The Student Room Group

Do Universities prefer harder exam boards or not?

My school for all my subjects (science and maths) are OCR for A-levels. I personally think OCR is the hardest exam board, just wondering if universities actually take this into consideration because it's it's way harder to get an A than in Edexcel or AQA etc. Any opinions or comments? :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I reckon as long as the subject is sound and not some soft option wet head lazy choice then you should be fine good strong subjects english a science and possible a language good passes in these will show a well rounded intelligent individual
Reply 2
Original post by UPPSY
I reckon as long as the subject is sound and not some soft option wet head lazy choice then you should be fine good strong subjects english a science and possible a language good passes in these will show a well rounded intelligent individual

per-lease! its a bit snobbish isnt it. Just because a subject might not be the 'top-wanted' doesn't mean its a lazy choice. My friend wants to be a photographer and puts his all into his photography coursework which actually consists of alot of analysis and technical terms. At the end of the day its about grades not subjects unless they're connected to the subject you want to study at university. AQA or OCR are just as credible to one another. And its not as if the individual can choose their exam board anyway. it's what the school chooses.

Ask teachers their opinions on which is the hardest exam, for example my history teacher always enforces the Edexcel exam board because she says its the hardest.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by anomynous
My school for all my subjects (science and maths) are OCR for A-levels. I personally think OCR is the hardest exam board, just wondering if universities actually take this into consideration because it's it's way harder to get an A than in Edexcel or AQA etc. Any opinions or comments? :redface:

OCR is actually the easiest. You get 9 attempts at practicals for OCR chemistry and only 2 attempts at practicals for AQA physics.
Reply 4
Original post by Freerider101
OCR is actually the easiest. You get 9 attempts at practicals for OCR chemistry and only 2 attempts at practicals for AQA physics.

Physics is different from chemistry, what are the usual percentage grade boundaries for AQA then?. Most of my GCSE subjects were AQA and only one which was OCR i did badly at :colondollar:
Reply 5
Trust me it wouldn't matter as long you focused and did well in your chosen subjects.

And OCR is actually easy compared to AQA :eek:
Reply 6

If all your A-levels are with OCR, how would you know that they're the hardest?
Reply 7
I do think OCR is a bit harder, but it's VERY unlikely universities will care.
Move to scotland and do advanced highers instead :tongue:

That's the real solution.
Reply 9

CCEA is a pretty killer exam board.
Original post by Freerider101

9 attempts? i thought you only get 3? :confused:
I don't believe that they are going to check EVERYONES exam board for EVERY single subject. Especially when some courses are getting easily 1000+ applicants.
I highly doubt the universities are going to take the exam board into consideration as your raw marks are converted to UMS to ensure that you don't have an advantage by choosing an easier exam board.
Original post by Jing_jing
I highly doubt the universities are going to take the exam board into consideration as your raw marks are converted to UMS to ensure that you don't have an advantage by choosing an easier exam board.

Well, that's the "aim".

It wouldn't surprise me if there were slight difference between the boards, but at any rate, the universities won't care.
Reply 14
Original post by ginge4693
If all your A-levels are with OCR, how would you know that they're the hardest?

You still would'nt know even if you had an exam from each board; they're different subjects, I don't think you can compare.
I really doubt that the exam board of your subjects counts for much... you dont get a choice in the matter for one... plus there's so many people applying for each subject... uni's are more interested in the subjects, grades, target grades and your personal statement tbh :/ :smile:
For A level biology this is soooooo false AQA biology is imo the most diffcult a level maybe ever. Not only in my opinion i know med students that got A* in maths further maths chemistry?physics but got A in biology im telling you right now maybe not for Chemistry i dont know but Biology A level AQA is the worst ever corrupt exam series ive ever seen or heard of pure evil i tell you pure evil.:angry:
Reply 17
They shouldn't do. Purely because your average student has pretty much no say over which exam board they happen to be sitting.
Whenever I've taken a qualification with OCR I've found it harder to get a good grade in than with other exam boards. I found that Edexcel were the easiest.
Reply 19
I really doubt it lol. It's your talent at the subject that impacts your grades at the end of the day. I like OCR for History, but for English Lit, no way! I did quite well at the subject when my school used AQA at GCSE, but at A Level it screwed everyone's coursework grades over -_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending