The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by channy
Does anyone know if it's normal to feel nauseous after wearing glasses for the first time?

I think some people do. I don't wear mine full time, so it still feels a bit weird every time I put them on.

If it persists, you might have the wrong prescription, but that would probably also come with headaches and eyestrain.
Reply 7201
Original post by unknownking321
I don't know whether to watch The Kids Are All Right. :dontknow: I probably watch it eventually.

I found it to be very awkward, but funny in parts. It's a decent film though.
Original post by cambo211

This has made me question my will to live...
Lost Highway is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Abysmal pacing, a story that simply doesn't make any sense and nor do I care enough about any of the characters to try and work it out. Lynch is definitely not on top form here.

It's like deja vu. MTV UK are going to film Geordie Shore. :mute:

You cannot be serious.
Original post by Phalanges
Lost Highway is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Abysmal pacing, a story that simply doesn't make any sense and nor do I care enough about any of the characters to try and work it out. Lynch is definitely not on top form here.

You cannot be serious.

I agree, Lost Highway and Wild at Heart is where he went a bit shaky. It's not a very good film. However, Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, The Elephant Man and Blue Velvet are excellent. Not to mention that he also created the TV show Twin Peaks, and if you haven't seen it, then you're missing out on some of the finest horror to be seen on TV. I really don't see why Ebert has given Blue Velvet and Elephant Man really low ratings. Maybe they're not to his taste. He has rated Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire highly though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Saw Easy A. Big 'meh' from me tbh.

You cannot be serious.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/24/mtv-jersey-shore-geordie-shore

I am excited. Although I don't know how well it will transfer; no council estate chav called Mazza is ever going to be as cool as the Situation.

Also, they blatantly stole this idea from our posts. We need to work quickly to set our Harry Potter TV series in motion before we get blindsided again!
Whoever writes the film section of Lancasters student newspaper is either really stupid or mental. Today was their overview of the film year and they said that the film season doesn't kick off until the release of 'The Hangover 2'.

:facepalm:
Oscars nominees: http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/83/nominees.html

Most are standard, but some surprises make me happy. Get in Javier Bardem. Get in Nicole Kidman. Get in Inside Job and Exit Through the Gift Shop - that's going to be a really close race I think (but no Catfish, which should have definitely gotten an editing nod :sad:).

But woah, woah, woah. You're going to nominate Tron: Legacy in Sound Editing, but not for it's score or original song, and completely snub it for visual effects? What the **** is going on with awards people and this film, have they all lost the plot or something?
No Nolan? :holmes:

No Nolan? :holmes:

Not that surprising really, the only one out of the nominees that I'd maybe have put him ahead of is David O. Russell, but that seems to be a really big hit in America. Fincher's going to win for sure, Hooper and Aronofsky were a certainty, and the Coens are far too good at the game to ever not get nominated.

Actually, that's something that I've just noticed; Haillee Steinfeld's nominated in supporting actress not leading! Very shrewd play there, given that she's probably got a fair chance of winning.
John Hawkes needs to win for Winter's Bone. And as some sort of retroactive recognition for Deadwood. :p:
Although I wouldn't be annoyed if Geoffrey Rush or Jeremy Renner got it tbh. Cinematography should go to Inception. Best picture is obviously going to go to Social Network, but it should go to Winter's Bone, True Grit or Inception.
(edited 13 years ago)
The Academy are fools for giving Harry Potter a visual effects nod and not Tron. Seems like their elitism has reared its ugly head again. I'm hoping Fincher gets the Best Director award.
Original post by Christien

John Hawkes needs to win for Winter's Bone. And as some sort of retroactive recognition for Deadwood. :p:
Although I wouldn't be annoyed if Geoffrey Rush or Jeremy Renner got it tbh. Cinematography should go to Inception. Best picture is obviously going to go to Social Network, but it should go to Winter's Bone, True Grit or Inception.

My money would be on Christian Bale for supporting actor (I think I might have to do an accumulator again - would have won £100 last year if it wasn't for ****ing Sandra Bullock :dry:).

Best picture should really go to Toy Story 3 I think (even though it's guaranteed for Social Network). Simply because it's the most universally loved film of the year.
My money would be on Christian Bale for supporting actor (I think I might have to do an accumulator again - would have won £100 last year if it wasn't for ****ing Sandra Bullock :dry:).

Best picture should really go to Toy Story 3 I think (even though it's guaranteed for Social Network). Simply because it's the most universally loved film of the year.

I haven't seen The Fighter, so I can't really comment on Bale. ****ing Sandra Bullock. She ruins everything. Toy Story 3 would be a good shout, but it's too deep in the animation ghetto for them to even consider it.

Also, if Hailee Steinfeld doesn't get best supporting (which is a joke, as Mattie Ross is the main character) the contest will be even more worthless than it usually is.
Sorkin should definitely win the Adapted Screenplay award. He's brilliant: "You are probably going to be a very successful computer person, but you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd, but I want you to know from the bottom of my heart, that won't be true. It'll be because you're an *******."

Zing!

http://www.deadline.com/tag/aaron-sorkin-screenplay/

Some of you are showing possible disapproval at The Social Network getting the Best Picture award. Do you not think it's deserving?
(edited 13 years ago)
Accumulator:

Colin Firth (actor)
Annette Bening (actress)
Christian Bale (support)
Hailee Steinfeld (support)
David Fincher (director)
The Social Network (film)
Biutiful (foreign language)

odds of 75.24/1 :teeth:

I haven't seen The Fighter, so I can't really comment on Bale. ****ing Sandra Bullock. She ruins everything. Toy Story 3 would be a good shout, but it's too deep in the animation ghetto for them to even consider it.

Also, if Hailee Steinfeld doesn't get best supporting (which is a joke, as Mattie Ross is the main character) the contest will be even more worthless than it usually is.

I have a friend that saw it last week and he said Bale is incredible in it, plus he has a lot of screen time.

I can't quite believe they've managed to get Steinfeld nominated in best supporting actress. But yeah, I'll be disappointed if you she doesn't take away a gong, although she had no chance in best actress. But Melissa Leo has quite a bit of support behind her for The Fighter, so I don't think it's a sure thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending