The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zxh800
Vermaelen?

Didn't cover himself with glory the last time Barca came to the Emirates. I'm not that worried about which defenders are available. Obviously someone better than Silvestre starting should help but otherwise Barca will be able to cut us open with ease no matter who's playing. Key attacking players being out would be a bigger problem because it's clear that we'll have to score a lot of goals to get through.

No injury problems ahead of tomorrow's game: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/no-fresh-injuries-for-carling-cup-semi-final

I hope Wenger puts out a strong team. We used this competition to check out some of the fringe players but:
1) Some of the promising youngsters we did see (or could've seen) have ****ed off on loan e.g. Lansbury, Ramsey, JET
2)The fringe players -- Denilson, Bendtner etc. have been given many chances in the last few weeks and have failed to put in one good performance

And though I don't care much about the competition, with the FA Cup fixture on the weekend being even easier than this on paper, there's no excuse for not playing the best available XI. I'm guessing everyone remembers the semi-final from 2006. We were in a very similar position: lost the first leg 1-0. We actually fielded a strong team for the return leg iirc -- Bergkamp and Henry were definitely starting. We ended up going out on away goals in extra time. It's quite possible we'll concede again tomorrow and that means we'll have to score 3 goals. A weakened side isn't going to do that. Same XI that started the last game please, Arsene!
Reply 2181
Original post by Overmars
Didn't cover himself with glory the last time Barca came to the Emirates. I'm not that worried about which defenders are available. Obviously someone better than Silvestre starting should help but otherwise Barca will be able to cut us open with ease no matter who's playing. Key attacking players being out would be a bigger problem because it's clear that we'll have to score a lot of goals to get through.

True that, I can't imagine how we'll stop them. It seems like an impossible task....almost.
My mate's an Ipswich fan going to the Emirates to watch it. I will be very drunk watching the game since it's also my last exam tomorrow morning. :ahee:
Original post by Hoozo
Last time i checked Reina played for Liverpool...
What the players did/do is irrelevant but what the actual managment of the clubs were/are doing is very similar.

Reina didn't force the shirt on him actually.. Puyol and Pique did so uh yeah check again? We weren't complaining about Barca making bids. What we were complaining about was the utterly disgraceful behaviour of Barca's players etc.
Reply 2184
Original post by CupidStunt
Reina didn't force the shirt on him actually.. Puyol and Pique did so uh yeah check again? We weren't complaining about Barca making bids. What we were complaining about was the utterly disgraceful behaviour of Barca's players etc.

Reina played a part and you cant deny that. You complained about there very public pursual of him. Whats different?
:rolleyes: Arsenal are not doing the same thing at all...

"We've given up on the idea of him arriving now, but maybe he'll come in January when Arsenal are out of the Premier League title race" Xavi
Also their vice-chairman saying he was forced to remain at Arsenal.

All Wenger has done is said he's interested and put in a bid (?)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Richiboi
I would send vela to the graveyard to activate my magic card- cold night at the britannia.

But as for a player- Schweinsteiger has that combo of engine-toughness-passing, just like wilshere.

Gosh I loved Yu-Gi-Oh. Seto was amazing as was his blue-eyes :smile: it was funny how pot of greed was played in virtually every episode yet each character felt the need to explain what it did from scratch.
Original post by Hoozo
Reina played a part and you cant deny that. You complained about there very public pursual of him. Whats different?

Try reading the responses before posting. No Arsenal player has disrespected southampton football club, no arsenal player has claimed chamberlain has arsenal dna, no arsenal player has said a move was inevitable, no arsenal player has disrespected the player. These are all things barca player HAVE done and it's completely out of order. No-one had a problem with barca management bidding for cesc, people had a problem with how their players acted. With chamberlain, this isn't the case. Get it now?
Original post by Hoozo

I would reply to you (yet again) exlaining why it's different but more than enough people have, I don't feel it's necessary.
I don't think the 'Barca DNA' comments were disrespectful, tbh, he came through their academy so he would have that. Their comments about Arsenal not challenging were disrespectful, though.
Original post by Hoozo
And Wengers comments today were not uneccesary? If that wont unsettle a player then I dont know what will. Wenger should not have gone public with it and kept it behind closed doors. Much like he wanted Barca to do...

There's been rumours for a few weeks now, it's not like it's a shock to him that we've made a bid. Whilst Adkins has said they don't need to sell, his comments suggest he may be willing to do a deal if it would further his career, and coming to Arsenal would aid his progression
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2191
Going to the game today. :yeah: Does anyone know around what time I ought to get to the stadium to avoid the rush (etc) ?
Reply 2192
Original post by Economist
There's been rumours for a few weeks now, it's not like it's a shock to him that we've made a bid. Whilst Adkins has said they don't need to sell, his comments suggest he may be willing to do a deal if it would further his career, and coming to Arsenal would aid his progression

No Adkins comments were he is not for sale. Much like Pardew did with Lallana. If Arsenal cant respect that then they shouldnt complain about Barca. There have been Barca - Fabregas rumuors for years; but does that mean anything? Not at all. Wenger is clearly being a hypocrite here.
If we get Alex Chamberlain, we've got JET and now Miyaichi now. Time for Arshavin to pack his bags?
Original post by Hoozo
No Adkins comments were he is not for sale. Much like Pardew did with Lallana. If Arsenal cant respect that then they shouldnt complain about Barca. There have been Barca - Fabregas rumuors for years; but does that mean anything? Not at all. Wenger is clearly being a hypocrite here.

'If a scenario happens further down the line that for Alex's career might be of benefit then obviously the right decisions for the right type of football club obviously come into consideration''

We've made a bid, if he really isnt for sale then you will turn it down immediately and that's that, I suspect that may not be the case though.
The grief with Barca is the arrogance with which the club operate, assuming they can just get Cesc when they want, not the fact they've made two bids.
Reply 2195
JK.
OP
Original post by Abiraleft
Going to the game today. :yeah: Does anyone know around what time I ought to get to the stadium to avoid the rush (etc) ?

Anything more than 10mins before kick off and you'll be in quickly. :yy:
Reply 2196
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/25/arsenal-carling-cup-ipswich

The Guardian, Wojciech Szczesny
The Arsenal goalkeeper, Wojciech Szczesny, has warned Ipswich Town they can park the bus, or as many tractors as they want, in front of their goal at Emirates Stadium tonight, but Arsenal will break through the barrier and reach the Carling Cup final.

:toofunny:
:rofl2:

Chesney could go down as a great.
(edited 13 years ago)
I like him. He's a dick, but he knows he's a dick. 5 clean sheets, 4 goals conceded in 9 games suggests he's doing well so far. He shares that same arrogant/confident/dominant aura that Lehmann had. He hasn't been tested all that much so far though and I think he needs a few 'match-winning' saves (like Fabianski has made) before we can start judging his current true ability. The potential is clear for all to see.
So what are the predictions ?
I predict any more than 2 - 3 changes to our strongest lineup will screw us up.
If not 3-0 to us . Theres hope!

Latest