The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel- Unit 3 Contested Planet Pre-release

Scroll to see replies

Original post by street.lovin'
1) Different players in energy process? Generally or for North America specifically?

For North America - USA/Canadian/Mexican government, Local authorities (at different states), Individuals (think about NIMBYISM, wind farm process got to go through this)... basically any stakeholders who would gain or lose in energy process...

2) TNCs I don't really know.

so if there's a question which tells you to evaluate the players in the energy process how would you answer it? my minds gone really blank. I think I'm going to fail this exam. thank goodness for June.
Original post by boBbi.J
Wouldn't TNCs be the the oil companies i.e. Gazprom.
although their headquarters may be in Russia they have oil pipes transferring energy all over Western Europe (and expanding).

is exxon mobil, bp, and shell examples of TNCs?
Original post by boBbi.J
I have been spending the last week trying to access this your a life saver!
I don't know if by any chance you have the January question paper?
Or does anyone?:confused:

I only have Jan 2010 for Water Conflict

a) Explain how physical and human factors have contribited to the variation in water scarcity. (10)
b) Using named examples, assess the contribution of large scale of water management project in increasing water scarcity (15)

Another one for Water conflict is in sample assessment material

a) Suggest how water resource and human wellbeing might be affected by the data in figure 2. (Figure 2 on the paper is about the GDP per capita and Water cost in each countries - the country with high GDP has olw water cost and vice a versa) (10 marks)
b) Using named examples, assess the role of different players and decision makers in trying to secure a sustainable water future. (15)
Original post by boBbi.J
Wouldn't TNCs be the the oil companies i.e. Gazprom.
although their headquarters may be in Russia they have oil pipes transferring energy all over Western Europe (and expanding).

Yeah Gazprom could be a TNC, but how is that related to Energy Security in North America though. You might be able to put it down but try to find the effects it will have on North America.

Use BP, it's much more simple. Talk about the BP oil spills.

Original post by Superstar6318

so if there's a question which tells you to evaluate the players in the energy process how would you answer it? my minds gone really blank. I think I'm going to fail this exam. thank goodness for June.

I dont really know much about TNCs but I am pretty sure you can use Exxon and BP as examples of TNCs in Energy Security topic. :smile: Well, you can basically talk about the BP oil spill. In Gulf of Mexico, it's North American related. :P

OH and by the way, recently BP has just got given the permission to exploit oil in the Arctic whihc contains possibly trillions of barrels of oil!!! So, as BP is also operating in North America, it could help the region's energy security!! :smile: Find out about the news!! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Yeah Gazprom could be a TNC, but how is that related to Energy Security in North America though. You might be able to put it down but try to find the effects it will have on North America.

Use BP, it's much more simple. Talk about the BP oil spills.

I dont really know much about TNCs but I am pretty sure you can use Exxon and BP as examples of TNCs in Energy Security topic. :smile: Well, you can basically talk about the BP oil spill. In Gulf of Mexico, it's North American related. :P

OH and by the way, recently BP has just got given the permission to exploit oil in the Arctic whihc contains possibly trillions of barrels of oil!!! So, as BP is also operating in
North America, it could help the region's energy security!! :smile: Find out about the news!! :smile:

also, this is a good thing for the arctic which means that a lot of jobs can be created there
also, this is a good thing for the arctic which means that a lot of jobs can be created there

can be a bad thing as well. Tundra ecosystem will be disrupted. Also extraction would be expensive - they have to melt the ice to be able to pump up the oil. And once the winter comes, they have to keep melting it... But I feel that this is more like the problem for BP and UK and not really for North America. :P
Reply 106

true but with brings a lot of conflict from locals, residents, environmental groups and UN and G8 legislations imposed on countries regarding carbon footprints and CO2 emission. Each country was giving a target to used. You can use this topics to critcise and evaluate.
Reply 107
I only have Jan 2010 for Water Conflict

a) Explain how physical and human factors have contribited to the variation in water scarcity. (10)
b) Using named examples, assess the contribution of large scale of water management project in increasing water scarcity (15)

Another one for Water conflict is in sample assessment material

a) Suggest how water resource and human wellbeing might be affected by the data in figure 2. (Figure 2 on the paper is about the GDP per capita and Water cost in each countries - the country with high GDP has olw water cost and vice a versa) (10 marks)
b) Using named examples, assess the role of different players and decision makers in trying to secure a sustainable water future. (15)

thats actually great I was planning to focus on this topic actually.:cool:
does any one have Jan 2010- superpowers and biodiversity?
Reply 108

yh uses these TNCs as they are related to North America.
Reply 109
Does any one know how to answer this question?
'Referring to examples, asses the validity of the statement that "water conflicts are as much to do with water quality as water quantity"?

mind is literally blank HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by boBbi.J
Does any one know how to answer this question?
'Referring to examples, asses the validity of the statement that "water conflicts are as much to do with water quality as water quantity"?

mind is literally blank HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I did that question for practice.. it was terrible...

you basically have to talk about the effects of poor water quality and reduced water quantity, using examples that you have learned for each of them to illustrate the effects... and then choose which is worse/has caused more conflict..so say 'i think the statement is valid/not valid' :P
Reply 111
I did that question for practice.. it was terrible...

you basically have to talk about the effects of poor water quality and reduced water quantity, using examples that you have learned for each of them to illustrate the effects... and then choose which is worse/has caused more conflict..so say 'i think the statement is valid/not valid' :P

....oh okay so basically is asking you to evaluate two possible theories for the reason for water conflict; poor water quality- an LEDC country with lack of access to water i.e. India, China or low water quantity- an MEDC/Developing country such as the middle East region.

:biggrin:thanks its much easier now that its broken down like that but still don't like it . lol
Reply 112
Good luck tomorrow everyone. I know I will need it.

I am going to pick Tech Fix and Superpowers I think.

Good luck everyone! I am going to go to bed to clear my head so its ready for exam. I wish all of you best of luck.

Dont forget that after the exam is taken, we arent allowed to talk about this exam till wednesday!
Good luck everyone! I am going to go to bed to clear my head so its ready for exam. I wish all of you best of luck.

Dont forget that after the exam is taken, we arent allowed to talk about this exam till wednesday!

really? surely everyone takes it at the same time anyway to prevent cheating etc?
Reply 115
really? surely everyone takes it at the same time anyway to prevent cheating etc?

..everyone in the UK has to do it within the hour. Plus Edxcel is a national bored so students in other countries that are ahead or behind could cheat.
Gooooooooooooood Luck
Meh, Synoptic was easy
first half was blahhhh

(dont worry im not going to discuss the answers :biggrin:)
To confirm the above, you cannot discuss this exam until midnight, so I'm going to close this thread until then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending