I know someone who has 6 9 o clocks a week.
I was working on the basis of some sort of ideal algebraist who does the five or six courses that are most algebraic. My not particularly thought through ranking puts 4 of the top 5 on Tu/Th/S.

I also have a gap on M/W/F despite my (almost entirely unsuccessful) attempts to avoid algebra. :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
I didn't know it was possible to attend so few lectures yet have such an awkward timetable. If nothing else, I'll get to do plenty of running.
Original post by Gesar
but I don't like Geometry and Groups lecturer so I'm not attending

Is this how Cambridge rolls? I've seen a lot of posts like this from you guys. Do you not even want to give the guy a chance? He might be great for all you know... not trying to sound like a hater or anything but are you all so jumped up on your own mathematical ability that you won't even try?
Reply 5707
Original post by Hedgeman49
Is this how Cambridge rolls? I've seen a lot of posts like this from you guys. Do you not even want to give the guy a chance? He might be great for all you know... not trying to sound like a hater or anything but are you all so jumped up on your own mathematical ability that you won't even try?

When there are plenty of other courses you can take, literally hundreds of excellent textbooks and supervisors to explain everything else, lectures are pretty much just for entertainment value. If a lecturer isn't very good, there isn't much to gain by wasting 24/16/12 hours of your life listening to them.
Original post by SimonM
When there are plenty of other courses you can take, literally hundreds of excellent textbooks and supervisors to explain everything else, lectures are pretty much just for entertainment value. If a lecturer isn't very good, there isn't much to gain by wasting 24/16/12 hours of your life listening to them.

Fair, but I just find it a bit narrow-minded and dare I say pretentious to decide on this before a course has even started. Whilst I understand that going to lectures isn't compulsory (as is the case for most courses at Bath), I find that a lot of lecturers do add to the raw content (whether that is by running through a particular example, or explaining the concept in a different way to the text) so going to the lectures does aid comprehension.

If this isn't the case at Cambridge please feel free to smite me, and I will offer my sincere apologies.
Reply 5709
Fair, but I just find it a bit narrow-minded and dare I say pretentious to decide on this before a course has even started. Whilst I understand that going to lectures isn't compulsory (as is the case for most courses at Bath), I find that a lot of lecturers do add to the raw content (whether that is by running through a particular example, or explaining the concept in a different way to the text) so going to the lectures does aid comprehension.

If this isn't the case at Cambridge please feel free to smite me, and I will offer my sincere apologies.

The lecture is in the middle of three in a row. The lecturer is very very dull, and the lectures are literally worthless. He has a subset of his notes (available online) on a power point presentation, and talks at us for an hour. What's the point? The course doesn't seem too hard from the examples I've looked at, I have a difficult course straight afterwards that I'd like to be awake for and if I actually bothered attending, I wouldn't be writing anything down so wouldn't pay attention and his voice would send me to sleep.

Usually the only reason for attending a rubbish lecturer's course would be to actually get the notes from him. But his are available online.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5710

I have the same view as you, actually. I find it much easier to do examples sheets on courses which I've been do/paid attention to (ie the ones I've had to write my own notes for), as opposed to the courses which give out printed notes which you get and then fall asleep on.

I have a dilemma this term: I don't want to do too many courses, but at the same time I don't know which courses to drop. There isn't one that particularly stands out as being particularly droppable, but if I don't drop anything then 7 courses is a lot to do. I might end up just going to all the lectures, and then spending more time on certain examples sheets and just do a few questions on others.
Is anybody else just amazed at the human body?

Think about it; somehow an arrangement of molecules leads to memories, impulses can control our movements to pin point accuracies, the body speaks to the mind and the mind replies to the body and even better than that we can somehow predict what movement to make without even thinking during almost any activity, regardless of never having been in the situation before! The way the body just adapts to our current environment and can be shaped and moulded, how we all basically have the same shape and control of our limbs and torso.

Is that not astounding? Surely the most beautiful thing in existence.
Original post by DeanK22

Think about it; somehow an arrangement of molecules leads to memories, impulses can control our movements to pin point accuracies, the body speaks to the mind and the mind replies to the body and even better than that we can somehow predict what movement to make without even thinking during almost any activity, regardless of never having been in the situation before! The way the body just adapts to our current environment and can be shaped and moulded, how we all basically have the same shape and control of our limbs and torso.

no most beutiful thing is e^i*pi = -1 my techer show us in fp2 omg??
Reply 5713
Original post by DeanK22

Are you stoned again?

And no, I'm still in pain from doing far too much exercise in the last 3 days.
Original post by SimonM
Are you stoned again?

And no, I'm still in pain from doing far too much exercise in the last 3 days.

Sounds like you need to relax ...
Reply 5715
Original post by DeanK22
Sounds like you need to relax ...

Tell me about it

Got the easiest exam of my life in 2hours, 25 multiple choice questions consiting of "bob pays his employee £15,000 in cash, how does this affect his bank balance" :biggrin: Followed by 50 marks of adding and subtracting numbers, followed by an essay question which we've already been given xD Why can't all exams be this good!

@ simps / any other poker players -
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29562641 - fancy it?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5717
I find going to lectures helpful. This is why I'm in Algebraic Topology rather than on TSR.
Original post by harr
I find going to lectures helpful. This is why I'm in Algebraic Topology rather than on TSR.

Silly question, but how can you be in a abstract concept?
Original post by Simplicity
Silly question, but how can you be in a abstract concept?

.. probably meant the lecture. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest